Quicksand

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Name: Quicksand

P/W/C Type: Courage

Appearance: The affected ground appears exactly the same.

Description of Function: The user can change a small area of ground, regardless of its composition, from solid to quicksand. The trap would solidify back into its normal state before the target's head is submerged.

Limitations: The trap would always leave the victim's head clear, meaning that this spell alone is not fatal. Only one trap can be in-place at once.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Some basic questions. How big is the trap, roughly? How close do you need to be to apply it--do you need to be touching the ground? If the person could, say, grab a tree branch or something, could they pull themselves out before the spell solidifies? Does the spell solidify on command or automatically when the person makes it toward the bottom of the trap? Can you use this on any material--could I use this in a desert and in a house?

My one true suggestion for this is that it should be visible. Quicksand/sinkholes are canon, but it's always something you can see. Given that this would basically be a killing blow in a lot of circumstances, I think there should be some indicator (like the ground bubbling slightly, maybe).
  3. Quill

mm... large enough for a Goron (the largest race) to cleanly fall through, I suppose. Big enough for one person to be trapped, anyway. When I wrote this, I was thinking "large enough for one person but not much larger."

Oof, didn't think of that. I think that touching the target ground with at least a hand should be required, or else you could just throw this spell under an enemy's feet (which would be a little much).

It'd be like normal quicksand, I guess. I don't know much about it, but I suppose it's possible. Up to the RPer mebe?

No on-command. That would make it too easy to trap a person, I think; even if they're escaping successful the watching caster can just solidify the ground to trap them. Then again, most ground-materials would be easily broken if they were about to successfully escape (ex: dirt), so the "trapping" wouldn't be too effective if on-command. In that way, I guess an on-command option would be fine. I'll leave it up to you, Mr. Mod :P

Yeppers.

I'm down with that. Bubbling or sloshing slightly would be fine; unless you wanted to leave it open ended, like "upon close inspection it is clear that this is treacherous ground most unlike its surrounding brethren" and leave it up the RPer to decide what the effect looks like.
  4. Ribitta

I think you should leave it as "No on-command"

Being buried in dirt even halfway could be a huge pain, best to leave it as an automatic thing. With that in mind...

1/2
  5. Quill

Is this alright? Is the final sentence good, or does it need editing?

`Quicksand
    Original: Quill, Skill - Defense
    [Disable], [Trap]

C5: 20 rupees
    C4: 45 rupees
    C3: 60 rupees
    C2: 80 rupees
    C1: 120 rupees

The caster may touch a small area of ground and cause it to change, regardless of its composition, to quicksand. The trap would solidify back into its normal state before the target's head is submerged. The trap is large enough for a Goron to fall cleanly through. Recasting this spell would supersede the old casting, and each spell will last for only 24 hours. The target area is bubbling slightly, but otherwise it appears largely innocuous.
  6. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Is this supposed to be a Spell or a Skill? You've listed it as skill but its description treats it as a spell.
  7. Quill

Skill just means that it's Courage based. Ribs, you mentioned something off-thread about possibly making this into a magical item, like a Rod or crystal or w/e. Was that specifically geared towards Gust, or would you rather this be something like that as well?

EDIT: If so, how about a small pouch of powder which can be scattered on the ground, one which refills every few minutes?
  8. Quill

I think that this may be fine with leaving it vague. Simply saying that the "user can do x" should be fine; if the character isn't a magic-user or anything, the player can simply say that the user does x through a material medium, such as a pouch of powder or w/e. If something really lends itself to a specific medium, like a canon-inspired spell, that's one thing, but for something like this, I think it may be fine with leaving it simple and open. Thoughts?
  9. Ribitta

Agreed, similar thoughts as Gust actually. I'm fine with this, which means R.D. is up.
  10. Quill

If we're leaving it open to physical mediums, perhaps the first sentence should be altered? It'd be fine with, say, rods or whatever, but other things (like powder, for example) would be out-of-the-question maybe. What do you think?

11. Ribitta

I think it's fine as is, seeing as it's the most open it could be right now. If we want to talk opening physical mediums for courage spells, we should do it on a broader base. That said, this is still your spell so if you want to make it done through a wand or w/e then I guess that's fine. It's not like it changes the balance of power.
  12. Quill

Na, it's fine.

RD?
  13. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

I'm fine with it.