Skulltulas in the Western Caves [Completed]

Discussion in 'Southern Hyrule' started by Quill, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

"Are you sure you're up for this, boy?"

"I'm sure. Don't worry sir, I can handle it."

"Hmph. You may have done well last time, boy, but this is against something a lot more dangerous than Moblins. Maybe I should bring in someone a little more experienced."

"With all due respect, sir, no you shouldn't. I am a perfectly capable Healer, scoring good marks on both my theoretical and practical examinations."

"Testing is all well and good, boy, but this is the real world."

"Isn't that what the practical examination is for? If you're worried that I'll fall apart at the first glance of a Skulltula, well, don't."

"I'm not saying that, but-"

"But what?"

"...Fine, fine, you get the job. Just don't mess it up! These are top-notch adventurers you'll be questing with, and I don't want you to make a fool of us!"

"I'll try not to make you look like a fool, sir."

"What was that?"

"I would never cast any negative light upon the Healer's Academy, sir."

"Harrumph. See that you don't!"

"Understood, sir. Thank you, sir."

"Good luck, boy. You'll need it."

+++++++++++++++

So, that was it. I was all packed and ready to go. My standard issue dagger hung at my waist, along with a water pouch slung across my back, and my first aid pouch of bandages and pain relieving ointments opposite from the dagger. My magic was fired up and ready to go, completely recovered from the all-out healing that I had done last week. I had also discovered something rather cool- not only did I completely recover from the exertion, but my natural reservoir of magic seemed to have expanded slightly. Maybe magic was like a muscle- more you used it, better it got.

Currently, I stood at the Eastern Gate, waiting for the rest of my party to arrive. I sighed, reaching up onto my shoulder to stroke Keaton's fur. The little Keaton had refused to be left behind, and it felt good to have his warm, comforting presence on my shoulder. Because no matter what I had told the Boss, I was scared. Keaton made me feel more... safe.

Since my examination, in which I had gone topside and healed a man whose lower intestines had been severed by a Moblin's spear, I had mostly been situated in the recovery room. Using that much magic that fast had been a real shock to my system, and my body had needed time to recover from the strain. Now, though, I felt better than ever, as I've already said.

I wasn't a fully-fledged Healer yet, even though I'm not an Apprentice anymore. I needed to prove my consistent worth before I could be considered a Healer, and I'd have to be doing this gig for at least a decade before anyone would even think of addressing me as "Master." Still, being a Novice was a lot better than being an Apprentice. Baby steps.

So, what exactly was this mission? Well, to put it simply, there was a small infestation of Skulltulas in a cavern east of the Western Caves, and the Guard wanted a party to go and take them out before they became a real problem. Short, sweet, and to the point. What could possibly go wrong, ya?

Ah, here someone comes now!

(((((Seeing how inactive the threads are, especially in Southern Hyrule, I'm not going to wait long in the vain hope that someone might join up. Moment this gets accepted, and I'm writing the RP. If you want to join, just do. I'll either edit you in or just have you pop up- "whoa dude, where'd you come from???" "I have been watching you for a long, long time..." "O.O")

The rewards for this quest are, at least for me, as follows:

- Nayru's Affection
    - Blue Fire
    - Rupee Count: 50 (40 b/c 1 player [me] + 10 b/c 1 RP character [Marcus]) - Nayru's Affection (40 rupees b/c of Wisdom of 4)- Blue Fire (10 rupees) = 0 rupees remaining))))
  2. Quill

Re: Skulltulas in the Western Caves [OPEN]

What? Was this it? I only counted five others- surely this could not be everybody?

Five strangers were approaching me from a distance, walking with calm assurance towards the Eastern Gate where I stood waiting. Keaton chittered tensely, dashing from my left to right shoulder and back again. I reached up my left hand to calm him, stroking his fur softly.

The first stranger, the one in the lead, was obviously the Warrior of the group. Looking at him, well, what else could he be? First off; bulging muscles. Not afraid to show them off, either. This blond was wearing a sleeveless tunic, stretched tight across his broad frame, brazenly detailing every muscular curve of his chest. Likewise, his shorts only came down to mid-thigh, and he wore a necklace of bone around his neck. His walk was almost like a strut, head held a little too high, and his sword had to be as big as I was. Strapped across his back, it was huge, black, and really sharp looking, with a glowing red gem inserted into the pommel. He wore what looked like a really big X-shaped chain over his almost non-existent tunic, which had another red gem inserted into the center. I groaned. I could just tell; he was going to be fun to work with.

The person directly to the Warrior's left was an old looking man in a long brown robe that touched the floor. His beard was long, and looked well trimmed, and under one arm he carried what looked like a huge spellbook, adorned with complicated runes and symbols. In his other hand, he carried a tall red cane, which he was using to support himself. It didn't look threatening, but knowing that he was a Wizard (at least, that's what the stereotype suggested)... well, it probably contained some huge, flashy, KRACKAPOW!!! spell.

The third person, hidden slightly behind the huge frame of the Warrior, was wearing a long dark brown cloak that nearly brushed the floor. Its hood covered the person's face and body completely, however from the lithe way that the person was moving, gracefully flowing from one step to the next, I guessed that he (she?) was some kind of acrobat. Perhaps a thief, or a martial artist?

Next came an Archer. I liked him from the moment I saw him; he had wrinkles around his eyes that suggested that he spent a lot of time laughing, and from the carefree way he swung his arms I knew that he didn't care much for formality and pomposity. His longbow was hanging across his back, but he also carried a small shortbow for more enclosed spaces. His quiver bristled with arrows, and I wondered if he had carved them himself. His brown tunic was short sleeved, his pants came down to his lower calf, and a black belt pulled the tunic in at the waist, both allowing a dagger to hang from his waist and making the tunic puff out slightly below it. I was grateful; his choice of dress made him a lot easier on the eyes than the Warrior's.

That was it. I craned my neck, trying to see more on their way, but all I could make out were more guards. Wow, either the Skulltula infestation wasn't that bad after all, or these guys were beyond good. Probably both. Well, that made my job easier, anyway. More boring, but much easier.

"Hello there!" The Warrior cried upon reaching me, squeezing my shoulders together with his mammoth hands. "Pleased to meet your acquaintance! I," he said, dropping me and gesturing grandly with his now freed hand, "am Alric the Awesome, and these are my companions." He waved at each of them in turn. "This is Cornelius, the Wizard, Zudestria, the Thief, and the archer Robin."

He squeezed Robin's shoulder on that last one, and my thoughts whirled. Methinks I smell an alpha-male battle for dominance. Crudsickles; those are never fun, only aggravating as all heck.

Robin nodded to me, grinning. "Pleasure to meet your acquaintance." He stretched out his left hand. "You must be Markos, the healer."

I smiled wryly, and took his hand, shaking it firmly. "Marcus, actually. And that's Healer, not healer. Capital H."

He frowned. "What's the difference?"

Cornelius spoke up, clearing his ancient throat. I was surprised to hear that his voice was strong, not wavery and croaky like a bunch of other oldies I knew. Elders; not oldies. "A healer, lowercase h, is someone who specializes in medicinal cures, such as balms, ointments, and herbal remedies. A Healer, capital H, is someone who studies the usage of healing magic, relying on his (or her) own natural magical reservoir to heal the sick and afflicted." He winked at me. "That about right, sonny?"

I smiled, nodding. "Yes, thank you."

"But," Robin said, baffled, "how did you know that I used lowercase 'h?'"

"..."

"Best not to dwell on it too much," Cornelius said, patting him on the shoulder, "there's a good lad."

"But-"

"It's maaaaaaagic!" I said, wiggling my fingers in front of my face.

He laughed. "I'll bet it is. Okay then, I won't pry, Mr. Telepath." He looked around him. "Is this it, then?"

"Um, yeah." I said, running a hand through my hair. "Your party is the only one that's meeting up with me, so unless you're waiting for more people...?"

"No we are not!" Alric the Awesome said, interjecting himself into the conversation. "Besides, we don't need anyone else!" He grabbed us all into a great big bear hug. "With our combined might, my impressive leadership, and the power of Grayskull behind us, we can't fail to emerge victorious!"

"Psst." I whispered to Cornelius. "What's Grayskull?"

"His sword." He whispered back.

Figures.

"Thanks for the pep talk," Robin said wryly, squished in between Z...Z... whatever her name was and Alric's bicep, "but can you let us go now? Another second and Z'll impale me."

"But of course!" Alric said, making sure to flex his bicep before releasing Robin and the rest of us. Z stepped back silently, somehow not losing a shred of the mysterious dignity that she had established earlier.

"Now, my friends, onwards!" Alric roared, punching the air with his huge fist. "Glory and honor awaits us! Let no man (or woman) fear Evil while we stand together! Come, my friends, into the dark depths of the deep caverns, and let us fight! Fight for good! For justice! And most of all, for glory! TO WAR!"

With a great battle cry, he surged out of the gate, barreling over a poor guard who hadn't been able to dive out of the way in time.

Cornelius sighed, while Robin shook his head. I looked between them and Alric's rapidly vanishing figure. "Is... is he always like this?"

"Yes, I'm afraid." Cornelius said sadly.

"Keeps things fun, though." Robin said, and I nodded. You just couldn't get bored with someone like Alric the Awesome.

"We'd better go, though," Robin said, "or else he'll take out all the monsters before we even arrive."

"Is that likely?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"Yes."
  3. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

((Cool we're RPing again :lol: ))

Zajora walked in what he hoped was a northern direction. He wasn't sure how he got here, the details got a little fuzzy after he got into that tree. He assumed some sort of hidden warp tile or trap sent him here. Where here was though... He was pretty sure he had set his Farore's Wind warp to his home, but he wanted to save going home as a last resort. He came out here for adventure after all, so why not seek it!

After rounding the next hill he noticed what looked like a party of adventurers. They seemed to be have some quest to go about to and looked rather too confident. Bounding along towards them he waved his arms exuberantly.

"Heeeey! Over here!" He yelled at them. As they turned to look at the new oddity he began to catch up. "I noticed you all here and thought I'd stop by to say hello!" Zajora said happily. Scanning their faces he noticed a familiar one. "Cornelius? Is that you? You've gotten even older! I didn't even know that was possible!" He laughed to himself at his rather pathetic attempt at a joke.

"I'm sorry, have we met?" The old man asked, a bit of confusion and curiousity in his eyes. Zajora froze, "Oh.. Er... No. Not really. No. Let's go with no." He pulled his hood further over his face. The chance that anyone would recognize him was pretty slim, especially with his exaggerated personality and new looks, but it was better to be safe then sorry. "Where are all of you headed with such a purposeful stride?" He asked the group. "Smashing a few pests." the big one said confidently, hefting his sword. Zajora grinned at him, "Mind if I tag along? I'm actually lost... very lost. Where are we in Hyrule? Oh no. Please tell me I'm still in Hyrule."
  4. Quill

((Yay! Multi-RP!!! ^_^))

Robin laughed, clapping the newcomer's shoulder. "Yeah, you're still in Hyrule. Don't worry about it."

"Specifically," Cornelius said, still eyeing him strangely, "the Western Caves." He narrowed his eyes quizzically. "Might I ask how you got here?"

"No matter!" Alric the Awesome said, grandly waving Cornelius' inquiry aside. "My friend, we are on a quest to rid these caverns of the Skulltula infestation. Will you quest with us? Be warned; many dangers await us in the Deeps, however with our combined might, my impressive leadership, and the power of Grayskull, we can't fail to emerge victorious!"

I turned to Robin, whispering behind my hand so double-A couldn't hear. "Didn't he say that just five minutes ago?"

"Yep," Robin replied, grinning. "Get used to it; it's his favorite line."

"So," I said, turning to the newcomer, "you coming?"

((Sorry it took me so long to answer; NaNoWriMo's eating my soul at the moment. Speaking of which, I still have 2k words to write before I turn in. =_= Gotta go!))
  5. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

"Ah the western caves... Wait what?" Zajora blinked. That was a rather long way from home. He didn't even know if Farore's Wind would work that far away. "That... Would make me farther from home than I would have thought. Very much so." He stopped, looking very much like a lost child far from home. Blinking again as if snapping out of a daydream he grinned again and agreed with the biggish one who ranted. "Aye! I will quest with you, the Skulltulas shall not see the light of day again! Well not that they do right now. But you can probably guess at the point I am trying to make! Let's go fail to fail at emerging with victory! And such! Tally ho!" He laughed out loud, this was even more fun than he would have thought. Why didn't he try getting lost on the opposite end of the country more often? There were such strange people around. Although he did worry somewhat about Tent. He hadn't seen him since he fell through the portal.

"I'm a wizard by trade and I'd be happy to join your quest! Which way?" Two of them seemed to be conferring in secret, probably to compliment their wondrous luck in running across him. Also it seemed strange that no one had bothered to tell him it was too dangerous. He was beginning to like this part of the world very much. Or they just thought he was a Kokiri.

((I now want to make a kokiri character that is serious and mature, would contrast with Zajora and make for some interesting conflicts :) ))
  6. Quill

Well, here we are. The fringes of the reported Skulltula territory. The caves had been marked with green pictures of the spidery creatures, and just to make sure that no idiot could miss it, the pictures were glowing. Idiot-proof.

"What's that?" Double-A said, striding forward to examine the markings. Then again... maybe not.

"My friends," he said, turning to face us, "this is the place. The place where heroes are made! Are we cowards, or are we heroes? That is the question we face as we bravely venture into the-"

"Shut up," Robin said, "and let's go kick some spidery-"

"Beep!" I said, grinning. Robin stuck his tongue out at me, and I responded in kind.

"If you are quite finished," Cornelius said calmly, somehow pocketing his book, "we can move on. I would advise us to move in a hexagon facing outwards, weapons drawn and at the ready. Alric, you go first."

"Indeed, wizard!" Alric said, flexing his huge biceps, "my might will protect us this day! But..." he said, frowning slightly, "why not us all in great V?"

"Because," Cornelius said, "the Skulltulas could be anywhere, and the last thing we want is to be surrounded and unprepared."

"Is that likely?" I ask.

"Not really," Robin said, clapping me on the back, "but best to be prepared, eh?"

"It's settled, then!" Alric said, striding forward into his spot. "Fear any demon that crosses my path tonight!"

"I'm sure they're all quaking in their webs." Cornelius said, smiling tolerantly. "Robin, you're on his left. Z, take the right. Marcus, take back left. I'll take the back, and you," he said, looking at the newcomer, "can go between me and Z."

"Will do!" Robin said cheerfully, drawing and notching his bow.

"..." Z said, or rather didn't, moving into her/his/its position.

I went in between Cornelius and Robin, feeling strangely both safe and apprehensive. Safe, because I was inbetween a powerful wizard and Robin, but apprehensive because this was a lot different than facing down Moblins. That time, we were taken by surprise, not even knowing what was going to happen. This was quite different; here, we were walking into the belly of the beast. No plan, no directions, and no backup, just a lot of weapons.

I looked nervously at Grayskull, now being held in both of Alric's meaty hands. His love for that thing may be ridiculous, but I had to admit; knowing that that thing was between me and a massive, Marcus-eating spider made me feel a LOT better.

"Well," I asked the newcomer, "you coming?"

((Next cycle's when the dragon feces REALLY hit the fan! ^_^
    ... dragon feces? o.O
    Hey, how does the whole 'treasure' thing work in a party? What will you be getting?))
  7. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

((At some point I'd like to RP teaching you Nayru's affection so I can get the spell scholar profession, which will take up my 50 rupees.))

Zajora watched, fascinated, as they all got into formation and marched into the cave. Maybe he should try doing something like that next time he charged blindly into a dark monster-infested dungeon. On the other hand... He ran forward towards the steadily marching groups and jumped over their heads landing on Alric with one foot and jumping off again. He opened his mouth and launched a fireball from it to light the way. It lit a small area around it as it passed through the cavernous room. Skulltula after Skulltula turned towards the light as they were lit up.

He landed and jumped back to the group as a Skulltula dropped down where he was standing. "Woah!" He exclaimed, "You weren't kidding when you said infested!" He tossed a fireball at the lowered spider in front of him, but it just made a metallic CLANK! and set the Skulltula spinning. The scraping of Skulltulas resounded everywhere and it was far too dark to be healthy, especially when coupled with being in a cave full of monsters.

"Right then..." Zajora said a little less enthusiastic than before. "How about some serious Greyskulling?"
  8. Quill

((YEAAAAH!!! I WON NANOWRIMO!!!!! :D
    Looked at the version of this thread on the QB, read your post, and promptly proceeded to headdesk the head outta my desk.
    spoiler (open)
    You'll have to get lost with me, then, for you to be able to teach my Nayru's Affection
    ))

I stared, open-mouthed, as the newcomer vaulted over our heads, throwing balls of Din-blasted FIRE into the monster- infested cave. I gestured wildly with my hands, somehow unable to properly articulate my disbelieving frustration.

I heard a hiss from nearby as Robin inhaled sharply through his teeth. "Idiot..."

"Why?" Alric asked, looking at us curiously as the newcomer blasted a Skulltula. "What's wrong?"

Robin's face appeared ghastly in the sickly red light of the fireballs. "He just woke up every single spider in these caves." The scritch-ing sounds of a thousand semi-metallic legs scraping against the stone floor. "And guess what?" The first Skulltula, bearing a slightly scorched shell, reared it's ugly frame into the flickering firelight of the Blue Candle, screeching and snapping its pincers. "They're pissed."

"Right then," the newcomer called, stepping back slightly from the enraged steroid poster-spider, "how about some serious Greyskulling?"

"Very well, brave one," Alric said, heaving his sword and cleaving the metallic-shelled Skulltula in two, "your actions were valiant, if ill-advised. Do not think harshly of yourself, for without your act of recklessness we would have been completely surrounded and never know it."

Wow. That was... surprisingly deep for someone like Alric. What was even scarier was that he was right- we would have probably died if he hadn't lit up the cave like a firework.

"Now, my friends, show 'em what you're worth!" Alric said, brandishing his sword.

"Make 'em go uh, uh, uh..." Robin said, nodding his head to some unseen beat as he drew back his bow. "Corny, if you will?"

Cornelius nodded, handing me the Blue Candle. "Let your courage burn," he said, drawing symbols into the air around Robin, "in the place with which I hath appointed it."

Like a firework, tendrils of fire burst forth from within Robin, twisting around his form before rushing into his bow, carving deep red runes into its shaft. "Let's light up the sky."

Cornelius nodded, turning to Z and the newcomer. "We must work on clearing a way out. Keep them from surrounding us and we'll be alright."

Z lifted a gloved hand, pointing silently at the way we had come. Not having any kind of supernatural night vision, I lifted the Blue Candle high above my head, casting its rays of revealing light all around us.

"Dear Nayru..."

Our worst fears had been realized. We were surrounded.

++++++++

The dark cavern was lit only by the flickering light of the Blue Candle, the newcomer's fireballs, and the bright bursts of fire as Robin fired shaft after shaft of searing arrows into the advancing horde of Skulltulas.

Z launched xirself into the Skulltulas between us and the exit, gracefully twisting around the mandibles and slicing foot long knives into the monsters' weak points. Xir cape twirled in the flickering light, masking xir movements in a flowing dance. Xi flowed from enemy to enemy, slashing and dancing. The firelight glinted off xir knives, creating a mesmerizing light show in addition to the hypnotic movements of xir graceful dance.

A graceful dance that left a dozen plus Skulltulas lying on the ground, dead.

I stared at the spiders, mesmerized. This was my first experience with death; I had only ever seen something after the departure of life. This time, though... I had watched as living creatures were killed. Punctured through the eyes with foot long blades, no doubt skewering the brain.

"Please, stay focused." Cornelius said, closing his eyes and concentrating, holding his red staff tightly in front of him. "I know Z's very distracting, but zoning out in the middle of a battle is generally a very bad idea."

"Sorry," I said, blushing, "it's just... strange, seeing them just die like this."

"You get used to it," he said, "either that, or you become a pacifist."

He waved his staff at a nearing Skulltula, and a heavy block appeared from thin air, crushing it.

"What was that?" I asked, awed.

"That, my boy, is the Cane of Somaria. I can concentrate the energy stored within into blocks, which is only useful if one is very imaginative."

"Huh." I said, slightly disappointed. "I was expecting fire, honestly."

"Yes," he said, smiling, "there does seem to be a lot of fire here, doesn't there?"

"I know." I said, watching as he dispelled the block and re-summoned it over another batch of spiders. "The only people without fire right now are Z and Alric."

"Z has fire, look."

Z did have fire. Specifically, one of xir's knives were glowing red, almost as if it were newly tempered. When it stabbed through yet another Skulltula's eye, I heard the nasty sizzling sound of cooking eyeball.

"Charming." I said, turning back to Corneilus. "Well, at least Alric doesn't have fire."

"I know what you mean," he said, "could you imagine him with fire?"

I shuddered. "I don't really want to." I looked around the hectic battlefield, from Robin standing but a few feet away, covering us as best as he could with his seemingly never-ending supply of arrows, to Z, who had felled at least three dozen Skulltulas by now, and to Alric, who was easily swinging his sword through shell after shell of Skulltula.

I sighed, re-adjusting my grip on the Blue Candle. "I feel so useless."

"Careful what you wish for," Robin said through gritted teeth, sweat running down his arms and face as he pulled back another round of arrows.

Before I could respond, a cry pierced through the air. The very sound I had been fearing. The sound of pain, of fear, of imminent death. I looked around wildly, searching for the originator. Z was silently cutting through the enemy ranks. Cornelius and Robin were beside me, alive and well. Alric was laughing as he sliced through spider after spider. That only left... the newcomer!

I saw him then, separated from me by a small mob of Skulltulas. They were all over him now, and I turned desperately to Cornelius and Robin for help.

"He's in trouble! Over there!" I pointed wildly, and Robin spun, sending arrow after arrow into the offending enemies. Cornelius continued to cover us, showing a stamina that I would not have guessed existed in waving the huge staff back and forth continuously like that.

Robin cleared the enemy ranks, and I dashed over, dodging past several different Skulltulas on my way over. Once, one nearly sunk its mandible thingies into me, but a whizzing fire arrow saved me before it could. I dropped to my knees beside the newcomer, and examined him.

This location was relatively safe to work in; in any case, it would have to do until I could determine whether or not he was capable of being moved. I would much, much rather have to do this between Robin and Cornelius, rather than in the midst of a horde of spider-monsters.

Keaton, whom I had all but forgotten, jumped onto the ground, a pair of gloves between his little teeth.

"Thanks Ki." I took them, sheathing my hands in their warm embrace. I exhaled; I wasn't a little kid anymore. I was a Healer.

I tapped his shoulder. "Hey, you okay? Sir! Wake up!" I lightly shook him, then rubbed my knuckles on his sternum. "Unconscious."

I tilted his head up, clearing the airway, and simultaneously checked for breathing and pulse. When I felt that warm throb underneath my fingertips, I let loose a sigh of relief. He was breathing, too, which was definitely a good sign. But, then, what had caused him to scream and lose consciousness?

I checked his frame; nothing above the chest, thankfully; a head, neck, or spinal injury was the last thing that I needed now. Chest, fine, arms, fine, navel, fine, legs- oh no.

There, just above the left kneecap, were two very large puncture marks. The skin around the marks were lined with twisting purple veins, and the lines were elongating and expanding, corrupting the previously-untouched skin.

I let out a hiss. "Poison." How had this happened?

((Bonus points to anyone who spotted the Katy Perry reference! ^_^))
  9. Quill

((Alright Adad, after this you can awaken, flashback, whatever! ^_^ Sorry if you're mad at what I did, you just said that I needed to make a way to get my character over to you, and since he's a Healer...))

I breathed quickly, staring at the rapidly expanding veins of purple poison. Alright, what could I do? I had no kind of Skulltula antidote, it was far to late to amputate the leg, and I knew no Antidote spells. Life wouldn't be able to heal the poison, so what should I do?

The subject spasmed, frothing at the mouth. My breathing rapidly increased, and my heart rate sped as I watched him twitch spasmodically on the cave floor.

My eyes hardened, and I laid my hands over his form. "I will not let you die." I closed my eyes, taking in a deep, shuddering breath. Calm. Focus. I could panic later, he needed me now.

"Heal." I whispered, sending magical sparks flooding into his body. I may not be able to heal him of the poison, but I definitely could strengthen his body enough to stave it off. Sparks of concentrated life tended to do that to a person.

The sparks had no given objective; just strengthen the body as much as possible. I watched as the froth receded, his heart beat resumed its regular pace, and the twitched subsided. The veins of purple poison seemed to have faded, although I knew better than to hope that he had somehow recovered. The poison was merely held at bay, nothing more.

I cut off the flow of the sparks, having no wish to pass out in the battlefield. I slapped his face lightly. "Wake up." I frowned at his further inactivity. I took my knuckles, rubbing them against his sternum. "Wake up now."

"GRAAAAAAAH!" I whipped my head around to see Alric swinging his sword at a Skulltula, hell-bent on connecting. However, with every stroke, the Skulltula somehow managed to evade death, and with every stroke, Alric grew more and more infuriated. "DIE, YOU STUPID SPIDER!"

Finally, the Skulltula scuttled up the wall, near the center of the room. Alric grinned, and pulled back Greyskull.

"ALRIC!" Robin screamed. "NO!"

Alric swung. The Skulltula skittered up the wall, and the blow connected with the wall with the approximate force of a charging bull elephant.

The cavern shook, and spidery cracks spread through the walls.

"ALRIC! GET OVER HERE!"

Hell-bent on eliminating his target, Alric seemed deaf to Robin's shouts, and swung once more.

Robin swore, darting forward. Pebbles began to rain down from the ceiling, and I watched with wide eyes. Robin grabbed Alric's arm, however he was unable to stop the third, final blow.

With an almighty crack, the cavern shook as if struck by lightning, sending hails of rocks showering from the ceiling.

"WE'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!" Robin screamed over the din in Alric's ear, "THE CAVE'S COLLAPSING!"

Alric didn't seem to hear him, staring dazedly at the wall. Robin swore again, and poked him hard with an arrow. Jolted, Alric allowed himself to be tugged out of the way of a crashing boulder.

"ROBIN!" I screamed, covering the fallen form of the newcomer with my own body.

"MARCUS!" Robin and Cornelius' frames dashed forward, but an avalanche of rock blocked them from my sight.

There was a crack, flashing pain, and I knew no more.

++++++

"Marcus! Marcus, can you hear me?"

"Marcus!"

Voices. Muffled voices. What was going on? Oww... my head...

I raised my head, gasping at the pain. I touched a gigantic knob on my head gingerly, and winced. Probable concussion.

"Marcus! Please, if you can hear us, say something!"

"R-Robin?" I said softly. I blinked, seeing the wall of boulders in front of me. "ROBIN! I'M IN HERE!"

"I know!" His voice said dimly. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I said, "I got hit on the head, but a shot of sparks should fix it up. But... the newcomer's been poisoned, and I don't have any antidote!"

"I have some," I heard Cornelius say, "but I have no way of getting it across to you."

I bit my lip. "There's not an opening somewhere? Where can we get out?"

There was a silence. "Marcus..."

My heart stopped. Don't say it. Please, dear Farore, don't say it.

"We can't get to you. The cave's collapsed. You're stuck."

++++++++

I sniffed, readjusting my grip on the subject. "A-alright. I've got it."

"You sure?" Robin said. "Marcus, we don't know where those tunnels come out."

"It's the only way," I said, trying to keep the tremors out of my voice, "excavation could take weeks."

"But-"

"These tunnels have to come out somewhere," I said, shaking despite myself, "hopefully, I'll come out near some kind of civilization."

"Marcus..."

"Look, I've made up my mind, okay?" I said. "Cornelius, is this the best course of action?"

There was a pause. Cornelius cleared his throat. "It is, I'm sorry to say. Any attempts at unprofessional excavation would most likely result in further, fatal, tunnel collapse. And it would take days, perhaps weeks, for professional excavators to be able to get you out. Following the tunnels is your best hope."

"But," Robin argued, "what about monsters? How will he find his way?"

"I'll have to take that chance," I said, trying to inject a note of confidence into my voice, "and I'll have the Blue Candle to guide me."

"You still have that?" Cornelius said, relieved. "Good- remember, the flame betrays the wind's point of origin."

"I know," I said. "Thanks."

Another pause. "I...I'm gonna miss you, kid."

I swallowed, feeling a burning lump in my throat. "Y-yeah. Me too."

"Marcus," Cornelius said, "listen to me."

I grinned weakly. "Listening."

"Your Aura is strong."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Your Aura. Your life-force, your will, your determination. Whatever you wish to call it. The Healers' Academy is all well and good, but academia can only take you so far. When you wander through the world, learn all you can. Find your way. You have a bright light inside of you. Don't let it go to waste."

My eyes were burning. "T-thanks Cornelius."

"Just..." Robin said, and I imagined that my eyes weren't the only things that burned. "Just... don't forget to come back, okay?"

"Will do."

"Marcus?" The deep voice of Alric said.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry."

I paused, laying my hands on the rocks. "Don't be. It's not your fault."

"But it is!" Alric said. "If I had listened to my companions-"

"The past is the past," I said, "learn what you can from it, and move on." I smiled comfortingly, hoping the gesture would carry across through my voice. "Don't beat yourself over your past mistakes. Just... tell my family that I'm fine, will you? Tell them..." I swallowed, feeling something wet trickle down my cheeks. "Tell them that... I'll come back."

"We will." Robin said.

"Be safe," Cornelius said, "and may Nayru, Goddess of Wisdom and Law watch your steps through the darkness."

"May Farore, Goddess of Courage and Life, take you by the hand, giving you the strength to carry on through the darkness."

"May Din, Goddess of Power and Earth, strengthen your sword and shield, allowing you to safely traverse through the darkness."

I bowed my head, hearing something splash onto the floor. I drew in a deep, shaky breath. "Thanks guys. I..." I swallowed. "It means a lot."

I took another deep breath and turned, facing the dark hole that was the entrance to the Deep Tunnels. "Here I go." I turned my head back, my heart fluttering wildly. "Guys..." I swallowed. "I'm scared."

"It's alright to be scared," Robin said, "courage isn't about not being scared. It's about having the strength to carry on."

I nodded, and readjusted my grip on the still-unconscious newcomer. "Right. Pray for me."

"Always."

"Until we meet again, Marcus."

I looked down at the newcomer, feeling Keaton's warm fur tickle my cheek. "Let's go."
  10. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

Re: Skulltulas in the Western Caves [CLOSED]

((It's fine, I'll just start at the end of my last post and go from there.))

The child mage looked at all the Skulltullas with what was probably too little fear. There were certainly quite a few, but they were just spiders. What could they possibly do to someone like him? He summoned magic and channeled into fire in his hands. He launched a fireball at another Skulltulla, watching it spin. Timing carefully he sent another after it, lighting its innards aflame. With a shrill scream it thrashed and then went limp, falling to the ground. Skittering behind him made him spin and ready Din's burst. A spider was crawling up to him, fangs extended.

"Die in flames!" He roared in a comically high pitched voice. He released Din's Burst and it struck the ground just under the spider. The Skulltulla gave a shrill screech as it flew away and shriveled up into a blackened ball. He let fly with fire, years of practice making it child's play to take out or expose Skulltullas all around him. His grin returned, this was what he was looking for. The excitement, the thrill of battle made everything else seem meaningless. His boredom fled at last as he blissfully set fire to the savage arachnids around him. A skittering behind him snapped him out of his reverie. There shouldn't have been any behind him, he'd taken care of those! With a feeling of dread he spun around in time to see a slightly charred Skulltulla ready to pounce. He swiped his hand horizontally in a line in front of him and soon a shimmering blue light appeared in the air. The Skulltulla pounced and sliced its soft underbelly on the surprisingly sharp aura, the force of its jump almost severing it at the middle.

Zajora watched in horror as it kept going despite its injuries, toppling the small Hylian and sinking its fangs in his leg. He let out a scream and blasted it away as quickly as he could. The persistent Skulltula fell back and finally succumbed to its fate.

Screaming at the top of his lungs, Zajora desperately let fly a fireball into more of the Spiders who seemed to recognize his injuries. His movements got sluggish quickly and he soon fell to the floor. He glanced at his wound, noting the spreading purple lines. Poisoned. This couldn't be good. He dimly noticed the healer rushing towards him, braving the spider's onslaught. Maybe he'd even make it, that would be something. Then blackness overtook him.

The next thing he knew a huge crash resounded, jolting him awake. He tried to sit up, but failed. Rolling his head over, he tried to make sense of the intense darkness. He rolled his head and couldn't find the entrance. What had happened? The healer seemed to be stirring on top of him. Why was Marcus out too. He noticed a gash on his head and tried to stir. Moving was painful, very painful. A voice called out to them and as he listened he gathered that some sort of collapse had happened. Groaning to himself, he pulled himself up.

He should really get back to Castle Town. He hesitated in casting the spell. What would happen to Marcus if he left him trapped in an infested cave? Perhaps he just wouldn't mention Farore's wind and reserve it as a last resort. He unsteadily turned towards Marcus.

"Hey... You all right? Thanks for helping me out back there."
  11. Quill

((Isn't Farore's Wind capable of transporting multiple people?))

"What?" I turned to the newcomer, who's name I still didn't know. "Oh, you're welcome." I wiped my eyes quickly, not wanting him to see my weakness. "The tunnel's caved in. We're going to have to go through there." I waved my hand towards the yawning blackness to our right. "But, before we go, there are a few things that I need to do."

Sparks blossomed at my finger tips, and I sent them cascading over us, healing our gashes and injuries. "We don't want to travel wounded," I said, "and this'll definitely help." As the sparks faded, my vision degraded into flashes and warm spots, my head spinning wildly.

I put my hand to my head. "Sorry, I just... can't use that spell as often as I'd like to."

I nodded to his leg. "Listen, I only put that poison at bay. Sooner or later, it will advance through your system, and stop your heart. We need to get you to somewhere with an antidote. Now," I said, holding up my Blue Candle, "we have this to guide us towards fresh air. These caverns have to lead out somewhere, right?"

I took a few steps towards the cave entrance. "If that leg starts to feel worse, let me know and I'll give you another shot of sparks. As for the monsters probably infesting these tunnels, well... we'll manage somehow, right?"

I scratched Keaton's ear softly. "We'll have to."

((Yeah, just checked the Library. You can use it on multiple people. I'm all for having my character wander the world, so if you want to just transport us somewhere, feel free. As for teaching my character Nayru's Affection, well... your character could do that after we arrive, if you want to go that route.))
  12. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

((o.0 You're right... How did I possibly miss that? Well let's go find an antidote then.))

Zajora coughed a bit, his leg was starting to get sluggish. This was most certainly not good. "You should conserve your magic, you don't look too good." He informed the healer. He inspected his remaining ally. He seemed to be having a headache, probably a symptom of overcasting that spell. It was an interesting one though, probably a high level Nayru spell. He'd never been very good at healing, preferring flashier spells that were more destructive in nature.

"I... May have a way out of here. I set a point back in castle town that I can-" He broke off as his leg gave way and he stumbled to the floor. He really hated poison, that feeling of slowly being sapped of life. Moving himself into a sitting position he continued, "I can teleport to just outside of Castle Town, up in Northern Hyrule. It will be pretty exhausting, but I should be able to take you too."

He'd never tried teleporting from this distance, but what else could they do? Marcus would never be able to fight his way out of the cave. He'd never make it either at this rate. He had to go back and find an antidote somewhere in town. He grimaced, spending more time in the town wasn't why he came out here.

"It's a pretty long way away and I don't know how long it would take to get back here. Do you have friends or family who will worry? I don't want anyone to think you died in here... But we don't have a whole lot of choice. We'll get out of here one way or another though, or my name isn't Zajora Arcanum!" He finished with a bit of the enthusiasm he'd shown earlier. Of course, his name wasn't really Zajora Arcanum if you thought about it, but that was quite beside the point.

On the other hand if he waited he might lose consciousness or chicken out. Staying in here was suicide! Taking a deep breath and praying that Marcus wouldn't get too angry at him he darted up on his good leg, grabbed a hold of Marcus and began casting Farore's Wind.

A breeze began to blow around them. It began to blow harder and harder until a roaring tempest seemed range in their immediate area. Zajora closed his eyes as he felt himself fading away into the wind. No, not just fading, becoming the wind. He sighed happily as he lost consciousness and began rushing the many miles across Hyrule to Castle Town.
  13. Quill

((Yay! Off to Castle Town! ^_^ I don't know where your warp point is, though, so there's not much that I can do just now. You're in control of this story right now. ^_^ Nice icon change, by the way- very nice.))

The last thing I remember was the newcomer- what did he say his name was? Zajora? Well, that was a lot better than 'the subject' or 'the newcomer'- was the newcomer grabbing me. Then, there was this rush of green wind, and... nothing.

A euphoric sensation, the weightless feeling of flight... this is all that I can recall. I must have passed out; my mind and body overloaded from the rush of new sensations.

I stirred weakly, feeling some strange substance tickling my nose. I coughed, something hot and rough scraping against my cheek. Groaning, I sat up, rubbing my head weakly. My hand reached my cheek, and I felt the wetness covering it. Glancing down, I saw Keaton swishing his tail, gazing up at me with his tiny yellowy head tilted to one side.

I smiled feebly. "I'm okay Ki, thanks." He jumped on my shoulder, and I laughed. "Good to see you, buddy." It was comforting to know that Keaton was here with me, a warm, familiar presence.

I frowned, looking around. "But... where exactly are we?"

The ground was covered in some strange green substance, and an endless blue chasm opened up above our heads. Wait. Green? Blue? Strange, tall brown things covered in green?

"Keaton!" I said excitedly. "We're topside!" I looked around, smiling.

Wow. Rippling fields of- what are they called? Grass? Bright sunlight shimmering over the dewdropped grass, great brown trees shooting up to the sky- oohhhhhh!

I cowered, staring up at the yawning chasm above us. It... it was so big! And... so empty! Growing up in the Western Caverns, I had always been used to something, anything, above my head. But this? This was... nothing! Nothing but blue! I felt like at any moment, my feet would fall out from under me, and I would drop into the endless expanse of blue, lost forever to the unknown.

I covered my head with my hands, and stared downwards. As long as I didn't see it, I could pretend it wasn't there, right?

Wrong. It was still there, calling to me, making my feet tingle horribly beneath me. I scratched Keaton's head, trying to draw assurance from his presence. Feeling his fur beneath my fingers helped. Also, not gazing at the void above me helped too. I wondered; how did the top-siders live like this? Like flies, crawling around at the very top, always ready to drop and fall into nothingness.

I took a deep breath. They were used to it. And, it probably wouldn't kill me, or even harm me. It was just... there. So then, why was I so afraid? I chalked it up to another irrational fear, and let it be.

I wondered how Zajora was doing under the strange expanse of sky. I turned, wanting to ask his opinion, to find him collapsed against the ground. I rushed over, forgetting about the void above, and examined him.

Such heavy magic, most likely stressed beyond its distance limitations, had taken its toll. The poison had stretched across his stomach now, winding its way up to his heart.

No time for subtlety. I grabbed his frame and poured all of my sparks into his body. No few sparks here; the rapid progression of the poison, added to his wearied state, meant that every single drop of magic within me was needed. I would pass out, but... Zajora would know what to do. This was, after all, his territory, not mine. And so, casting my fate into the winds, yet again, I opened the floodgates, and let the magic forth.

Heal.
  14. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

((Gaaah so sorry for the wait Quill. Finals week is upon us and it is sucking my spare time away :/))

Soaring high above the world and realizing Hylian's dream of flight Zajora sped over Hyrule in a green wind. He had no thoughts, for the wind had none. At last Hyrule Castle loomed in the distance and soon they had arrived just outside the town walls. The wind spun in circles on the spot until they had reformed and then dissipated.

Zajora stirred from oblivion and started to get up. A sharp pain dropped him again, the poison had spread during his time as the wind. How long had he been out? The journey was certainly the longest he'd ever attempted and he felt it. His body could barely stave off exhaustion and the poison. He looked up at the blue sky and smiled. He'd lived a life few men had dared to, and he regretted nothing. If he died here, he would die amongst the serenity of his home and among his family.

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a blank letter. He whispered a few words and it's seal faded, revealing the words written upon it. His family and friends deserved to know the odd truth of what happened to him. Zajora Arcanum's disappearance would finally be revealed.

Smiling serenely he waited for death among the fields of green. At least the healer had made it out with him. He looked over at him, meaning to give him the letter. "Could you-" He began, then noticed the sparks. His eyes grew wide and he felt his weariness fade slightly and the poison retreat. His feeling returned in his legs and he pulled himself up, stumbling a bit on his bitten knee. He would have to get an antidote fairly soon, it didn't appear as if there was enough magic to heal him fully in Marcus' exhausted state.

"So much for a serene death!" He laughed, "Thank you, I don't know-" He trailed off as his new friend began collapsing in front of him. He rushed to catch him, but instead was toppled himself. His body could barely lift anything, much less a Hylian, no matter how light.

Rolling the healer off of him he draped him over his back as best he could and set off for the gate. He limped his way towards the gate at last and yelled for a guard. He didn't feel good himself. The poison, the walk, and carrying Marcus had all taken its toll.

A guard finally arrived, rushing towards them. "What's all this?" He asked, perplexed. It wasn't every day a nobleboy came dragging an unconscious man towards the gates.

"Could you... Help me carry him?" Zajora gasped at the approaching guard. "We... Got ambushed by Skulltullas. Long story." The guard picked up Marcus, checking for a pulse.

"Your friend should be fine, just exhausted from the look of it. You though... Don't I know you from somewhere?" The guard asked. Zajora looked up at the guard. Oh dear, he most certainly did. Just a few weeks ago he'd been leading the man all over Hyrule Castle Town on a wild goose chase.

"This really isn't the time, could you help me get him to a hospital?" He asked, pulling his hood up more closely. He began limping towards the town. The guard shrugged and followed him. Soon they'd arrived at a hospital and checked in. Zajora signed the papers under the Dotour name, they should cover any costs. Well at the cost of a lecture most likely. Questioning about why he'd needed a hospital in the first place as well. Zajora grimaced at the thought.

He was administered the antidote for Skulltulla poison and Marcus recovered after a long sleep. He donned his Roc's Cape and headed over to see his friend.

Marcus was looking fairly well, if a little tired. These were the best rooms money could buy in the hospital as well. He'd be visited soon by someone. After announcing his identity to gain them access to the best the hospital had to offer there was little chance of them not finding out. He didn't plan on being here when they did.

"Marcus! You're looking a lot better. How are you feeling? My leg is back to normal! Did you sleep well?" Zajora babbled. "But seriously, thanks for the help back there. I would have died if it wasn't for you." He grinned widely, what an adventure! That was much more like his style.
  15. Quill

((Warning: To those who are just reading the story, you can skip this. Adad, you probably should. I ramble a bit, but the point's still there.))

Show Spoiler
    Don't worry, I'm guilty of the exact same crime. A fatal combination of school, a new job, a new sport, and Death Note has kept me away from my computer. As for the plot; nothing is really left to do, from the Quest's standpoint. I understand that your character has some family drama to work through; do you want my character to participate, or is he free to wander the city as he pleases? He does, after all, have an idyllic sense of Northern Hyrule that I wish to grind into the ground. Hmm... that sounds rather sadistic of me, doesn't it?

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe we could transition this into the whole 'WINTER EVENT' thing. We could wrap up the plot here, then jump over and fight the Wizzrobe or the Yeti or something. If you want to, that is. I think that if we were to do that, it would have to be from a, ah, different standpoint than what everyone expected. After all, everyone wants a big, climactic battle. I... have a different idea. You've read Artemis Fowl, after all. I'll just have my character pose the question of "what's next?" to you, so you can decide the plot. After all, my character has no further things to do, but yours does.

So, my character's just going to wake up and say, "what's next?" to yours. Sorry, but that's pretty much all I can do for now without violating the "THOU SHALT NOT CONTROL ANOTHER'S MC" rule.

I moaned softly, wiggling myself in closer to the warm embrace of the linen sheets. So soft and warm...

"Marcus!" A voice called, a familiar voice, although I couldn't quite place to whom it belonged to in my drowzy state. Really, all I wanted was to sleep... to lose myself in the bed's folds... to go back to this dream I'd been having. It was about-

"You're looking a lot better!" Voice, talking to me. I shifted uncomfortably, trying to hold onto my dream. It had been so vivid, but now outside stimuli was beginning to wash it away. The details slipped through my grasp like water in a child's palm, and I was left with absolutely no memory of what had been so wonderful. I sighed. There was no point in ignoring it any longer, I would have to get up.

"How are you feeling? My leg is back to normal. Did you sleep well?"

I cracked one eye open. It was Zajora, leaning over me. Babbling. To me, expecting an answer?

"But seriously, thanks for the help back there. I would have died if it wasn't for you." He was grinning hugely, awaiting my response.

I groaned internally. I was exhausted, my magic felt like someone had attached it to four rampaging Moblins, and I was cranky from early-morning-itis. Talking was the last thing I wanted to do, but... judging from my position and condition, I owed this man my life. If he hadn't warped us away, if he hadn't taken me here, well, my life would have been a lot harder.

It entered my head that none of this would have happened without him, but I shook that thought out of my head. After all, if he hadn't been there, we would all have been killed- his stunt with the fireball had alerted us to the fact that we were getting surrounded.

I opened my mouth, and began to speak. "Same here; I would have died if it wasn't for you." I grinned slightly, amused by my repetition of his statement. When you grew up in a cave, you had to get used to being entertained by yourself.

"Anyway," I said, looking around, "did you say this was Castle Town?" I examined the finely cut stone walls, the brown wooden door set into the pale gray stone, and the lamp set into the table. "Interesting. I've always wanted to come here..." I sighed, stretching my arms slightly. "I wonder if it's like the Elders say it is..."

I stretched my arms above my head, cocking an eye at him. "So, what now?"
  16. Quill

((Adad, I'm sorry, but it's been over two weeks. I'll also be transitioning this into the Winter Event- as soon as the quest is completed, I'm continuing its story in another quest. However, I can't finish the quest without you- Nayru's Affection, remember? I've set things up so that you can write us meeting in your next post.))

The night wind blew through Castle Town, sending old fliers and abandoned pictures flying through the alleyways and streets. I shivered, wrapping my cloak more tightly around my small frame. Were all surface cities this cold? The dirty cobble-stoned streets were covered in a thin layer of freezing white-brown powder, and more than once I had slipped on it and landed on my rear. Painful.

I had left the medical ward alone, my companion departing after mumbling something about having business to take care of. The doctors had been more than kind to me, however they had rejected my offer to stay and assist them. I didn't blame them- they didn't know me and, after all, allowing me to simply stroll up and begin operating on their patients would be most careless. I shivered again, the thin piece of fabric I had picked up Farore-knows-where not doing much to boost my comfort levels.

I leaned in closer to the window, nearly pressing my nose against the cold glass. The sight of baked bread and steaming meat sandwiches drew me in closer, my breath steaming against the window. My stomach clenched painfully, and I gripped it with my left hand.

Keaton whined, his small frame huddled into the crook of my neck.

"I know," I said, "I'm hungry too." I sighed, reaching for my wallet. "But, we only have thirty rupees." I glanced inside again. At the warmth. The food. The chairs. The smiling employees, and the customers, moaning as they satisfied their hunger.

I looked behind me, at the almost abandoned streets. At the papers flying dismally through the air. At the dying torches, nearly extinguished by the wind. At the wind itself, blowing freezing shafts of dusty air through the streets.

"Better there than here," I decided, and walked towards the door. I opened it and stepped through quickly, closing the door to prevent the delicious air from escaping. And delicious it was- smells that I couldn't identify sent my body into a frenzy, and my stomach growled loudly, protesting its neglection and announcing its all-consuming desire.

"Hello, and welcome to SerfWay, how can I help you?"

----_____------_______-----______-----;

A man stumbled through the door, staggering towards the middle of the restaurant. "Sleep... sleep... all... sleeping... sleep... cold... sleep..."

"Sir?" A plump woman asked kindly, stepping out from behind the bar. "Are you alright?"

The man shivered, his hair strewn across his downcast face. Rocking back and forth. Back and forth. "Sleep... won't wake... cold... ice... sleep..."

"Sir?"

"They all went to sleep."

"Who?" She asked stepping forward, reaching out a comforting hand.

He lifted his head, dead eyes staring at the wall, unseeing and unknowing. "Everyone." He laughed softly, each coughing laugh wracking his tattered frame. He stopped laughing, and cocked his head slightly. "They went to sleep, but they never woke up." He grinned. "Isn't that great?"

I took a sip from my mug, watching dimly as the woman sat him down and called for the Guard. I breathed deeply, allowing my emotions to recede, bringing the coldly logical power of the brain to the forefront of my thoughts and being.

I hummed, thinking about what the man had said. Hylians died when exposed to extremely low temperatures for long periods of time, their minds slowly shutting down until they 'fell asleep.' Falling asleep being, of course, a euphemism for dying.

I took another sip. People only notice what is unusual. Therefore, this weather was not common for the region. Either by way of supernatural influence or extremely unnatural weather conditions, the temperature was dropping far below safety levels.

"So far," I mused, "that people have already begun to die." I took another sip, looking down into the steaming mug of chocolate. "I wonder," I murmured, examining its depths, "what is causing this? A vengeful deity, committed to burying the land in snow and ice? A wizard's experiment gone wrong? Or, maybe there's nothing supernatural about this. Maybe Castle Town is merely in for the worst winter it's ever experienced..."

I sighed, pushing my mug across the table. "What do you think, Ki-Ki?"

Keaton yawned, stretching luxuriously atop the warm wooden tabletop.

"Yes," I said, "that's what I thought too. We don't have enough information right now... we need to find someone who knows more about what's going on." I bit my lip. "But who?"

The giggling of the psychologically disturbed reached my ears, and I looked round to see the man rock backward and forward in his chair.

"He will do," I said, rising from my seat, "for a start." Keaton chittered, dashing up my arms and nestling into his spot on my shoulder. I walked towards the table where he sat, making sure to keep my movements nonthreatening and calm, so as not to frighten the subject. Of course, any information I obtained from him had to be taken with a grain of salt. He was, if not insane, very close to it. Still, it was a start.

"Excuse me," I said, sitting down across from him, keeping my body as relaxed and still as possible, "my name is Marcus, and I would like to ask you a few questions about what you saw."

He slammed his hand down on the table, startling a nearby couple. "I'm not crazy, I tell you! They did! Asleep! Cold... cold... cold..." He whimpered, rocking back and forth in his chair again. "Cold... cold... cold...."

"I'm sure it was," I said coolly, "and I do believe you." I felt a twinge of unease. Did I believe him? After all, no-one else was panicking. Yes, I had heard the doctors say that this was a cold winter, and yes, the nurses had gossiped about all the cases of hypothermia and frostbite they were getting lately, but still. Was that enough? The word of a possibly insane man and the grumblings of the hospital staff?

I shook my doubts away. That was, after all, why I was doing this. To find the truth of the matter. If there was nothing unusual going on, then fine. On to the next topic of interest. If not, well then, things could get very interesting, very fast.

"You believe me?" His voice startled me out of my soliloquy, and I looked up. He had ceased his incessant rocking, and was staring at me with his wide blue eyes. "I'm not crazy?"

"Yes." I leaned forward and placed my hands on the table top, establishing a position of dominance and intimidation. "Now tell me. Where was this?"

"The Northern Mountains." He said, gazing plaintively at me, begging me to understand. "We were mining in the Northern Mountains when the storm hit."

My ears perked up. "Storm?"

"Yes." He nodded furiously. "Can't you see it looming overhead? It's always there!" He sobbed, but thankfully did not resume his rocking. "Always there...."

"I try not to look up too much, honestly," I said, picking at a spot on the table. "I have this thing with the sky."

"We didn't think anything at first," he said, "it was just a bunch of clouds- that's what we thought. What fools we were!"

He paused, lost in his thoughts, and I felt a spark of irritation. "Continue, please."

"Cold. All of a sudden, it was so cold. The wind blew everything around, stronger and stronger until finally we began evacuating. Too late... the storm was on us. Ice and snow everywhere, my fingers felt like falling off," and here he brandished his hands at me, waving them in my face, "then... they fell asleep! All of them! One after another, and I ran. Ran as far away as I could from that... that thing!"

"Thing? What thing?" I leaned forward. His answer would prove to be crucial in my investigations.

"It... it was a monster! Blue robes with a bird's mask, pouring magic into the storm, cackling!"

I gazed calmly at him. "Was it humanoid?"

"W-what?"

"Did it look human-ish?" I sighed. "Two arms, two legs, a head?"

"Uh," he said doubtfully, "I think so. I was running away from it, so I don't know-"

"Thank you for your time." I rose from my chair and left for my table. The mug should still be warm- it had only been a few minutes since I had left it.

"W-wait!" He called, and I paused. "There's something else!"

"Oh?" I asked, without turning around. "What might that be?"

"He had something. An orb of darkness."

I sighed. "Thank you." I left for my table, feeling the beginnings of a headache grip me.

Something grabbed my wrist and spun me about. Inches from my face, he glared into my eyes. "You believe me, right?" He whispered loudly, his eyes wide and gaping. "I'm not crazy?"

I gazed calmly back into his pupils. "Whether or not your story is true is uncertain. However, I think we can safely assume that the ordeal has, in fact, caused severe psychological damage." I pulled my arm out of his grasp. "Pray that it is not permanent."

The door clanged open, and five members of the Guard trooped in. "Where?" The captain inquired brusquely.

"Here," I said, my eyes not leaving the shaking man's, "make sure that he gets the help he needs."

The Guard dragged him out, his screams bouncing through the room. "You said you believed me! You said I wasn't crazy! No! No! Don't take me! Get your hands off me!"

"Calm yourself," I said, although the man could not hear me, "they won't hurt you."

I turned to the bar. "Madam," I said politely, "where might I find the town library? There are some things that I wish to look into."

"T-there are two."

"Which has a more comprehensive selection?"

"The one in the NorthEast district, but they might not let you in."

"Let me worry about that." I turned towards the door. "Thank you for your time." With that, I walked past my mug and out of the restaurant.

First things first- was there something wrong. Easy to figure out. I took a deep, steadying breath. "Farore protect me."

I looked up, ready to see again the vast nothingness above my head, stretching on to the infinite reaches of the world. But, that was not the case. Instead, there was a gigantic cloud, so huge that it encompassed all of the normally empty blue void. I didn't know much about the surface world, but I knew this. It was big, and gray, and very menacing.

Yes, there was something wrong. No, it was not natural. The crazy man's testimony was definitely a good start. A blue-robed humanoid creature wearing the mask of a bird... where had I heard of that before? I hummed, walking towards the hospital. Yes- the hospital. I was not rich, nor did I appear rich. There was no chance that I would be permitted into the stuffy nobles' district. However, my erstwhile companion was a different story. I knew nothing about his backstory, however he had displayed familiarity with the city. He must know a way in, and if not, then he knew someone who did. Someone at the hospital must know his name, and where I could find him. Once I did, then I could get into the Library. And once I was in the Library, I could research this... monster.

I grinned, and scratched Keaton's ears. He purred softly, nudging my hand. "Things are about to start getting interesting. Life on the surface might not be so bad after all." I laughed, the sound reverberating through the abandoned streets of Hyrule Castle Town.

"I'm going to like this place."

((Adad, I can't end the quest until I receive my reward. Then I'm probably going to start another one. I don't know what you're planning to do with your character and his family, but could you write us meeting and you teaching me Nayru's Affection? If possible, I would like you to allow my character to enter the Library as well.))
  17. Quill

((Just checked the Jan. 2 update on Hyrule Castle. Adad, I want to have my character participate in my other character's RP, but I need to finish this up. Your goal was the Spell Scholar profession for your character. Unless you want us to be in totally unconnected buildings in Hyrule Castle Town, thus preventing us from finishing the RP, I'm going to be writing us into the Hospital where my character woke up. I'll meet you, then pleaaaaaaaase write you teaching me Nayru's Affection so we can finish))

January 7

We're out of candles. The only remaining source of light is my Blue Candle, now. The sun doesn't penetrate through a dozen feet of snow, and the only other way we can see is for Zajora to use Fire constantly. Soon, we'll be out of flammable objects to burn. He's trying to teach himself Spark, but...

Mrs. Alya died today. Dr. Sanders found her lying asleep in her bed. Her old body couldn't take the cold anymore on top of her diseases, and it shut down. We don't know what we're going to do with the body. If left alone, it'll stink up the place. But, where else can we put her? Shove her out a window, into the packed snow? One of the nurses here knows an air-freshening spell, but having a corpse in the corner would still be really gross. Plus, the few flies left will repopulate. That spell's been enormously useful, though; having a constant supply of oxygen's always a good thing.

Surprisingly enough, it was Zajora who came up with a solution. He used Fire to burn a tunnel in the snow, and after we placed her body inside, Din's Burst was more than enough to dispose of her remains.

We thought about using Fire again and again to free ourselves, but... what would we do? The blizzard's coming in harder and harder, and if we exposed ourselves to the elements, we'd all die. Dr. Sanders did a few calculations; all of Hyrule Castle Town is most likely buried by now. Where we would we go if we did burn ourselves out?

January 11

The situation here is deteriorating rapidly. Five more of the patients have died. Some of the people here are saying that if we wait too long, we won't be able to escape.

Dr. Sanders said that Zajora will be able to burn us out, no matter how deep the snow is.

"And what if he dies? What then, eh?"

I tried to say that I would make sure that Zajora would stay safe.

"He's more important than we are, huh?"

"It's not that," I said, "but he's young and healthy. The odds of him dying like the old, crippled, diseased patients are slim. And, well, he is our only way out."

Needless to say, the opposition wasn't pleased with my argument. Slowly, more and more people began to sway to the side of 'lets get the heck outta here.'

Unfortunately, I can feel myself being swayed to their position as well.

Why? One reason. One reason that trumps all the others.

We're nearly out of food.

And so, I reason, making a long, winding tunnel through the now-solid-ice to the surface, with plenty of removable insulators to keep the warm air in, we could theoretically venture to the surface and get food. But... how? All the other buildings are buried under dozens of feet of snow and ice.

Again, it was Zajora who had the answer. The Hospital had a small town map for tourists we could use to pinpoint the approximate location of restaurants and grocery stores, located around the city. He just had to utilize the Fire spell again and again until we found the entrance.

Some of the others decided that they would strike out for Lon Lon Ranch, heading towards Death Mountain. Dr. Sanders tried to convince them otherwise, tried to tell them that the odds of them surviving the blizzard to civilization were slender at best. They wouldn't listen.

On their heads be it, then. More supplies for us, then. Less whining and moaning to clutter up the air, too.

Zajora's starting to work on the tunnel now. Estimated time of completion: two days.

January 12

It seems that my estimation was off. Thankfully. Zajora proved much more capable than I had anticipated, and required less rest than I would have expected from such a young boy. I had a few questions about his age, too. His mannerisms and sentence syntax were far different than that of an 8 year old boy. But, I didn't press the point. His past was his, after all, and any questions from the less-tactful about it were met with a sudden subject change and inexplicable deafness.

We reached the surface, bundled up in layers upon layers of hospital gowns. The others blocked the entrance behind us, keeping the air warm inside. I used the Blue Candle to illuminate his map, and we made our way to the SerfWay that Monsieur Crazy-pants had entered so long ago. In actuality, it was only a few weeks, but it felt whole lifetimes away.

Zajora burned his way down to the entrance, and we managed to pry the door open. I made to go in, but he stopped me with an arm, warning me about the stale air. I thanked him, and we stood by for a minute, painfully aware of the cold air rushing into the restaurant. But, after all, wasn't that the point?

When we entered the now-equally-freezing interior, we were met with the sight of three decaying bodies. They had been dead for a while, but not so long that I couldn't recognize them. The Captain of the Guard. The plump lady who had tried to help the survivor. The survivor himself, holding a blood-stained knife in his hand. A knife embedded into the lady.

"The Captain must have died from oxygen deprivation," I noted, having become painfully immune to death in the last week. And yet, I could not say that I didn't feel. The mutation and death of three innocent people were registered into my heart, joining the dead hospital patients who had helplessly frozen to death in the snow. How many others had died from this storm?

Mark my words. I will find the one who caused this. I will find him. And I will end him.

"Here's what I think happened," I said, "all three chose to stay in the restaurant, there being plenty of food stored here. The man with the knife snapped at the thought of dying the same way as his friends. He stabbed the lady with a bread knife, and was speared by the Captain of the Guard. The Captain falls asleep, and never wakes up."

I sighed. "I feel so useless," I mused, this thought being on my mind for a long time. Ever since watching Zajora go down, actually. "I can only help people after they get hurt. What good would I have been if I had been here? Wait for them to get stabbed to heal them, then watch as they died from oxygen deprivation?"

I walked up to the bar, noting the large amount of food still remaining. "I mean, I don't want to watch people get hurt. Can't I do something to help? Can't I protect, as well as heal?"

I sighed. "Wishful thinking, huh? Maybe there's a spell for that or something. But, I guess it'd have to wait until after the blizzard passes. Not much I can do right now... "

My mind wandered off, barely noting Zajora's bit lip or pondering expression. Back to the source of this disaster. The monster. The humanoid bird-masked creature in blue robes. I had asked around the Hospital, but no-one knew enough enough about Demonology to help me.

I sighed. I wanted to give up. I wanted to say that the torch would have to pass to another hero, that another would have the seemingly-insurmountable task of taking down the Demon. I wanted to give up.

I grabbed the bar counter, frowning. But, no matter how much I wanted to... I couldn't. I had to fight on. For the good of Hyrule. For the people who had fallen. For the living, as much as the dead. I thought of my family, back at the Western Caves. My knuckles whitened. The thought of them freezing to death was....

"No." I said softly, releasing the counter and standing upright. "I will not fall. This is not the end."

"Zajora," I said, "give me the map. We're making a detour."

((COUGH. COUGH. Detour's to the Library, but you don't have to write that. You can have the spell-teachy thingy in the building, if you want))
  18. adad64

adad64 Admin admin

Zajora looked at Marcus and shook his head. He didn't have much energy to waste on conversation right now. The constant stream of fireballs he'd provided over the last few days was starting to really take its toll, like chipping away with a pickaxe for days on end. Magic was a little different though, you couldn't stretch it too far. If you tried you simply ran out and he didn't like their chances if that happened. The only thing to do was to rest if he felt absolutely drained and try to punch his way to the surface.

He began counting the hours, the days he'd been doing this. He'd gone to sleep twice and had no other way of tracking time. The sun was a legend now, far from their bitterly cold cavern of death. Suddenly a clump of snow fell and light shone through. Looking up through dazed eyes he suddenly realized what he'd done and gave a whoop of joy. "WHOOP!" He whooped joyfully, and stared at the sunlight he'd missed.

He ran back down and despite his exhaustion he told them all what he'd done. They rushed outside into a cold even more biting than before, but almost didn't care with the euphoria brought on by the return of the sun. Then they noticed other things. Or rather the fact that everything was under snow. He looked back at his tunnel and realized he had been horribly inefficient, it went on an incredible slant that was hard to tell when the only way to know if down was down was by gravity since everything was dark. He headed back to the hospital, too cold for anything else.

In the time that followed he encountered the dead remains of the restaurant goers. The insane frostbitten one had seemingly gone more insane as time went on. He'd seen worse in his travels, but not much worse. They then made their way to the library at Marcus' request, though he thought they should find somewhere decidedly warmer. Then again, with books as fuel they could keep a bonfire going for quite a while. That thought made him shudder, burning the books was a horrible thing to do. If people took refuge there who knew what madness would go on?

Humming an eery tune to himself he finally made it to the library. Well to a wall anyway. Din's Burst quickly remedied that. Footsteps began coming closer and closer. What appeared to be two Hylian Guards burst through the doors to examine the disturbance. "Hello!" Zajora said cheerfully, "Hope you don't mind about your wall, but we need to take a look at something here."

The guards uncertainly lowered their weapons. They rushed back, probably to inform the others of the escape route and crazy intruders. He turned to Marcus, "If we're really going after the thing that did this you'll need a bit more protection. I haven't taught any spells in a while but I'll do my best. Just hold your hand like this and focus on a shield. Also blue, though I'm not sure why that helps."

He spent the next little while helping Marcus get the hang of the spell, and found he wasn't all that rusty after all. Or Marcus was a good pupil, but he liked the idea that he was still a good teacher better.
  19. Quill

Magic. Cascading, bursting, dancing.

I collapsed to the floor, panting, feeling the energy hum through my being.

Alone. Solitary, quiet, empty.

Zajora had just walked away, back into the bookshelves.

Cold. Shaking, chattering, trembling.

My breath crystallized in mid-air, misting against the tiled floor.

Pain. Searing, shooting, stabbing pain.

My hands trembled against the icy floor. So much pain...

Emotion. Elation, excitement, energized.

I brought my head up, grinning wildly at the bookshelves.

Knowledge. Enlightenment, epiphany, revelation.

My magic had been wrenched this way and that, conforming into a new shape entirely.

Power. Cleansing, burning, rushing.

I sliced my hand in front of me, and a shimmering blue wall of energy arced into being.

Triumph.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.