Solving a murder mystery [closed] (Tsu, BP, and squishy)

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Tsubori, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

It was a beautiful blue-skied day in Hyrule Castle Town. Birds soared though the air, and most people were going about their business as usual. I the higher end of town, a group of people had gathered outside the illustrious manor of Richard Snargleton, a local rich man. All that had been released to the public was that he had been murdered, nothing more. Guards stationed outside prevented people from entering, and when one woman requested that they be allowed inside, the guard pushed her back. “The only one who gets to go inside is the photographer. Dammit, where is he?”

“Don’t worry, little girl, Jimmy will get your cat down from the tree.” Masaro Otak said as he looked up.

The girl looked around for any other people. “Jimmy? But… There’s nobody else here…” And that was when Masaro took out his pet rock.

“And here we gooo!” He said, lobbing the rock towards the cat. The tabby saw the rock coming wide-eyed and jumped out of the tree towards its owner. Masaro walked towards the other tide of the tree, picking up Jimmy and putting him back in his bag. The girl was glaring daggers at the man, but he was oblivious. “You’re welcome! Ah, do I ever like helping people.” He then continued on his way towards the Snargleton manor, where apparently his photography skills were needed. He took out his pictograph box, getting it ready for plenty of usage.
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Today was a beautiful day. And one of those rare days on which Eugene was in Castle Town. Being there always filled him with a sense of peace.
    Just as he was standing there, looking into the sun, someone bumped into him.

"Oh, I do apologize!" Eugene said, and he turned around. A little girl with a cat in her arms stood behind him. She had an angry look on her face and the cat didn't look very pleased either.
    "Is something the matter, little girl?"

The girl sniffed, on the verge of tears.
    "There was this weird guy who threw a rock at Tommy to get him out of a tree!" She said, stroking the cat's head.
    Eugene stared at her, dumbstruck.

"A rock you say?" Well, that certainly wasn't the most subtle method, but it was effective, seeing the girl was holding the cat and not standing under a tree trying to get him out.
    The girl nodded, tears were blinking in the corners of her eyes. Eugene always felt a little uncomfortable around crying children, and searched for something sweet in his bag.
    "Here!" He handed the girl a sweet. "No tears, okay? You've got your cat back and the scary man's gone." And with that he was on his way again, walking at a leisurely pace until he came to a building surrounded by a lot of people.

'Have you heard?' One of the people said. 'Mr. Snargleton was found murdered this morning!'
  3. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Ni'Ran came to his senses in the canopy of a tree, as usual. This time he had slept a little longer than had been the plan... he leapt off of his branch, looking around once he hit the ground. Further down the road, some guy had just thrown a rock at a tree. A cat came jumping down, so Ni'Ran figured that had been the goal.

At any rate, he thought as he stretched, he had something to do here, did he not? Last night, he'd heard someone had been murdered. Some rich guy... for something like that to happen in Hyrule Castle Town, he felt a little suspicious of it all. He spread his arms and took off, his wings popping out as soon as his feet lost contact with the ground.

It was not hard to find the Snargleton manor- there weren't that many mass-gatherings in town today. Ni'Ran's high vantage point meant he didn't have to stand in line in order to see the manor- however, he couldn't see what was happening IN the manor either. If only he had been able to look thought the walls and roof...

Deciding he couldn't circle the party forever, he flew lower before pulling back his wings and plummeting the remainder of the way down. Landing on his feet, he stretched one arm so Alice could land on it. She had been following him around all this time and seemed confused, herself. "Looks like a fun party," he muttered to the Deku standing around. "Where can I buy tickets?"
  4. Tsubori

With a smile on his face, Masaro started nearing the crowd, taking a picture of it. It was always good to get a picture of the turn-out. Unfortunately, the number of people made it very difficult to reach the front, where he needed to go. He tried briefly to push his way through the crowd, but it proved too hard. Everyone wanted to be in front to see what was going on.

Masaro looked around with a look of confusion on his face. He saw a nearby Rito and Deku talking, so he walked over to them. "Hello! I'm Masaro Otak, the photographer for the murder." He motioned to his camera. "And as you can see, there's quite a few people out here, so I can't get by. Would it be too much to ask if I'd be able to get a lift to the front? I'll even let you into the crime scene with me."

Thinking for a moment, Masaro scratched his head. "Well, I ask you because you can fly. That's not racist, is it?"
  5. Squishy

Eugene looked up at the Hylian.

"Well, I'm afraid I'm not of much use if you want to get over a wall. My girl's too small to fire someone of your size." He said, patting the cannon next to him. "Perhaps our feathered friend here can help." He looked up at the Rito, and then back to the Hylian. "But you're the photographer, eh? You have any idea what's going on here? Can't say I knew the poor man myself, but being murdered in these parts of town is...well, uncommon."

And it was. Sure, there was rivalry among the well-off nobles in this part of town, and someone dying in a duel over a lady or someone's honour was not unheard of, but noone had ever been murdered in their own home.

Then Eugene realised something.

"Oh! But pardon my manners, I completely forgot to introduce myself! I am Eugene Flasheart, it's a pleasure." He held out his hand to the Hylian and the Rito.
  6. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The Deku butted in before Ni'Ran could reply to the Hylian, but he allowed him to finish speaking. "I'm called Ni'Ran. This one here is Alice." Alice screeched, causing the nearest people into fright. "I'm afraid I cannot carry you there, sir. Not only is it impossible for me to fly while using my arms, it is far too crowded in front to land." He looked at the Kargorok on his arm.

"We'd need something to clear the way for us... something of a projectile..." Alice lowered her head and tilted it, giving him a 'don't even think about it' look. Sadly for her, Ni'Ran was the bigger bird. "Let me try something." He raised his arm, and Alice refused to take off. "Stupid chicken..." He pulled out a rat-like creature out of his sling bag and threw it into the mass. People screamed in horror, and Alice immediately shot after it.

People moved out of the way, and Ni'Ran grabbed the photographer by the wrist to drag him into the openings created by the Kargorok. When they found her eating the dead rat, he laughed. "...and I believe that settles half the distance."
  7. Tsubori

Beaming all the while, Masaro made his way forward with the other two, and now halfway, he saw Alice eating the rat. “You’ve got a cute pet! I have one too. I bet he could get us the rest of the way there!” He pulled out Jimmy, throwing him into the crowd ahead. One scream of pain later, the crowd parted again, and one larger man was feeling the back of his head. Masaro walked up, scooping Jimmy off the ground. The man scowled.

“You bastard! You could have killed me!” He reared his fist back, but was quickly stopped by the guards.

“There you are! We’ve been waiting for you. Come on, Mr. Otak.” The guard kept between Masaro and the other man, and the former motioning for the other two to follow as well.

“So, we just need you to take pictures of anything interesting you see.” The guard said, leading him towards the scene of the murder.

“Anything interesting huh?” He immediately snaps pictures of Ni’ran, Eugene and the guard.

“I… Meant if it has to do with the case!” He snapped. “And… Who are these two?”

“They’re my helpers. You know, Helping to spot evidence and stuff.”

“Right…. Well… we don’t need you for evidence, just crime scene pictures.” He stopped just in front of a large door. “Alright, here it is. Now, don’t touch anything, we clear?”
  8. Squishy

"Your helpers? Sure." The photo had surprised him a bit, if he had known he would have made himself look a little better. Nonetheless Eugene followed Masaro into the mansion.

It was dark in the mansion, everything had been left as it had been at the moment of the murder, so the lights in the hallway were off. Everywhere were guards, trying to find little pieces of evidence that could help solve the murder.

"It's a gloomy place, that for sure." Eugene said as the looked at the dark and heavily deceorated hall around him. "I'd have a little more light in the place, if it were mine. I'm not too fond of dark places." He parked his cannon near the door, lugging that thing up the stairs would be wasted effort, why would he have to fire a cannon inside a house?

A guard came towards them and motioned them to follow him upstairs, to the study.
    "He's in here. I have to warn you though, it might not be pretty to look at." The guard warned, and he opened the door.

It was a gruesome sight.
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    When Alice hopped back onto Ni'Ran's arm, she cawed loudly at Masaro throwing a rock into the crowd. Ni'Ran could only look at it. He supposed his method had not been any more subtle than this, but at least he could claim Alice had just spotted the rat and... oh, well. It got the job done. When the man hit by Masaro's throwing arm prepared to punch the boy, Ni'Ran's eyes narrowed slightly and his hand moved to his sword, but he dropped all hostility when the guards came to collect them.

However, not before Masaro snapped a picture of him. Alice cawed again, and Ni'Ran put his hand on her beak to calm her. He and the Deku were named helpers, to which he didn't bother objecting. It would get him a chance to see what had happened here. Once in the study, he stopped dead in his tracks.

Now, he was tough. Had always been tough, even back on Dragon Roost Island. But what he saw in the study was beyond gross. Kargoroks sometimes partook in cadavers, so he grabbed Alice's legs together just to ensure she wouldn't dig in.

"Whoever killed him sure wanted to make sure he was dead..." he muttered, looking at Masaro to see if he was as disturbed as he, himself was.
  10. Tsubori

Masaro looked at the scene quizzically, peering at the body and taking a picture of it. The man was in an extravagant bathrobe, white and red, but now even more red from the blood all over the place, with the site of contact being his face, many lacerations from the hard impacts. "Wow, either this guy really loved red Chuchu jelly or the person who did this really liked hitting him!" 

Two guards patrolled the bedroom, looking for any clues as to who the murderer was. The guard with Masaro, Eugene and Ni'Ran pointed them over to the wall where a portrait sat crooked on the wall, a large bloodstain on the side of the golden frame. Within the frame was a painting of the victim himself. Taking another picture, this time of the side of the portrait, Masaro turned to the guards. "So, is there any other evidence, or just the Chuchu jelly?" 

The man shrugged. "There hasn't been much, but you're welcome to look around. He was killed about two hours ago, so most trails should be fresh. If you find anything decent, bring it to me, or come get me." Masaro then nodded, walking off in search of clues.
  11. Squishy

"Hmm...Well, I prefer not to look at this...grisly sight for too long." Eugene turned away from inspecting the victim's body and headed over to the desk. There were papers everywhere. The wind coming from the open window had sent them flying through the room.

"I'll just sort this out, see if there's anything useful." Eugene grabbed a pile of papers and started sorting them. Most of it was just correspondence with friends, relatives and the occasional mistress. Apperently, Mr. Snargleton was a popular man. Or not...
    One of the letters on the desk stood out from the rest. Instead of starting with a friendly 'Dear Richard/Mr. Snargleton' it simply went straight to business:

'We want our money. Or actions will be taken against you.
    You have until the end of the week. Do NOT try to trick us, we are watching you.'

At the bottom of the paper was a black handprint, made with the same ink as the rest of the message was written with.

"Uh, say, my dear fellows. What about this?" Eugene showed the letter to Masaro.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.