Slow

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Name: Slow

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: A projectile spell that covers the target area in a molasses-like haze

Description of Function: Slows all movement within area of effect by 1/3. Lasts for thirty minutes or until the caster chooses to dispel it. For every Wisdom point past 2 the time increases by 10 minutes.

Limitations: The spell's perimeter can be no larger than about 20ft. The spell does not differentiate between friend, foe, and caster. If the spell is recast while still in effect, the new casting supersedes the old.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I like this, but I actually feel it's kind of overpowered, mostly just in the time aspect. Naturally, I'm kind of against the having wisdom increase the effect incrementally; instead, I would say about 10 minute-duration, flat, actually.

I feel like this spell would have a much greater advantage in-doors than out. If you imagine having a chase through alleyways or in a house or something and putting this spell in a gauntlet, the effects could be completely devastating to the foe. I *like* it for that, but having the effect last for potentially an hour I feel is over the top, especially when you could theoretically just re-cast the thing the second the situation changes to another gauntlet.
  3. Quill

Better?

Appearance: A projectile spell that covers the target area in a molasses-like haze

Description of Function: Slows all movement within area of effect by 1/3. Lasts for ten minutes or until the caster chooses to dispel it.

Limitations: The spell's perimeter can be no larger than about 20ft. The spell does not differentiate between friend, foe, and caster. If the spell is recast while still in effect, the new casting supersedes the old.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Looks good to me.
  5. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I have a question. Is this spell a hard one to cast? Is there a limit to the size of the sticky pond you are creating? Is there a limit as to how often you can create it?
  6. Quill

Not quite sure what you mean by that. If you're referring to start-up lag, currently there's nothing there. I could make a "after a few seconds of concentrating" thing, but isn't that generally assumed?

Now that I think on it, that would be a good thing to do. Otherwise, you could just keep backing up and recasting it on where the person is now, keeping them theoretically trapped forever in the movement slowing haze. Maybe just add the standard "a few minutes" thing. I think that making a start-up lag, an ending-lag, and a reduction to a flat 10 minute effect is a little much. I think an ending-lag would make the most sense, but if there's that I don't really think this needs a start-up lag.

Unless you meant a "three times per day" sorta thing.
  7. Quill

Updating this, and realized that I typed "by 1/3" when I actually meant "to 1/3" (of the original speed). Sorry. Hopefully you're still fine with this, Ribs.

Description of Function: Slows all movement within area of effect to 1/3 of the original speed. Lasts for ten minutes or until the caster chooses to dispel it.

Limitations: The spell's perimeter can be no larger than about 20ft. The spell does not differentiate between friend, foe, and caster. If the spell is recast while still in effect, the new casting supersedes the old. This spell cannot be re-cast until several minutes have passed since the last casting faded. Takes a few seconds to cast (is this implied, or do you think it's needed to prevent abuse?).
  8. Quill

How's dis?

EDIT: Upon talking with Ribs, the effect was changed from "to 1/3" to "to 1/2"

`Slow
    Original: Quill, Spell - Defense
    [Alteration], [Disable], [Time]

W5: 45 rupees
    W4: 60 rupees
    W3: 90 rupees
    W2: 120 rupees
    W1: 240 rupees

The user may cast a projectile spell which covers the target area in a molasses-like haze which slows all movement within it to about 1/2 original speed. The haze's perimeter can be no larger than about 20ft, and it does not differentiate between friend, foe, and caster. This spell takes a few seconds to cast and cannot be recast until several minutes have passed since the last casting faded. The haze lingers for a maximum of ten minutes but can be dispelled by the caster at any time.
  9. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

It works, I guess.