Snap Trap

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Snap Trap
    P/W/C Type: Wisdom or Courage
    Appearance: The explosion is smokeless, but makes a standard “Yellowish” bang.
    Description of Function: User casts the spell on a fist sized mundane object in their hand. Upon the next time the caster snaps their fingers, this object will let out a cherry bomb sized explosion, strong enough to stun and maybe knock back, but extremely unlikely to kill. The object is not destroyed or damaged in the blast, but it can only be detonated once.
    Limitations: Object must be fist sized or less. User must have hands :haa:
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

What I'm wondering is how many of these can be in-place at once. Say I lay several of these around a room and snap my fingers; will the room go up in bangs? Also, does distance play into the snapping? Do I have to be in the room, or can I pull a Joker?

Also, what if the object's damaged? Will it still work? (thinks about enchanting food)
  3. Tsubori

Oh crap, missed that point. In my plans, I stated that you could only use it on one object. And that you could be anywhere. It just may be hard to tell when a good time to use it would be. As for food, I suppose if the thing was damaged, the spell would fade. That'd be unfair if someone swallows a candy and gets their throat exploded, because that WOULD kill someone very painfully.
  4. Quill

This treasure's use seems to be almost entirely for dramatic effect; however, this is not a bad thing. The explosion seems strong enough to make it a kind of "trickster" treasure while still being usable against enemies, especially fully sentient enemies. I would consider making the snap not required, though; a trigger would make this more widely usable. The title's fine, especially if the first example given of a trigger is a snap, but that's what I would recommend doing. That could open this treasure up to claps, certain words, maybe even the sound of a door slamming shut or the rustle of bedsheets being pushed back; the possibilities for this treasure's use expand.

Also, the "only detonated once" thing just seems like a strange limitation to me, especially if that never wears off. I'm also wondering why the object wouldn't be damaged at all; where would the explosion come from? Finally, are there any time limitations with recasting, or no?
  5. Tsubori

I'll agree with the clap/stuff/etc thing, and I put "It may only be detonated once because we don't want anyone strapping it to someone's head and spamming it. As for the way it doesn't destroy the item, this is to prevent people from destroying important objects like keys or such. Perhaps it's a thin layer of magic on the outside that explodes outwards. I'd probably put a time limiter of an hour on it before the enchantment wears off. Annnnd.... The time between? I'd say no time limit between enchanting another item, but you can only have one active at a time, so it'd be hard to imagine anyone abusing it THAT much. As for it being a trickster treasure, it also works well for thieves when it comes to distracting guards or such.
  6. Quill

Just to keep everything easy-to-see, can you please make a post with the updated fields? Thanks.
  7. Tsubori

Name: Snap Trap
    P/W/C Type: Wisdom or Courage
    Appearance: The explosion is smokeless, but makes a standard “Yellowish” bang.
    Description of Function: User casts the spell on a fist sized mundane object in their hand. Upon the next time the caster uses a predetermined trigger such as snapping their fingers, this object will let out a cherry bomb sized explosion, strong enough to stun and maybe knock back, but extremely unlikely to kill. The object is not destroyed or damaged in the blast, but it can only be detonated once and you can only cast on one object at a time. If the object becomes damaged the spell fades, and the object must be at least a centimeter wide. (To prevent someone using a grain of sand or salt or something.
    Limitations: Object must be fist sized or less, but larger than a centimeter wide. Only one active explosive at once.
  8. Quill

Just Courage would be fine here. I can't see a reason for this to apply to both. Also, since you say that the object must be fist-sized you don't need the "centimeter wide bit" since most grains of salt aren't going to be that big. I think we can leave that up to "duh," personally; it shouldn't need a phrase, unless someone else thinks that it's needed to prevent abuse.
  9. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

2/2 Ready for takeoff.
  10. Quill

How's dis?

`Snap Trap
    Original: Tsubori, Spell - Utility
    [Enchantment], [Explosive]

C5: 20 rupees
    C4: 35 rupees
    C3: 50 rupees
    C2: 75 rupees
    C1: 100 rupees

The caster may enchant a fist-sized mundane object in his hand to explode the next time he uses a predetermined trigger, such as snapping his fingers or saying a certain phrase. The object will then let out an explosion the size of a cherry-bomb, strong enough to stun anyone nearby, but extremely unlikely to be fatal. The explosion does not damage the object, but it can only be enchanted once. If the object is somehow damaged, the spell will fade. This spell can only be used on one object at a time.
  11. Tsubori

Sure, looks good to me.