Skulltulas in the Western Caves [Completed]

Discussion in 'Quest Bureau' started by Quill, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

((NOTE: THIS STORY HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE SOUTHERN HYRULE FORUM. PLEASE GO THERE TO READ THIS, AS THIS IS ONLY THE FIRST INSTALLMENT AND IS UNEDITED))

"Are you sure you're up for this, boy?"

"I'm sure. Don't worry sir, I can handle it."

"Hmph. You may have done well last time, boy, but this is against something a lot more dangerous than Moblins. Maybe I should bring in someone a little more experienced."

"With all due respect, sir, no you shouldn't. I am a perfectly capable Healer, scoring good marks on both my theoretical and practical examinations."

"Testing is all well and good, boy, but this is the real world."

"Isn't that what the practical examination is for? If you're worried that I'll fall apart at the first glance of a Skulltula, well, don't."

"I'm not saying that, but-"

"But what?"

"...Fine, fine, you get the job. Just don't mess it up! These are top-notch adventurers you'll be questing with, and I don't want you to make a fool of us!"

"I'll try not to make you look like a fool, sir."

"What was that?"

"I would never cast any negative light upon the Healer's Academy, sir."

"Harrumph. See that you don't!"

"Understood, sir. Thank you, sir."

"Good luck, boy. You'll need it."

+++++++++++++++

So, that was it. I was all packed and ready to go. My standard issue dagger hung at my waist, along with a water pouch slung across my back, and my first aid pouch of bandages and pain relieving ointments opposite from the dagger. My magic was fired up and ready to go, completely recovered from the all-out healing that I had done last week. I had also discovered something rather cool- not only did I completely recover from the exertion, but my natural reservoir of magic seemed to have expanded slightly. Maybe magic was like a muscle- more you used it, better it got.

Currently, I stood at the Eastern Gate, waiting for the rest of my party to arrive. I sighed, reaching up onto my shoulder to stroke Keaton's fur. The little Keaton had refused to be left behind, and it felt good to have his warm, comforting presence on my shoulder. Because no matter what I had told the Boss, I was scared. Keaton made me feel more... safe.

Since my examination, in which I had gone topside and healed a man whose lower intestines had been severed by a Moblin's spear, I had mostly been situated in the recovery room. Using that much magic that fast had been a real shock to my system, and my body had needed time to recover from the strain. Now, though, I felt better than ever, as I've already said.

I wasn't a fully-fledged Healer yet, even though I'm not an Apprentice anymore. I needed to prove my consistent worth before I could be considered a Healer, and I'd have to be doing this gig for at least a decade before anyone would even think of addressing me as "Master." Still, being a Novice was a lot better than being an Apprentice. Baby steps.

So, what exactly was this mission? Well, to put it simply, there was a small infestation of Skulltulas in a cavern east of the Western Caves, and the Guard wanted a party to go and take them out before they became a real problem. Short, sweet, and to the point. What could possibly go wrong, ya?

Ah, here someone comes now!

(((((Seeing how inactive the threads are, especially in Southern Hyrule, I'm not going to wait long in the vain hope that someone might join up. Moment this gets accepted, and I'm writing the RP. If you want to join, just do. I'll either edit you in or just have you pop up- "whoa dude, where'd you come from???" "I have been watching you for a long, long time..." "O.O")

The rewards for this quest are, at least for me, as follows:

- Nayru's Affection
    - Blue Fire
    - Rupee Count: 50 (40 b/c 1 player [me] + 10 b/c 1 RP character [Marcus]) - Nayru's Affection (40 rupees b/c of Wisdom of 4)- Blue Fire (10 rupees) = 0 rupees remaining))))
  2. SenpaiPancake

SenpaiPancake Shhh! I'm charging my laser... reg

Re: Skulltulas in the Western Caves [Awaiting ACCEPTANCE]

Looking good!

Accepted! /stamp
  3. Quill

Re: Skulltulas in the Western Caves [OPEN]

This will be continued in the Southern Hyrule forum. Please head there if you wish to read more or participate. At the conclusion of the Quest I will post another reply. Thanks a lot! ^_^

~Quill
  4. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

Re: Skulltulas in the Western Caves [OPEN]

I'd like to join with Zajora Arcanum :) I'll be gaining the Spell Scholar profession as the reward. Perfect since I have Nayru's affection and you're gaining it for a reward!
  5. Quill

6. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Re: Skulltulas in the Western Caves [AWAITING COMPLETION]

This passes, if only due to the quality. In the future, please keep in mind that if you spawn NPCs, they should not be in possession of treasures that could not be normally obtained, i.e. The Cane of Somaria. Seeds, Potions, etc., however, are realistic items that NPCs could possess. An exception in this case is being made, due to your player character having only the Life Major Treasure (which would make completing quests very difficult while solo). However, please keep this in mind in the future.

Still, the quest was creatively completed, and the read was good, if not amusing. After discussing this with Guy, we agreed that this quest still passes, even though it walks a fine line (though it does not overtly break rule #4, it comes very close: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=79). However, this quest has given me food for thought for a future "mercenary" hiring system, that would allow for the completion of quests in a similar manner to this, in exchange for a reduction in the reward.
  7. Quill

Oh wow. Yeah, I'll remember that from now on. So what are the rules for what NPCs can/can't do, then? I mean, what treasures can't they have? I just figured that if he was an elderly Wizard dude, he'd probably have some kind of magical treasure. I just thought that our characters can't be the only people in all of Hyrule with treasures, right? Or is the Cane of Somaria a one-of-a-kind object? So what spells/treasures are NPCs NOT allowed to have?

The Mercenary System sounds like something I'd use. A lot.

My face when I realized I had nearly broken one of HC's biggest rules: :horror: I didn't think Rule #4 applied to NPCs. That's a real hamper on future RPing, if I have to pay for everything that the NPCs can do. Do I?

Thanks for your help!
  8. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898

No problem. I'm here to help :P

As there isn't really any precedence for this, I'm not entirely sure here. For now, though, I'll say that it's probably safe to assume that if the PWC stat of the treasure exceeds a worth of 50 rupees at rank 3, an NPC probably could not know it/use it, due to either its rarity or the skill required to use the treasure.

To further explain what a Mercenary System might entail, characters generated by the Mercenary System might have a specific pool of treasures that they have available to them, though they might only have a limited choice of how many of these treasures could be used within a quest.

Of course. However, remember that our characters should be considered above average, if not on the level of being heroes/anti-heroes. Some treasures are relatively rare, and simply have a level of difficulty of acquiring that only someone of this caliber could acquire. Currently, the only NPCs capable of possessing treasures in the same way as an RPC are Staff-Created/Controlled NPCs, which have character sheets all on their own.

The Cane of Somaria is not a unique treasure-as long as the treasure is not listed under Unique Treasures or Unique Major Treasures, several copies of that treasure can exist within Hyrule Castle.

Back on HC's predecessor, Hylian Shield, we used to have a Companion system, that allowed you to make a less detailed character that would adventure with one of your regular characters. We have yet to create a replacement for this, but in light of this quest, we might need to.

Well, see, the thing is, your character never actually acquired the treasure itself, so it's not like you would have had to have paid for the treasure. And therein lies the problem; what is to stop an RPer from generating NPCs with treasures, and using said treasures repeatedly throughout the quest, though their own character may not use it? This would essentially be the same as having the treasure, while also bypassing the questing necessary to have acquired the treasure.
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Here comes Guy, to give his thoughts on the matter. :tpr:

Well, I suppose this was going to come up sooner or later. What follows are the thoughts that were floating through my head when I initially designed the PWC system, to the best of my recollection. I suppose I should have written them down.

If you're going to use an NPC to aid you in a RP, and it is not created as a result of a treasure you have, assume the following:
    -> The NPC can have no more than 100 rupees worth of treasures, assuming its highest possible PWC. No Unique Treasures or Major Treasures can be among these.
    -> The highest PWC the NPC can have in any one area is its basic racial ability score +1. (A Kokiri, for instance, could have a maximum score of 2/2/3.) This is due to the fact that the "average" person has a score of 2/2/2. As Will said, player-characters are intended to be above-average, on the tier of heroes.
    -> The NPC cannot join you for more than one quest.
    -> The "spotlight" can never focus on the NPC.
    -> There is an unclear limit to the amount of NPCs you can have in one quest, but keep it reasonable. The more focus on NPCs there is in the role-play, the fewer you would be expected to have.
    -> NPCs are completely forbidden in the Arena.

If your non-player-character breaks any of these limitations, it becomes a player-character. You must then post the character's thread as you would for any other player-character, and have it accepted before that character is further used.

Personally, I would adhere to these guidelines--or something like them--while using NPCs. I'm sure a red flag wouldn't raise so long as you do.

Anyway, Will, I believe making a Mercenary System or Companions System to HC would over-complicate things. Both seem very unnecessary. Even if you wanted to have a character on tier with a "mercenary" or "companion," you could just make it as you would any normal character. Excess detail in their creation is not required. The created character could then function as a mere mercenary or companion or any other unit within the limitations of an NPC if you wish, but it could also become more robust if you'd like that too.

For instance, my character Ruby Devilheart began as a basic NPC to oppose/aid Gustav Grimm. I then created her as a true character in her own right, even then all she did for a while was tag along with Gustav and not gain any treasures herself. Since then, however, she has evolved as a character, and has undergone the occasional independent adventure. ...Soyeah.

...And for the record: The replacement for HS's Companions is the fact that on HC, you can have an unlimited number of characters.
  10. Quill

Q

Alright. Just one question.

I have a character named Tobias. I want the Capture Staff for Tobias. Now, I don't want Tobias to just randomly find the Staff somewhere, I want to RP it in well. I buy it at the beginning of the thread, and have an NPC hold it for my character until I can RP it in, probably by killing the NPC and having Tobias use the treasure to defend himself. The treasure would have cost the NPC over 100 rupees, with the NPC's highest possible P/W/C stat possible. Is this a legal scenario?

Thanks! ^_^
  11. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    I hope I am interpreting this correctly; you have a character named Tobias that is an up-and-comping RPC that you have not yet made a character sheet for. However, you want to him to acquire a Capture Staff through the defeating of an enemy. If a character sheet is created for Tobias before he acquires the Capture Staff, then the amount of rupees you will pay will be using his PWC in his ( so far nonexistent) character sheet, and would be subtracted from his quest rupees/starting rupees as normally.

However, if he is is going to stay an NPC (read: won't have a character sheet) by the time he acquires the Capture Staff, then the PWC used would be the generic PWC of an NPC (2/2/2 + 1(depending on what race/place of origin he has)). As long as the Capture Staff is 100 rupees or below at a Wisdom of 2 (or possibly 3), then he may acquire said staff. Remember, though, if you create a sheet for this character later, the Capture Staff will still have to be paid for as above.

Although the NPC (that is likely killed) acquires the staff first, you only have to pay for/account for (in the case of an NPC's 100 rupee limit) the character that will end up with the actual treasure by the end of the RP.

Anyways, as long as the above is followed, it should be fine.
  12. Quill

I'm sorry, I was really vague again. I'll use the real scenario, instead of a hypothetical one.

At the beginning of the Winter Event [Wizzrobe], I paid for a Capture Staff for my PC, Marcus. Now, I want to RP it in well, I don't want to have him buy it or randomly "find" it, I want to do something good with it. So, I thought, can the Capture Staff enter the world as an NPC's? Then, while adventuring with the NPC, the NCP gets killed and my character picks it up. I already paid for it, using Marcus' P/W/C to determine cost. Now, the generic P/W/C would make the Capture Staff cost a lot higher than 100 rupees. But, would that matter, since it was really my character's to begin with- since I paid for it and everything, it's legally his, right? Having an NPC "hold" the item until the right time isn't against the rules, is it?

I hope this clears it up. I'm sorry for being so confusing.
  13. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Oh. Yeah, if you've already paid for the item, using the PWC stats of the person the staff is meant for, then there's no need to pay again/pay more. Continue on as you have been. FYI, that's how a lot of items are found naturally; it's completely normal for a person to acquire a treasure through the death of another NPC, both good or evil, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.