Shadow Meld

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Magnere, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Name: Shadow Meld

P/W/C Type: Courage

Appearance: The user seems to fade to black and merges with the shadow.

Description of Function: Within a large enough shadow, the user is able to blend into the shadow, becoming all but invisible. They are able to walk around, still invisible, as long as they remain in the shadow. It takes only half a seconds concentration to blend in.

Limitations: If a the user is seen melding into the shadow, it is less effective. People with a lens of truth, or a cross can see through the illusion. Any treasures that create/reflect light, such as illuminate, can cause this spell to be nullified. The more a user moves in the shadow, the less effective it is. Leaving the shadow causes the effect to end. At night, the effect is stronger, due to the absence of the suns light.

Possible Augment: A caster with can affect any number of beings with Shadow Meld

A time limit might be needed, I'm not sure. But otherwise, this would be a great power for a stealthy character. Less expensive version of motionless invisibility, but limited by the need for a shadow.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'm... very iffy on this, simply because it has the potential to be extremely powerful. On HC, all effects which make a character virtually undetectable have severe limitations. In the case of Stone Mask (or Motionless Invisibility), it's impossible to even move, and the effect ends as soon as you move--even that's on the brink of being overpowered.

As a general rule of thumb, if you can make a killing stroke without being detected by normal senses, then the treasure seems overpowered. It's one of the unwritten lines that no one treasure should cross. Arguably, this treasure would enable its user to sneak in invisibly, make a killing stroke, and sneak away--especially as there's no real limit to how large a shadow could be.

Not that's it a bad idea, but it's just a bit too powerful for HC. :yomp:
  3. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I have an idea to help fix Guy's issues with the treasure, if either of you wanna hear it.

Perhaps instead of complete invisibility, it could be a type of semi-invisibility? Upon entering a shadow, the user would turn virtually invisible to the unperceptive, the distracted. Those just glancing with peripherals would see nothing more than shadows, as would those simply glancing over quickly as they walked. However, for the perceptive, whether they knew the target was there or not, it would be treated as if the user was simply running around in the shadows as normal, though with a lack of specific body details(So, the viewer couldn't make specifics such as their facial structure or specific armor type, but they could see general body size and shape, as if the user was masked by the shadows). So, those who are actively searching for the user, analyzing the shadows, or just getting a grasp of the area around them would be uneffected by this. The general populace would be uneffected, as would rather lax characters, but it would not be an end all be all invisibility, assuming shadows were present.

I think this is an interesting restriction, and really puts emphasis on the stealth aspect, rather than the assassination aspect, and makes it a bit more balanced. It could still probably use some sort of limitation for duration, along with the shadow being at least large enough to mostly contain the user.

Though, if one of you doesn't like the idea, that's fine, it's just something I thought of reading Guy's reply.
  4. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    I'm going to change it up a bit, how about make it exactly like motionless invisibility except you have to remain in a shadow? Sure you couldn't move, but you can't with motionless invisibility either. Light would still dispel it, but it would be a cheaper alternative, but with more limitations. Does that seem ok?
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

6. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    It says:
    While invisible in this way, he cannot move, and becomes INVISIBLE if struck by light.
    I'm pretty sure everything else checks out. Looks great.