Solemn

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Bitoko, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Slowly the sun crept from its hiding place far to the west, illuminating the grass that covered Hyrule Field. Large Oak trees cast dancing shadows on the floor Dagoro and his dog, Duke, had slept on the prior night. Duke's large head lifted as he felt the warmth of the Sun's light embraced his silky fur; slowly the dog arose and stretched with a loud groan. He then went and pawed at Dagoro's back, awakening his master as he had done so many times before. With the groan of a rusty door, Dagoro carefully unrolled himself, standing and stretching out his cramped muscles.

"Hey their, Duke," said the Goron, petting the giant dog's head. Duke lept up and put his paws on Dagoro's chest, begging for more attention. Dagoro chuckled at his dog, reaching into his backpack and pulling out a piece of jerky to feed his hungry dog. "There you go boy. Sleep well?"

Dagoro and Duke had been friends for the past three years, having ran into each other outside of Nabooru they quickly took a liking to each other. Since that day, they had never left each other's sides, fostering a great loyalty to each other. Whenever one of them was threatened, the other was always there in their defense; together the two made an excellent team.

After the Goron had arisen and gotten his things in order, he lifted his head towards Castle-Town. After the long night of thought he had had concerning his father, he felt the need to visit his father and assure that he was doing well. "Come on Duke," he said. "Lets go see Papa." Waving at his dog to follow, Dagoro turned and began walking towards the gates of Hyrule's greatest City.

The morning was pleasant, being considerably warmer than the previous night had been, and while a nice cool breeze flowed through Duke's silky hair and brushed up against Dagoro's face, the Goron couldn't help but enjoy the walk to Castle-Town. Duke boomed a deep bark, expressing his own enjoyment while asking for another piece of jerky which Dagoro promptly tossed to him. Though, despite their beautiful surroundings, Dagoro's mind slowly crept back to his Father's condition, it was a thought that often came to his mind.

Before he realized it, he and Duke had reached the bustling atmosphere of Castle-Town. Duke barked once again to get Dagoro's attention, Forgor, who played a part in taking care of his father, was sitting in front of them a few yards. Looking up, Dagoro saw him and smiled. "Forgor!" he yelled. "Hey, buddy!"

Forgor was a young goron, in his teens. His father had run the Goron Rock Candy Shop before the siege of Ganon, Forgor himself was too young to help at the time. Around ten years ago, Dagoro had carried his father on his shoulder all the way from Death Mountain to Tango's shop, pleading for help. Tango, and his son, Forgor, both showed the generosity of the Goron by taking in Dagoro's Father; they had offered Dagoro a home as well, but he could not bare to stay in one place with evil threatening to spread. Dagoro did, however, visit the shop and his father often, causing him to develop a great relationship with Tango and especially Forgor.

"Dago!" shouted Forgor with an air of joy in his voice. "I was hoping I'd see you soon! Before you ask, your dad is doing as well as he always is."

"Haha, thats good to hear," said Dagoro, grabbing his little friend and scrubbing his head. "How have you and Tango been lately?"

Forgor pushed his way out of Dagoro's strong arms, smiling. "Oh you know, good as always," he answered. "We have been rounding up rocks to feed to the Goron of the Slums. It's been really tough work, but its been worth it, you know?"

"Yeah, thats great bud," this news made Dagoro glad. "Do you need any help?"

"No, no. We have done pretty well," said Forgor, petting the elated Duke. "But let's head to the house, I'm sure your father would be happy to see you."

With that the three of them left the gates of Castle-Town and made their way up the hill to the Goron Slums. The long walk seemed short to Dagoro, as he and Forgor spent the whole trip catching up with each other, swapping stories about their lives and recent doings. After a thirty minute walk, the group had made it to the Goron Slums. Forgor hopped up to their door and swung it open. "Dad, Goroth, guess who's here?"

"Duke?" asked Tango, laughing. Duke barged in the door and tackled Tango, licking his stony face. "Haha, I knew it! Dagoro, how are you old boy?"

"I'm doing great Tango, how's life been for you?" this he said as he stepped in and shut the door.

"Oh same ole' same ole'," replied the old Goron, he had grown a white stone beard because of his age. "Been taking care of your father, as well as trying to feed the other Gorons. Been hard work, but we are always willing to help."

Dagoro looked at his face, his giant smile was etched across a very worn face. "Well I brought you guys some rocks from the Northern Hills," he told him. "You know, just to thank you for what you've done for my father and I. I hope its enough."

"Oh my Dago, you shouldn't have," Tango was taken aback by this kindness expressed by his friend. Dagoro then emptied a large sack of succulent rock on top of their old wooden table. "Thank you so much, my friend. Forgor, go get Goroth."

Forgor then ran into the next room, and in a moment, rolled Dagoro's father out into the main room. Unfolding him, he sat Goroth up on a chair in front of Dagoro. "Dago, my son.." said Goroth, softly. "Hu, how have you been?"

His father was beaming at him. "Great, Dad," replied Dagoro. "I love you. Have you been doing good?"

"Oh, um... yes, I have," said Goroth, smiling. Duke then went up and began to lick Goroth's face, which caused him to laugh. The only feeling Goroth had left was in his face, and he loved it when Duke showed him his affection in this way. "Oh Duke, if only I could... pet you." Duke barked kindly and returned to Dagoro's side.

Dagoro then spent a majority of the day speaking to his father, Tango, and Forgor. He loved being here and speaking with them, it took his mind away from Death Mountain and the war that was taking place. The warm morning had soon turned into a waning afternoon, being around six o'clock. Dagoro said his goodbyes for the evening and left their shop, Duke following closely.

"Well, lets find a place to stay for the night," Dagoro said to his dog. There was an inn down the road that served a good ale, this sounded pleasant to the Goron. It was getting dark as slowly they made their way to an Inn just outside the Goron Slums, this Inn was called "The Sky's Roof," and Dagoro had spent many a night there. It was his usual ritual, visit his father, then stay at the Sky's Roof. Dagoro opened the door, and walked in to the brightly lit Inn.
  2. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    The late afternoon sun was what woke Belneth from his slumber, causing him to finally sit up. He had been up late playing for the patrons of "The Sky's Roof" and had been up even later drinking ale. He stood and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, then proceeded to pull his clothes on, sheath his blade, and fix his hat. With all of his posessions in hand, Belneth walked down to the main area of the inn, where he ordered a light meal to calm his hungry stomach. The innkeeper, and also the man who had hired him during his stay in Castle-Town, brought him his meal so he could eat and be out for the day. Belneth didn't have any plans specifically, he just liked to be out and about in the city, seeing if he can't meet any pretty ladies or any daring adventurers to learn more stories from.

~~~

Nothing, what an absolutely boring day this was, Belneth thought to himself as he strummed on his lute, a cheery and echoing melody while singing a song of lush forests and simple lives living in a small town. It was already early evening, and after sleeping away have the day, and found nothing interesting in town and was now back at the inn playing for the crowd there for dinner, drinks and relaxation from their travels. Of course, not even that would be going well tonight, it seemed.

Some fool in the crowd, a burly man who spoke in a deep voice was complaining his lofty toon was putting him to sleep. Sighing, Belneth switched up into a quicker tune, and sang a song about travelling a dark place and battling evil as the hero attempted to stop monsterous forces. It was one of his more favorite tunes, but the man soon started to complain about this too.

Listen sir, just because you have no taste in music, doesn't mean everyone shares you opinion, Belneth thought to himself. Switching tunes again, he started to place a quick and tune, but then suddenly stopped. The crowd was confused, but Belneth had stopped himself from playing the Song of Storms. An impressive peice of music, but not something someone plays on a whim. Shaking his head, he started up a tune that was much more lively, a dance number he had adapted from a tune he heard his sister sing.

Goddess, this is going to be a long night.
  3. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

The Sky's Roof inn was always as it had been to Dagoro, light, cheerful, and full of music. Slowly he brought himself and his dog to the Bar and promptly ordered a mug of milk. Looking to his left he noticed the new hylian Bard that the innkeeper had obviously recently hired. His music was pleasant to Dagoro's ears, it had been a long while since he had had the chance to relax in an inn amongst the ambiance of a graceful melody.

"Here you are, Dago," said the innkeeper, sliding the Goron a mug of milk. "And here's something for yer little friend."

Dagoro nodded with appreciation to the innkeeper while placing the dish of milk he had given him intended for Duke on the floor. Duke began to wag his tail while immediately slurping up the warm milk. He was glad his father was doing well, he never stopped worrying about it, yet it had been several years so perhaps he should. Dagoro proceeded to grab his mug and drink the milk slowly, relishing the atmosphere of a peaceful disposition.

It wasn't long, however, before Dagoro noticed a rather obnoxious and unruly patron in the bar. He seemed to be giving the new Bard a very hard time about something, most likely his choice of music. This hylian was obviously severely drunken of ale, and over time had become hostile towards to the Bard. Dagoro was not the kind to let an innocent man be bullied around by the likes of this hylian, and after a moment of debate, he decided to intervene.

"Excuse me, lad," Dagoro said, putting is very large hand on the drunken Hylian's shoulder. "Is there a problem here?"
  4. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    "Excuse you indeed," the man muttered as he turned around. Either he was too drunk or too confindent in his own strength, but this man didn't seem taken back by the Goron. "There is a problem actually. Me and my friends here work hard all day, protecting people from monsters and we deserve better entertainment then this crap."

Belneth stopped playing once more, this time though he was angry. "Hey! Listen here you brute, just because you don't have the simplest ability to notice something good when it's right infront of you, doesn't mean everyone has the intellegence of an Octorok like you," Belneth shouted from the small stage where he had been playing his songs.

Belneth soon regretted letting his temper flare, it just wasn't a good day for him it seemed, since at the shout of the drunken man, him and his four other Hylian friends jumped up. They were probably just as drunk, as they just started throwing punches left and right. Their leader took a swing at the Goron who had so rudely harassed him, while two of his friends backed him up while the other two went for the bard.

"This isn't good at all," Belneth muttered as he jumped off the stage, clearing a table of patrons as he hit the ground in a roll. With his lute in his left hand, he scrambled to his feet and started to run as the two men pushed people out of the way to get around the table and charge at him. Leaping onto another table, he quickly apologized to the people there as he turned and jumped over top of the men, who crashed into the table. Landing in a crouch, Belneth quickly jumped up as the one man turned about, smashing his lute into the man's face.

Belneth looked down at his look, sighing as he tossed the lute to the side before the second man came up behind him and grabbed him around the arms, picking him off the ground in a massive bear hug. Belneth kicked his legs wildly as he struggled to get free before the man squeezed all the air out of him.

Not my day at all!
  5. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

What had just happened? Were they serious? These and other thoughts were racing through Dagoro's mind as he was trying to grab a hold of the situation. The drunken Hylian man had just hit him in the chest, while two others, presumably his friends, had gotten up to face the goron as well. Somewhat taken aback by these sudden turn of events, Dagoro picked up the hylian that had hit him and threw him against a nearby table, ale and milk flew everywhere. One of the other hylians had jumped on Dagoro's back, holding him in a head lock, while the other grabbed a chair and began to swing it at the goron's belly.

Dagoro doubled over, that swing had knocked the air out of him effectively. Duke, who had always gone to his masters defense, bit the chair swinging hylian in the arm, latching on and causing him to surrender. In the mean time, with the other hylian still hanging on his neck, Dagoro noticed the hylian he had thrown had gotten up and was now headed his way with a large stone mug in hand. With a loud grunt, Dagoro reached back and pulled the hylian off his back and threw him at the advancing hylian, knocking them both back a few yards.

Dagoro had had enough, reaching back he pulled out his hammer, Gorath the Smasher, and using both arms, swung it into a table busting it in half. Duke barked fiercely, snarling alongside his master.

"Bring it on," the monstrous Goron yelled.
  6. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Belneth was still struggling, but the man wasn't letting go, so Belneth quickly swung his headwards and smashed his head into the man's face. The man reeled back, holding his face and dropping Belneth, who landed on the ground and gasped for air. Standing up, he fixed his hat and turned around as the man came and punched him in the face. Belneth stumbled backwards into another patron, who pushed him off. The man stepped forward to punch the bard again, but Belneth kicked quickly with his right foot, striking the man where it hurts.

As the man doubled over, Belneth bowed slightly, then walked beside the man and pulled the man's head back as he stuck his right foot behind his feet, tripping the brute and watching him slam into the ground. "Hmm, maybe there is some merit to the bigger they are..." Belneth trailed off as a table smashed, the Goron who had tried to stick up for the bard had smashed it with a warhammer.

"Bravo," Belneth muttered as the one who he had smashed his lute off of was getting up. Turning about, Belneth took a defensive stance as he motioned for the man to come at him. As the man charged, Belneth waited for the last moment before stepping to the side and pulling a chair into his place. The man ran into the chair and tripped, flying head over heels to the ground.
  7. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

As he looked around the room, Dagoro noticed that not only had they caused a great mess in his favorite in, but that all of the drunken hylians were lying on the floor, thoroughly beaten. Not to far away from him he saw the bard whom he had tried to stand up for. He seemed to be ok, aside from a roughed up appearance. Dagoro streightened up, slinging his hammer back on his back, Duke continued to snarl, watching the attackers for any aggressive movement.

"The names Dagoro," he said, studying the bard. He seemed more capable then he had first thought. "Are you alright? Nasty brawl, heh."
  8. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Belneth turned to the Goron, swiping off his hat and bowing in one smooth move. "The name's Belneth Finder, pleasure to meet you my good man, and thank you for your fine taste in music, and to a lesser extent helping with these thugs." Putting his hat back on his head, he rubbed his jaw as it was still in numbing pain from being punched earlier. "As for the fight, I'm fine thank you, not my first one after all," Belneth laughed.

"Hey Bard, what's with the bar brawl? Your paying for this, and your services are through and I want you out of here," the Innkeeper barked at Belneth, who sighed. "What have I done to anger the Goddesses," he muttered under his breath as he reached into his pouch and despoited a red rupee in the man's outstretched hand.

"Well, thank you kindly for your help good Dagoro, but it looks like I have to get going. Plus," he said, showing two blue rupees in his hand, "I need to go purchase another Lute. I hope I meet you again though, for it has been a long time since I met a Goron as mighty as you."

With those words, Belneth turned and went out the door, whistling a tune to himself as he went to go find some kind of store still open to purchase a new instrument.

((Minus 20 Rupees to pay for the barfight))
  9. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Dagoro was a bit taken aback, after doing what he could to stick up for this hylian, he seemingly brushed it off like it was nothing. Dumbfounded, he watched the bard pay for the damages, get fired, and exit the building. On one side of his conscience, Dagoro was slightly angry at this, but the stronger side of him felt bad for costing the hylian his job and went after him.

"Hey," he yelled after the bard. Duke barked to get the hylian's attention. "Hey, Wait up!"

Dagoro ran down the busy street, weaving between commuters returning to their residences for the night. The air outside was a bit chilly, he had noticed, for he could see his breath. He could see the bards head down the way, obviously he hadn't heard the Goron's call for him.

"Sorry," he said as he bumped into several people. "Excuse me.... sorry.... Bard!"
  10. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Belneth walked down the street, nimbly avoiding other people as he strolled down the road, keeping an eye open for anywhere he might purchase a replacement lute. Hearing shouts behind him, he heard the deep tone of a larger fellow and the cries of people being bumped from their chosen path by the large fellow. Curious, the Bard turned about to glance up at the large Goron from earlier.

"I say, dear Dagoro, my name is Belneth. I remembered yours after all," Belneth grinned, then laughed. "I mean no harm in that after all." Belneth glanced from the Goron to his dog then back at the Goron again. "How can I be of assisstance, my good man. Do you find yourself in need of a Bard? If so, I pray you wait until I can get a new lute, the store I know is somewhere."

Whatever it was the Goron wanted, he was confident that the man knew how to walk and talk, and so he set off again on his less-then-exciting quest to find a shop that sold instruments.
  11. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Dagoro studied the Hylian called Belneth carefully. He was a curious man, one as such that Dagoro had little experience with. Again, it had seemed, that the Hylian wasn't to interested in what he had to say, as he had addressed Dagoro and promptly turned about and continued his way down the alley. The Goron and his Dog followed step alongside the Hylian.

The orange evening sky was getting ever darker, and as the evening cooled, shop owners and housekeepers began to light bright lanterns across the city. Dagoro turned his head down at the peculiar Hylian, and as Duke began to grow with hunger, spoke to him.

"Hey look," he began. "About back there, I just wanted to say sorry. You probably had the situation under control, and I started a huge bar fight that lost you your job. I want to pay you back, somehow..."

Dagoro's sentence trailed off, as he scratched the back of his stony head. This whole thing had become awkward, as it seemed Belneth was the type to not really care about, well, anything.
  12. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Belneth smirked, "the barfight wasn't a big concern, perhaps even fun, if not heavy on my coin purse." He thought for a moment as he arrived outside the music store he had been looking for, not a moment too soon as the sky was dark and the shopkeep would soon be leaving.

"Listen Dagoro, if you wish to make it up to me, then I would gladly accept your assistance in making some cash. Generally, I make my way playing for taverns, but that usually only buys my food or lodging. When I need extra cash, I take up jobs the general populace can't do. One second," Belneth said as he slipped into the shop for a moment, coming out ten rupees poorer and one lute richer.

"Where was I, oh yes," he said, strumming the first string on the lute. "I could use someone of your strength and size while fighting off the scum of Ganon's forces, assuming that is on the odd jobs section of the public announcement board."

"So, what say you?"

((Minus 10 rupees.))
  13. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

The Goron stared at Belneth intensely. Being a person of integrity, Dagoro felt it imperative that he do something of value to make up what he had lost for Belneth. The Hylian's proposal had some weight to it; it was definitely dangerous, and something that would normally require a bit of thought.

"Alright, I'll do it," replied Dagoro without too much hesitation. Gaining a sort of vengeance for what Ganon had did to his father was something that he had wanted for years now, and perhaps this could be his chance to do so. Duke, his dog, ran up ahead of them, barking playfully, he had sensed the excitement that was beginning to swell within his master. "I've been itching for a good fight!"

Duke returned to them quickly, holding a stick in his mouth. Dagoro patted his faithful hound on the head, grabbed the stick it had laid before his feet, and tossed it down the dark stone street.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.