Shadow Dive

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Squishy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Err, this is a very rough idea, it’ll need lots and lots of tweaking but I really wanted to throw this idea out here.

Name: Shadow Dive

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: The user merges with any shadows around him/her, allowing them to travel unseen.

Description of Function: If the user is near any shadows of the users size or bigger, they can take a deep breath and dive into them, like water, effectively making them able to travel through the shadows unseen. It can be used as a quick getaway from nasty situations or just a quicker way of travelling, though the user can only stay in the shadows as long as they can hold their breath.

Limitations: Can’t be used too often (wears the user out, just like you can’t keep diving in and out of water), lasts only for as long as the user can hold their breath, can only be used when there are shadows large enough for the user to fit in, doesn’t work in complete darkness as there’s no shadow there and lighting up a shadow makes the user appear again.
    User can still be hit and hurt while in the shadows.
    Characters with Sense, a Cross or the Lens of Truth would be able to see a disturbance in the shadow and could be able to spot (and hit) the user.
    The longest distance one could travel would be about 10 meters I think?
    Also, I think, since this is partially dark/shadow based, having DA could be a prereq?

I need a lot of help in wording everything better and shorter, and I’m not quite sure how often you would be able to use this. My guess would be up to five times a day? I’d say swimming through shadows is not possible, you can travel as far as a normal dive into water would take you, and you’d roughly travel at the same speed of someone diving into water would. It's more of a quick way to escape than transportation.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Shadow does not equal Dark. Shadow is one of the traditional Zelda elements and Dark is defined as "magic that is derived from sacrificing one's humanity." Very different concepts.

Let me see if I have a good grasp of this treasure.

"The caster may dive into the shadows as a swimmer would in water, traveling as far as the same is capable of doing. Just as a Hylians cannot inhale water, so too can the caster not breathe in the shadows. This spell cannot be used in total darkness, and light shone on the caster will break it. The character is still susceptible to injury while in the shadows; however, only characters with a Cross or the Lens of Truth can see him, and characters with Sense will still be able to know his vague location."
  3. Squishy

Ah right, I didn't think about that :V But that's fine.

But yes, that would actually be a pretty good description of the treasure c:
  4. Quill

I'm good with this treasure. If it didn't have the "dive like a swimmer" element I probably wouldn't be, but it's such a good clause that any potential misuse of this treasure is avoided, imo. [1/2]
  5. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

My question is, why would you not be able to use this in complete darkness? Shadow is merely the absense of light in a given area. When you see a shadow its because the photons are blocked by whatever is obscuring it. If, for instance, you are in a dark room with no light, its all in shadow, for there is definitely light shining in its direction from somewhere, whether its a roof or walls that blocks the light or perhaps even the earth at night, it would still be in shadow.
  6. Squishy

Alright, I guess that depends on how you look at it. I've always learned you can't have shadows in total darkness since there is no light to create shadows, but I suppose your way could work fine as well. c:

One question though, how would you be able to notice the caster in total darkness? A shadow is a certain (or is that marked?) area, but in a room in total darkness you could have the problem of passing through another thing/person, what about that?
  7. Quill

I think that this may be getting a little too specific for the treasure entry. Remember that we can't dictate absolutely everything about a treasure, because that robs RPers of creative license. Treasure entries are very spartan in nature, and they need to consist of only the treasures' effects and its limitations. Treasures are best left open-ended to give RPers as much freedom as possible, and making it absolute that things need to be scientific and work like X, Y, and Z but as C in circumstance Q is too much.

Whether it's scientific or not, Shadow is generally considered different than pitch black. I'm fine with the sentence staying in.
  8. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

This seems like somewhat of a moot point, because there's usually at least some level of light in normal, non-experiment situations. I'm not as concerned about the science behind it as I am the effect it might have on RP. Toko is right that it makes sense to be able to use this in varying degrees of darkness, but Squishy is also right that it could potential break the spell (though if it's absolute darkness, what would be the point of diving into it--they wouldn't be able to see you anyway)

That said, I have a potential fix to which I'd be interested in hearing other opinions. Since we're treating this kind of like a liquid, what if heavier shadows were also more difficult and dangerous to move through. On the one hand, it's harder to see you because it's darker, but on the other hand you might risk being consumed by the darkness and effectively drowning in it or not traveling very far.

Thoughts?
  9. Quill

Also meaning that shallower shadows are less concealing than the thicker stuff. I'm fine with it if Squish is; it's a good amendum imo and the "could be lost in them" sounds for great RP opportunities.
  10. Squishy

Uhhh, it might make things a bit too complicated, how would you classify something as a thick or light shadow?

I'd just say it would be a little pointless to use in total dark because it is already dark, so people wouldn't be able to see you anyway, like Rib said.

If it would fix everything I guess I'm alright with it, but it wouldn't be my favourite solution. No offense, though. :V
    I'm just not too sure about getting lost in shadows, since most shadows aren't really that large, and I think you wouldn't be able to hide in a shadow smaller than yourself, but I don't know if that would be too specific for the treasure.
  11. Quill

This is what we have right now.

"The caster may dive into the shadows as a swimmer would from a tall height into water, traveling as far as the same is capable of doing in a single direction before completely reappearing later in the shadows. This spell cannot be used in total darkness, and light shone on the caster will break it. The character is still susceptible to injury while in the shadows; however, only characters with a Cross or the Lens of Truth can see him, and characters with Sense will still be able to know his vague location."

Ribs, your suggestions were good, except that 1) the caster would be totally invisible, no matter how dark the shadows were that he dived into; and 2) difficult / dangerous / lost in the shadows is a cool bit of flavor, but flavor nonetheless, and we're trying to keep that largely out of the spartan treasure entries.

There are several issues being brought up at the moment. First, what is a shadow? Like Toko said, anything could be called a shadow, and if you could make an argument for anything, you could dive and disappear into virtually any spot. Perhaps if we called it "a dark shadow", putting emphasis on "dark"? That leaves it clear what we mean, and open to some intepretation without misuse. Second, what do we do with total darkness? Perhaps we could edit it to say, "if it's too dark to see, this spell won't work" or something similar?
  12. Squishy

I think that might be a good idea. You'd be able to use the spell in near total darkness, but without the problem of 'how much darkness is still shadow'. You should be able to use it in near total darkness, but in total darkness you wouldn't be able to see where the shadows are, thus not be able to use the spell?

I think adding those two lines would be a good plan c:
  13. Quill

I'm not really sure what you mean, but if you said adding those lines would be a good idea, alright.

Here's what I understand this to be.

"The caster may dive into dark shadows larger than himself as he would from a tall height into water, invisibly traveling in a single direction as far as he would be capable of doing in water before completely reappearing later in the shadows. Swimming through the shadows is impossible; this spell only allows for the caster to dive and resurface. Similarly, breathing while inside the shadows is impossible; the caster must hold his breath during the dive. This spell cannot be used if it is too dark to see, and any light shone on the caster will cause him to immediately appear, the spell broken. While invisible, the caster is still susceptible to injury during the spell; however, characters with a Cross or the Lens of Truth are capable of seeing him, and characters with Sense will still be able to know his vague location."

[1/2] for the above.
  14. Squishy

Oops, I meant, adding the two things you mentioned, the "dark shadow" bit and that if it's too dark to see you can't use the spell.

I think the description is fine now?
  15. Quill

If what I put in quotations is fine, then no prob. [1/2] for the quotations XD
  16. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Let's draft it!
  17. Quill

Roger Roger. How's this, Squish?

mental note to self, make a [Shadow] field

`Shadow Dive
    Original: Squishy, Spell - Defense/Utility
    [Alteration], [Shadow], [Travel]

W5: 45 rupees
    W4: 60 rupees
    W3: 90 rupees
    W2: 120 rupees
    W1: 240 rupees

The caster may dive into dark shadows larger than himself as he would from a tall height into water, invisibly traveling in a single direction as far as he would be capable of doing in water before completely reappearing later in the shadows. Swimming through the shadows is impossible; this spell only allows for the caster to dive and resurface. Similarly, breathing while inside the shadows is impossible; the caster must hold his breath during the dive. This spell cannot be used if it is too dark to see, and any light shone on the caster will cause him to immediately appear, the spell broken. While invisible, the caster is still susceptible to injury during the spell; however, characters with a Cross or the Lens of Truth are capable of seeing him, and characters with Sense will still be able to know his vague location.
  18. Squishy

Sounds good to me! c: