Profession brainstorming help

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Spirit Adept, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Alright...I've been sitting on this for weeks now, I need to figure out how to make this work. I'm not getting anywhere by myself so I'm asking for help from anyone else who's willing to lend it.

I have a character who is intent on becoming a priestess of the element of spirit, and I'm having trouble incorporating the concept of spirit into her profession. I'm defining the element of spirit as the will and drive of things to push pass adversity and continue to grow and flourish. Spirit is what drives a person to keep going against impossible odds, to never surrender to their weakness and give up, and inspires them and others to do great things.

Now the question is, how do I represent that in a profession?

What abilities should spirit priestess have? I figure that as a representative of her element she should probably have the ability to inspire her allies to greatness, but how exactly would she do that? Should she be able to bolster someone's personal attributes like strength or speed? Should she be able to temporarily allow people around her access to abilities they don't have? If so, what abilities would these be then? Is there a totally different approach I should be taking here?

I'm drawing a blank here, so any input, suggestions, ideas, or just general discussion would help me out and I'd very much appreciate it.
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Being able to boost the PWC stats of your allies is a great idea, though I'm not so sure how this would work out, as some do not use PWC stats to judge how truly strong, agile, or smart their character in RP is. I guess it all depends on who you roleplay with. Going along with that, though, I think you can have some interesting effects, like raising the crafting level of a character that is in the same thread as your character. As for sharing abilities, this sounds good to me, and as long as it's kept in check, it should be fine from a roleplaying standard. Such limiters on how abilites can be shared would be like, once you reach a certain level in your profession, you must choose a certain treasure that you posses; this treasure can then be shared to all of your surrounding allies, but only that treasure can be shared with them. You can even have this sort of thing at intervals in your profession: for example, at Level 1, say your character could share the spell Spark with her nearby allies. At level 5, should could share another treasure, and again at level 10. I don't think it would be broken if you were able to share all three with your allies either, as long as it's not horribly abused, I suppose. Another limit might be that the treasure shared cannot be a major treasure, and to use said treasure, the ally must meat its requirements if it has any.

Speaking of shared abilites, it might be interesting if this could also work in reverse; like she could borrow a treasure of an allies for a certain length of time. A limit on this might be that they will not have access to this treasure for as long as your character is using it.

Another ability I'm thinking she could use is "Empathy Healing", where your character would share the damage that an ally took, reducing it to half (or maybe a quarter) for both her and her allobviously this would get more dangerous the more allies she has around, and would not prevent death (which could also probably be shared).