Skulltula Silk

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Spirit Adept, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Name: Skulltula Silk

P/W/C Type: None

Appearance: Dull white silk

Description of Function: Material used for making clothes, creates clothing that is resistant to damage.

Limitations: Requires one bolt of cloth per shirt or pants, two bolts of cloth for robes.

Description (open)
    Harvested from skulltula spiders and treated to remove its stickiness, skulltula silk can be used to create remarkably durable clothing. While nowhere near as strong as metal armor, skulltula silk does provide far more protection then simple clothing. This makes it ideal armor for those whom heavy metal armor isn't an option. The treatment for skulltula silk also removes its extreme flammability, making it as vulnerable to fire as normal clothing would be.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Ooh, I like this. A material that doesn't involve blade-metals. Me gusta; this is also something that I can see myself legitimately getting. Protective gear for my mage that isn't ridiculous? Sign me up!

Can it be colored in making clothes, does it have to be dull white, or d'you think it doesn't matter enough to specify?
  3. Spirit Adept

I figured the silk itself is a dull white, but like most cloth it can be dyed and decorated in any way you can imagine.
  4. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

I like this concept. Can you give me an example on its defensive strength, though? Like... will this prevent a dagger from cutting someone if it's slashed at an article of clothing made from this?
  5. Spirit Adept

I would say...it's about as effective as chainmail. Just like normal skulltula webs, you're chances of cutting through something so tightly woven is pretty nil. Not that that makes you immune to swords and such, the cloth doesn't protect against the force of a weapon, so getting hit with a sword still means getting hit with a giant metal stick. You just won't get cut.

Weapons that pierce likes spears or arrows are less affected by the cloth. It still probably wouldn't cut through it, but the weapon still has a sharp point and can probably stab you through the cloth unless it was inches thick. The skulltula silk would basically make getting stabbed by a spear more like getting stabbed by a blunt spear.
  6. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Alright then, this gets my vote of approval.

[1/2]
  7. Quill

`Skulltula Silk
    Borderline Canon, Magic-Tier - Defense
    [Material], [Protection], [Single-Use]

5 rupees per bolt

Harvested from skulltula spiders and treated to remove its stickiness, this dull white silk can be used to create remarkably durable clothing. While nowhere near as strong as metal armor, skulltula silk does provide far more protection then simple clothing, being about as effective as chain-mail armor. This makes it ideal armor for those whom heavy metal armor isn't an option. The treatment for skulltula silk also removes its extreme flammability, making it as vulnerable to fire as normal clothing would be. One bolt of silk is needed to make a pair of pants or a shirt, while full-body clothing (such as robes) requires two.
  8. Quill

5r may actually be too cheap, now that I think on it. Maybe 15r?
  9. Spirit Adept

You could probably set it all the way at 20 rupees per bolt. We are talking about a material where someone has to go out and collect skulltula webs without getting stuck/eaten.

Unless they somehow had a skulltula farm, but I imagine that would be an equally as unpleasant profession, haha.
  10. Quill

You've got my vote [1/2]

`Skulltula Silk
    [Material], [Protection], [Single-Use]

20 rupees per bolt

Harvested from skulltula spiders and treated to remove its stickiness, this dull white silk can be used to create remarkably durable clothing. While nowhere near as strong as metal armor, skulltula silk does provide far more protection then simple clothing, being about as effective as chain-mail armor. This makes it ideal armor for those whom heavy metal armor isn't an option. The treatment for skulltula silk also removes its extreme flammability, making it as vulnerable to fire as normal clothing would be. One bolt of silk is needed to make a pair of pants or a shirt, while full-body clothing (such as robes) requires two.
  11. Quill

It'd probably be simpler to just take out the "bolt" thing.

`Skulltula Silk
    [Material], [Organic], [Protection], [Single-Use]

20 rupees

Harvested from skulltula spiders and treated to remove its stickiness, this dull white silk can be used to create remarkably durable clothing. While nowhere near as strong as metal armor, skulltula silk does provide far more protection then simple clothing, being about as effective as chain-mail armor. This makes it ideal armor for those whom heavy metal armor isn't an option. The treatment for skulltula silk also removes its extreme flammability, making it as vulnerable to fire as normal clothing would be.