Really? Really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quill, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Behold, the newest Nintendo handheld: The Nintendo 2DS! It plays 3DS games in 2D! And it's backwards compatible with the other DS systems, so you can buy this to play games you probably could already play anyway!

Please tell me I'm missing something 0.O
  2. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

Apparently, the 2DS doesn't have 2 screens, one 3D one 2D, like on the 3DS. It has one big screen, meaning that the 2DS might potentially be able to have games that use both screens as touch screens.

Also, it's significantly cheaper (the cheapest handheld on launch in history), so people who don't have enough money for a 3DS but want to play its games can buy the 2DS at a much cheaper price, but without the same quality as a 3DS.

(that's what I heard, but the latter point was my own evaluation)
  3. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I heard it was basically meant for people who found the 3ds too expensive, and for kids, since this one can't be broken in half by folding it too roughly (though I'm sure someone's going to somehow break it anyway) and it's got no 3d, since that turned out to be harmful to kids' eyes.

Other than that it's just a slightly different, non-3d 3ds.
  4. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Nintendo went "Okay, the other two are making crappy consoles, that must be the trend. Let's make a really cheap, harmless one."
    Double_r111 likes this.
  5. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Did you seriously just challenge the internet.

In seriousness though, I've long ago stopped attempting to understand some of Nintendo's marketing decisions. However, I do believe that making 3DS games available to people with a smaller budget is a good idea- that is, if that's really what they wanted with this.
  6. Aurelia

Aurelia unreliable and clumsy new

3DS Friend Code:
    3325-1925-7295
    I was browsing iFunny while I was at work and seen this there. I totally thought this was fake, but apparently not.

What else would Nintendo think of that is so crappy
  7. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

Re-invent the Gameboy. :tpr:
  8. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Iwata: We need a new handheld. Any suggestions?
    Employee 1: People don't seem to like the 3D very much. Maybe we should get rid of that. We can call it the 2DS!
    Employee 2: And look how complicated it is. We should just throw out that elaborate old design and make a big slate with a screen. Did anyone really use that other screen to begin with?
    Iwata:
    [​IMG]
    Bitoko likes this.
  9. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

It's marketed for kids, and designed so they can't break any hinges like they could on any other DS-class system. I don't think you people need to worry about it.
  10. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

I'm aware of that. It's actually a pretty good idea. It's just fun to rag on Nintendo because it's so ridiculous. Sure it's a good idea, but you have to admit it's kind of out there.
  11. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Hardly worse than calling the Revolution project's console the Wii, though, isn't it?
  12. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Fair enough. It is a pretty ridiculous name. Although I think that can be chalked up to language differences. I just checked Wikipedia, and it seems Wii is a transliteration of the Japanese name pronounced the same way. It's an unfortunate coincidence how it sounds to western ears. It probably sounds a little more natural in Japanese.

The 2DS on the other hand, while a decent idea if you think about it, is totally out of left field.
  13. darklink28

darklink28 Somewhere in Hyrule reg

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    For younger children, I think it's fantastic, as 3D isn't advisable for those under seven years old I believe. Also, cutting the price down to $129.99? For those not interested in the 3D aspect of the 3DS, I think it's a good value. Nintendo knows what they're doing.
  14. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Nintendo isn't as stupid as some people make them out to be, honest. At first glance the 2DS seems pointless but between the kids and the price I agree it's a good idea.
    darklink28 likes this.
  15. darklink28

darklink28 Somewhere in Hyrule reg

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    I also think it's important to keep in mind that just because it's not marketed towards you or me doesn't mean it's a horrible idea. I mean, Nintendo started off terribly with the 3DS and have sold over 30 million units worldwide in 2 1/2 years. They've sold over 150 million Nintendo DS's. Parents will look at the 2DS and buy it for their kids for the price point alone.