PWC issues

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I have noticed that, for the most part, role-play characters have not been sticking to their PWC attributes. For instance, Victus, a character of CJ's, is a Deku Scrub running around with a giant mace who is in effect smashing in the skulls of Moblins. In the role-play, it seemed like a Deku Scrub pulling off such feats would have a Power of 5. But in actuality, Victus only has a Power of 3. In all other regards, however, CJ is quite a fine role-player, which makes this issue all the more apparent to me. Victus is far from the only example, however, and I've realized no one (not even myself) is taking having a 1 in Wisdom or Courage into real consideration.

I don't think this is all that big of a deal, but because the PWC isn't as involved in the role-play as much as I expected, I would vouch for "Wisdom rupees" to no longer exist as they do now. Their existence is to compensate for something which, as it turns out, apparently does not need compensation.

I would suggest at the very least future Wisdom rupees be halved, as even before coming to this realizing about PWC, I was beginning to feel they were too high. Preferably, I would just abolish them entirely in most races, and make them a Castle-Town-Hylian racial ability in the stead of Magical Proficiency. (Perhaps then Warrior's Training would be Power-treasures only, and some other race could get a Courage equivalent.)
  2. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I agree with you, 100%. I say just get rid of the wisdom rupees all together, 100 to start with is plenty to get a spell or two. And btw, my Goron is 5/1/2 :) So I took a 1 in wisdom.
  3. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    I hadn't realized that I hadn't been following the PWC as closely as I should. Granted, I've mostly been looking at them as a Stat-system, I did put as many points into Power as I comfortably could to explain Victus' more battle-ready style of combat. It doesn't help that we have no basis to judge where stats put our characters skill-wise. What constitutes as "Strong" and "Weak" or "Nimble" and "Slow" or "Intelligent" or "Dumb". I assume those are a simple way to gauge it, a '5' being the best and a '1' being the worst, but it doesn't tell us where exactly we are.

What's to say that a Power of 3 is enough for Victus to weild such a weapon, and his experience over the years would not grant him finer uses of it. Now, if I had taken a Power of 1 and put those other points into Courage, I wouldn't of taken the hammer (well, to be fair, I had made Victus before HC, and merely statted him up based on what kind of character he was, a Cleric with a Big Hammer).

Also, smashing in skulls is an overstatement, he was either cracking or mayhaps breaking a few bones, as would be expected of a large rock smashing into a person's body. All the Moblin's that he fought survived, as Victus does not kill unless the person is pure evil or undead. Come to think of it, I think I would have to crush skulls if I wanted to get a killing blow in, unless I could cause enough internal bleeding to do such.

In the end, perhaps a Wisdom-Rupee reduction may be in order after all, I can just assume as long as the staff has to grade each character, and people are a little more concious with our roleplaying, then we should be able to avoid any Link's running around.

Anyway, that's my 2+ cents.
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well think about it CJ, if 1 is week and 5 is strong, then 3 is mediocre, neither overly strong, but not weak. PLUS you are a deku, which is generally a lot weaker then other races.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Well, is editing the character creation thread in order, then?
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

7. Adaar

Adaar New Member reg

I wish there was a way to still follow PWC better... It helps balance characters in a way. A high wisdom character shouldn't be able to do any strong physical attacks or be extremely nimble. It should set limits to what can be done by said character.

I guess we're smart enough to not inch toward God-modding. o_0
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Oh, I forgot to mention that I edited the character creation thread accordingly.

Also, the racial abilities Magic Proficiency (Northern Hylian), Warrior's Training (Gerudo), and Valiance (Rito) work in a manner similar to wisdom rupees for high Wisdom, Power, and Courage scores, respectively. The main difference is that the amount of rupees received has been halved: instead of 0/20/40/70/100, it's 0/10/20/35/50.