<Somewhat SPOILER> Skyward Sword Silent Realms

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Navi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Navi

Navi New Member new

Hey guys =)

So I know I haven't been on here in a LONG time... or at all actually. I'm pretty sure the last post I made was on Hylian Shield hahaha. But I'm in the middle of playing Skyward Sword (which I'm absolutely LOVING by the way) and I keep having this thought that I had to share with someone. You guys are the only people that I could think of to really talk to about it! To put it into perspective, I just finished the 3rd silent realm in the Eldin Volcano area (Yes I know I'm behind but what can I say? I work full time! Plus I've wasted a LOT of time running around, exploring, and wasting time.)

Here's that thought:

I HATE THE SILENT REALMS.

Yeah, I guess they're a cool little additive thing in the game. They make total sense to the story line. They add some great, heart-pumping excitement in the middle of all of this searching and puzzle solving. But dammit, I HATE THEM.

They make me nervous. When I have 90 seconds to find these stupid tears that I can't freaking find even though I'm picking up the pearls that show you where they are... 90 seconds just ain't enough. THEN they put in those stupid phantom things in the LEAST convenient spots that make you immediately run out of time when there usually isn't a tear in sight. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the feeling of 10 different phantom dudes with big ass swords chasing me around a huge area when I know if I get caught I'll have to start all over again.

I've never been so animated during a game than during these freaking silent realms. I'm on the edge of my seat, then I'm standing, waving my arms in the air, as I inch closer and closer to that tear right next to the dude trying to kill me... THENNN I'm good. I can sit back down for about 60 more seconds before I start getting nervous again. OH WAIT. I touched the water on accident. Now they're after me again......

Now, I've been through the first 3 of these and I have yet to fail one. Though I've gotten WAY too close too many times, almost causing myself a panic attack in the process.

It's definitely a cool part of the game, though extremely nerve wrecking. They DID do it well... and I guess it's kinda fun in the big spectrum of it all... If you can call my heart racing a million beats a second "fun".
  2. Navi

Navi New Member new

Oh, last thing I forgot to mention. I can't even tell you how many times I've either almost or completely ran out of stamina at the absolutely WORST of times in these realms. So nerve wrecking...

I've literally wasted hours running around Skyloft doing side quests (or doing nothing at all) and on the surface collecting bugs and monster treasures just so I could avoid doing these realms a little bit longer.
  3. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Hey Navi! Long time no see (you should, you know, come here more often. Just sayin.)

Anyway, I still have yet to get SS, been so busy with work its been hard. But week after christmas I will be picking it up! I've heard its pretty good, but these do sound sort of annoying lol.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I agree with Bitoko's statement in regards to your presence, Navi.

Anyway, it's starting to seem like I'm the only one who actually likes Silent Realms. maybe I like suspense? The change of pace? The only thing that bothers me is it gets a little old by the time you get to the last one. Thanks for putting in your input as to why you dislike them though, as now I have something more to go off than "they're just bad."

...Although I'm honestly surprised they can make you that panicky. Never play a good horror game. :tpr:
  5. Navi

Navi New Member new

I don't know why they bother me so much. I mean, I totally agree with people that like them for the reasons that they like them, I just find myself not wanting to pick up the controller and actually PLAY when I know a Silent Realm is the next thing I have to do. I guess I like the <i>idea</i> of them, I just don't like actually <i>doing</i> them.

I do agree though, Guy, that they add some much needed suspense to the game. It really is a cool part of SS (although I know I have another one coming and I'm dreading it...). I just could <i>personally</i> do without the panic attack it gives me ever time I do one haha.

As for horror games, the only ones I've really ever played were Resident Evil (4 was my fav!), and they make me somewhat nervous (especially because shooter games have never been my forte), but never like this! Maybe it's because I just get WAYYY too much in to my Zelda games =D

I'll try to stick around every now and again. I check in a lot to just to see how everyone is doing and if there's a lot of people I recognize still active (hey! there is!), but life is even crazier for me now than it was back in the HS days. The ONE good thing, though, is I have a somewhat desk job that allows me to spend a good amount of time on the computer =) I have to limit it, though, because Hylian Shield got me into trouble a couple times at a former job... OOPPS =)

I doubt I'll be RPing anytime soon, but I'll be around ;)
  6. Navi

Navi New Member new

Oh, and Toko... I go DAYS without playing sometimes. I still have a lot to go but I'm enjoying how slow it's taking me to beat it. Even though I'm busy and can't always play, it keeps me in suspense and makes the experience of this wonderful new Zelda adventure even better for me. I'm going to be sad once I beat it haha

What I'm saying, though, is if you want to play it... DO IT! Like... now because it's a GREAT game haha. But if you don't have a ton of time to beat it because you really can't focus on it right now, don't worry about it. It actually makes the experience even better! For me, anyways =)
  7. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

I bought the game and played it over thanksgiving weekend... But I had to go back to college and was left wiiless. :( But I did get to the first silent realm. It was pretty fun but I won on complete dumb luck... Never listen to your little brother when he says he thinks you can go THROUGH the water as a shortcut... It is a TERRIBLE idea. The freaking way was barred and the phantoms were after me in the exact opposite corner... And there were no more tears >.>

Despite that, I think they're pretty fun :)