Spell of Sight [Final]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Name: Spell of Sight

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: The caster may use any reflective surface to observe another person, regardless of the distance separating them.

Limitations: The spell requires sacrificing something, or someone, close to the caster. The more powerful the connection, the stronger and longer the spell lasts.
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Re: Spell of Sight

I can see the point in using a reflective surface to make a magical communication window to talk to someone else, what with scrying pools and the like.

However, I can't see the point of why the caster would need to destroy something or kill people to do so. That doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
  3. Quill

That was my attempt to keep it from being abused, like a constant spying device. You know, the "you must have a piece of the user to cast this spell," built on with "oh but this piece can only be used once." If you think that the Limitations section makes no sense, that's cool with me.
  4. Rising Dragon

Given how its designed for communication between two people, it would have to be both ways, so that the other end needs a reflective surface, else it won't work. And since it IS communication, the other person would be able to see or perhaps sense the connection forming, so it's bloody inefficient at spying.
  5. Quill

Well, I actually hadn't intended this to be capable of communication. While that's not a bad idea, it was originally intended only to be one-way observation.
  6. Rising Dragon

Could've sworn I read something about communication in this thing earlier...
  7. Quill

-shrug- Sounds like we were both just talking about two different treasures. So, with that in mind, how is this? Do you still think the limitation should be removed, should it be left as-is, or should it be changed?

8. Rising Dragon

As a regular scrying spell, it's fine. I think it should fail if a user is warding against observation spells and the like, though, but we currently don't have any treasures like that, IIRC.
  9. Quill

Is that a [1/2] then?
  10. Rising Dragon

Yeah, [1/2].
  11. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

This easily has the potential to be the creepiest spell in the entire LoT. That said, idea sounds good, I would probably say for limitations, though, that there needs to be at least something. What about if the person needed to know the object and object's location beforehand? So I couldn't just cast this on the mirror in your house, because I've no idea where the mirror would be, what it would look like, and so on. (Or do I? :sarcasm:)

Also if I do know all of that and I cast this spell on your mirror while you're shaving, or something, does that mean you'd stop seeing your reflection and just start seeing me staring at you?
  12. Quill

Re: Spell of Sight [1/2]

Well, you are a Serb. I wouldn't be surprised if you knew what my mirror looked like :U

Also, I think we're on two slightly different pages. I intended the caster to use a reflective surface on his end, but I didn't think that there would need to be a reflective surface on the other end. I mean, it's cool if people want to do that, and I'm open for discussion on whether it should be a part of the spell, I just wanted to clarify my original thoughts.

Needing to know the target's location beforehand is a good limitation.
  13. Ribitta

I feel like this would be too potent, if it couldn't alert the person they were being spied upon in some fashion. I mean, I understand that defeats the point of spying, but I think something could be reached that allowed for clever uses.

As it stands, if I got the royal visit to the throne room one day, I could just watch everything from one of the vases for all time, or something. Maybe they've "warded" it or whatnot, but you get the point. It's still your spell, so if you can understand my reasoning and worries I would prefer your opinions on what to do next, regarding this. The object could glow, make a humming noise, need to be reflective, go two ways, etc. etc. I don't think there's necessarily a best solution to prescribe, so let me know what you're thinking, I suppose.
  14. Quill

Two-way. How's this, Ribs?

15. Ribitta

Works for me. [2/2]
  16. Quill

Re: Spell of Sight [2/2]

How's dis