Selena Garetson

Discussion in 'Accepted Characters' started by Spirit Adept, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Honor: Regular

Name: Selena Isabella Garetson

Race: Northern Hylian

Place of Origin: Hyrule Castletown (North Eastern district)

PWC: 2/4/1

Treasures: Dark Affinity, Flame Choke, Arcane Bolt, Spark

Height: 5' 6"

Weight: 130 lbs

Equipment: Traveling equipment, knives, study equipment for magical arts.

Residence: Nomadic

Appearance: Everything about Selena identifies her as a traveling mage. From her large backpack to her well worn leather boots, it's obvious she's been on the move a lot. While her earthly brown clothing consist mostly of just a basic tunic with matching slacks, the unmistakable slim robe of a wizard is wrapped around her fit body and is held in place with a belt. Her hands are covered by long gloves with the finger cut out of them, a trick Selena was taught to make it easier for her hands to make the intricate movements necessary for spellcasting while still keeping them warm.

To an observant onlooker though, Selena's looks and hygiene may betray her as being of noble birth. Her long red hair is carefully tended to, tied up in a ponytail to keep it out of her way. The fair skin on her face is free of blemishes, her violet eyes are bright and healthy, and her fingernails are well kept and manicured. Even the way she moves leaves hints of someone who grew up in a house where pose and grace were important things.

Personality: Despite looking like a fair lady of Hyrule, Selena's personality is anything but. Studying dark magic has robbed her of her ability to empathize with other people and while she does possess the ability to fake that lost skill of hers, more often then not she chooses not too simply because she doesn't care. People only matter to the hylian when she needs them for something, beyond that they are simply things that are either in her way or not. Selena at the very least doesn't live her life universally loathing everything, outside of when things cross her she is rather pleased with her life and herself.

On a deeper level, Selena suffers from one of the oldest flaws in the world: hubris. Selena is a hylian mage and proud of it. Not only does it add to her belief that other people are beneath her, Selena is always on the look out to continue proving to herself that she is the best of the best bar none. Therefore, it is extremely unsettling to her when she's proven otherwise. Often times it drives her to correct the mistake despite it costing her in the end. It's a mistake that Selena is doomed to repeat time and time again while never learning from it.

Backstory: Selena's life started in the usual way, if slightly luckier then most for being born into nobility. As an only child she received the full attention, and resources, of her parents. Although she lived a lavish life, the hylian did her part to earn it in the eyes of her parents. She excelled at her studies, master the art of manners and properness, and served as an asset to her parents at parties, gatherings, and meetings. She learned discipline throughout her childhood, which would aid her well when it was discovered she had a talent for magic.

Eager to master her new skill, Selena petitioned her parents for a mentor and schooling in magical arts. Finding mage teachers was much harder then finding scholars to teach math and history and they eventually had to settle for one that would teach Selena but only on his estate in the countryside. Agreements were made, rupees changed hands, expectations were set, and Selena was off to become a proper magic user with her new mentor.

While it was an adjustment to live in the country for Selena, she managed it for the opportunity to learn magic. And learn she did, Selena's mentor was an excellent teacher who imparted more then just simple magic theory to her, but also all the tricks and tips he learned throughout his life. Like cutting the fingers off her gloves to make it easier for somatic spellcasting, or how a spoonful of green potion in your morning tea helps keep your mind fresh for the whole day. While at first their relationship was stiff and strictly professional, in time they warmed up to each other and developed a friendship. At least for a time...

As Selena grew older and learned more and more about how magic works, she began to figure out that there were things she was not being told or taught in full. Her mentor explained that not every form of magic should be learned as they were too dangerous and she was better off not learning them. Selena was not content with this however, the idea of mastering what she was taught just to be outdone by someone who had chosen to push the boundaries seemed ridiculous to her. She began to study magic on her own behind her mentor's back, picking through books he had forbidden her to read and conducting her own experiments in her free time. In her studies Selena began to veer off the path of normal magic and into something much darker. It required dedication and sacrifice, and she was all too willing to provide that for the opportunity to become even stronger.

It didn't take long for someone as learned as her mentor to realize what was going on with Selena. When he had proof of her going behind his back he immediately released her from his tutelage and sent her back home. In Selena's mind his actions just proved to her that she was on the right path. He was worried that she would become stronger then him and had to make sure she couldn't become any more powerful. With that encouragement, Selena decided to set off on her own instead of return home in order to seek out secret and forbidden techniques that would make her more powerful then she could ever hope. In time, Selena believed she could amass enough power to rival even the goddesses.

Rupees: 55
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I really like this; she has a cool backstory, and I like how you stuck with her point of view through her backstory. Right now, I'm focusing mainly on the math. I'm not entirely sure where your numbers are coming from.

100 (automatic CC rupees) + 35 (Magic Proficiency) - 10 (Spark) - 50 (Dark Affinity) - 40 (Flame Choke) - 30 (Arcane Bolt) - 20 (Ice Shot) = -15r

If I missed something, sorry.
  3. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

My kingdom, my kingdom, for a calculator. Fixed the math error by removing Ice Shot and adding 5 rupees to the total.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Awesome. Quill checked the math like a champion among mods, and everything in here checks out. I look forward to seeing her in action. Enjoy!