Solar Stun

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Flamine de sol

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: A large beam of light energy.

Description of Function: Upon generating a ball of light on an instrument for about four seconds, the user can strike forward and make a blast of light that has a range of about 40 m for five seconds, though it’s trajectory can’t be changed after firing. It travels in a straight line but is unable to penetrate objects well. This makes armor a big issue. Despite not penetrating things well, it still delivers a force capable of pushing things back pretty well unless anchored. If unarmored, this spell will deal very heavy damage, As with many other projectile spells, this is able to be fired from the mouth or hands if wisdom is at or above 4. (Picture a character firing this from their mouth, if you will)

Limitations: Has a four second charge time, requires wisdom 3 or higher, requires the user to have at least 4 treasures with the light tag.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Re: Flamine de Sol

First off, PWC prereqs are no-nos. Second, I get the feeling like you're trying to make the Light major treasure duplicate of Fell Transformation. If so, this... would not work. On multiple levels. Even if it wasn't, though, this basically feels like Samus' Final Smash from Brawl.

Major Treasure or not, this doesn't really get my vote. It's pretty much a "laser-beam" attack with a huge prereq with a Spanish name.
  3. Tsubori

Actually Latin. It's also nowhere near as big as samus' FS attack and is basically just a high damage light beam. I... Also don't see any similarities between this and Fell Transformation. At most, it requires you to have some experience and knowledge in light abilities. Is that really that similar?
  4. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

He's saying it's similar in the idea that it is the ultimate Light-based ability, similar to how Fell Transformation is the ultimate Dark-based ability.
  5. Tsubori

That's bad... Why? Is there something that says there can't be a powerful light attack? With all the attention being given to the fact that dark abilities drive down Light resistance like crazy, should there not be light attacks to actually use?

and yes Quill, that's basically the effect.
  6. Quill

Of course not. Nobody's saying that light attacks are bad :U

What I'm saying is that if something's going to be taking up the Ultimate light attack, it should be something other than "laser beam."

Also, the bit about "yes Quill" is my fault. I deleted that, but you obviously already saw it. I must have gone through about four editions of that post before finally trashing it, so I'm not sure which one you're responding to. What exactly do you mean by 'extremely damaging except to obstacles'?

In essence, the attack itself is sound. You're basically trying to make a light-beam treasure. However, I get the feeling that it's being built up to something it isn't, both with the fluffy description and the massive prereqs.
  7. Tsubori

The idea is that if it hits you, you feel the full effect and it deals dramatic damage. But if light were to hit something like armor, it'd most likely do nothing. And if it's being built up higher than it is, would it be possible to strengthen it then? Perhaps make it Canon by having it immobilize the enemy?
  8. Quill

When I say that I'm reading this as being built up higher than it is, I mean that I'm reading this as Major Treasure. So, no. Now, that's not to say that we can't toy with this treasure's effects. I just mean that this is going to stay firmly as a Standard Treasure unless something very persuading comes along to change my mind.

Immobilization is good, especially since it's Canon. The fact that this only works against bare flesh is a big limitation, but I would suggest picking either damage or immobilization. Personally, I'd be in favor of immobilization, not only because it's canon, but it's also more unique. Status effect is just... more preferable than plain "damages", especially as the Library stands right now.

Also, this would be the only treasure in the Library that's in a different language iirc. I would rather not start now. Maybe another staffer thinks differently, but I'm in favor of having an English title. We write in English, we chat in English, let's title in English.
  9. Tsubori

Okay. So immobilization, but note that the effect still works on stuff like clothing, unless it's one that acts as armor or there are many layers. And considering how Zelda uses the spell for sealing, would a name like Sealing Ray be better?
  10. Quill

Well, you're not actually sealing anything, and neither did Zelda iirc. If memory serves, this attack was just to hold G-man down so Link could deliver the final blow.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't this work against armor?
  11. Tsubori

Well, I figured with clothing, the light goes through stitches and such to reach the user, but with armor, it's similar to actually hitting a wall. And what names would you recommend? As I am at work, I'm low on ideas.
  12. Quill

That makes sense. I've pulled my shirt up over my head enough times to know that it doesn't completely block out light.

Something English :tpr: Uhm... names, yeesh. Something simple, mayhe, like "Hold"? Dunno.
  13. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Magic's still likely to work on a target, armor or no armor. Link wore armor in Twilight Princess and still took damage from Zelda's light projectile, after all.
  14. Tsubori

Difference being that te attack in TP was an orb of magic, while this is literally a beam of light.
  15. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Yeah, IF this gets accepted it needs a name change. The Latin language does not exist in Hyrule so this name would be meaningless to in game characters. Also, if its a beam of light powerful enough to push you back or harm you, armor wouldn't really do much, and if you did have armor on, like metals, they would heat up to be really hot if nothing else. It would also likely cause things to catch on fire much like a super powered magnified glass would.
  16. Tsubori

From how Quill and I have been talking, I thought the knickknack was being removed...? And was about Solar stun?
  17. Quill

Ya, I was under the impression that this would be a light-beam spell that only held a person paralyzed. Solar Stun sounds good to me, Tsu. If you could post this' updated fields, that may help the confusion.

This is shaping up to be a good treasure, Tsu. Good job!
  18. Tsubori

Name: Solar Stun

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: A large beam of light energy.

Description of Function: Upon generating a ball of light on an instrument for about four seconds, the user can strike forward and make a blast of light that has a range of about 40 m for five seconds, though it’s trajectory can’t be changed after firing. It travels in a straight line but is unable to penetrate objects well. This makes armor a big issue. Despite not penetrating things well, this attack will immobilize an enemy if it hits. This stun lasts for the duration of the beam, and the enemy is slightly slowed down as the effect wears off. On enemies with Dark affinity or a weakness to Light, this attack is capable of dealing notable damage. As with many other projectile spells, this is able to be fired from the mouth or hands if wisdom is at or above 4. (Picture a character firing this from their mouth, if you will)

Limitations: Has a four second charge time, requires the user to have at least 4 treasures with the light tag.
  19. Quill

My biggest problem atm is the "requires the caster to have at least 4 treasures with the light tag." I don't really see why this is necessary. This is a basic stun spell, not a huge slam-pap-pow that's so powerful that it needs a massive prereq to balance itself. I'm also thinking that, unlike the other projectile spells, the norm for this treasure be the hands. Since we're basing this off of canon, it makes sense to follow how it was cast. I'm for flipping the 'is normally cast through an instrument but can be casted through hands/mouth if W4+' on its head.

Let me just make sure I have this right:

"

The caster can fire a fixed beam of light which paralyzes its target. The direction of the blast cannot be changed, and it can only be fired after the caster takes several seconds to prepare himself. The light fades after approximately five seconds, and the target will rapidly begin to regain mobility once it has. If the target is weak to Light magic, it will sustain damage according to the severity of its susceptibility. This beam can reach up to 40m, but only if no obstacles block its path.

If the caster has at least a Wisdom of 4: This spell, normally cast through the hands, may be fired from the mouth or some sort of instrument.

"

[1/2] for the above.
  20. Tsubori

Yup, that makes sense to me. The prereq was more for when it really was that powerful of a spell.