Phrase of Phonetics

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Phrase of Phonetics
    P/W/C Type: C
    Appearance: None, it's merely vocal.
    Description of Function: When the user first obtains this treasure, they may select a phrase containing at least four words. When these words are said, the ability takes effect and the words that follow are more likely to be believed. This works by tricking the target or targets into thinking that the user is a more trustworthy, believable person. Whether this is used to lie to guards, coax someone into accepting your help, or making a merchant seem like he has exemplary wares, this is a great tool for any smooth-talker.
    Limitations: Not capable of actual control, merely persuasion. Can be negated by any Illusion-warding treasures. Can be resisted by the strong willed.
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    I think the basic premise of this treasure is fine, but I do have a couple of qualms.

The first, and most important one, is that I think the limitations should be written more thoroughly. I think the weakness to illusion-warding treasures is fine as is, but the "not capable of actual control" should be illuminated upon. Does this mean "The person under the effect of Phrase of Phonetics (PoP) would not do something that is a liability to their own health"? Or is it more like "The person under the effects of PoP won't take actions that are highly abnormal for their own behavior, but will otherwise try to assist the user of PoP to the best of their abilities."? I think a good baseline for the limitations of this treasure need to be established before we can move on to making this a treasure.

Second thing, and perhaps me nitpicking, is that the name of the treasure feels both unwieldy and not terribly descriptive. Judging just from the title of the treasure, one might think "Oh, this treasure has something to do with speaking... But I have no idea what else." I think a name like "Charmed Words" or maybe something along those lines would better suit this treasure. What do you think?
  3. Tsubori

The ability is more like simply giving the illusion that you're fully trustworthy. So the target(s) wouldn't act any different to you than to a well trusted friend. And yeah, I agree, the name was a bit of an "Off the top of my head" Name.
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

"The target would act like you were a well trusted friend." That's much clearer, thanks. The first post was confusing, but that cleared it up. Remember that you don't need to make your first post all fancy with the wording. It's there so the staff can understand what the treasure's about. Clarity over fancy, ya? Use conversational language if you have to- just get your point across. We can fuss over the actual entry's wording when all's said and done.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the "at least four words" part; it seems unneeded, but there's probably a reason why it's in there. How long can this effect be sustained? Could the magic be active through a whole conversation? Is it just one phrase, and when the spell ends, whatever the person said lingers on? When can the magic be reused again (doesn't need to be a precise number). Just trying to prod thoughts on limits.

We may already have treasures that can inspire artificial trust or implant suggestions (that's not what this does, but it's similar); I'm not sure off the top of my head. I think we do; I'd suggest looking into that before moving forward. Maybe it was a ring? Dunno. If there's not, though, this treasure's premise sounds good.

And yeah, get a new name XD. Charmed Words, Silver Tongue, just something that hints at the treasure's use and sounds simple, lol. c:
  5. Tsubori

The four words are meant so that the magic doesn't take effect whenever someone says it accidentally. For example, Dealy when he gets this will be using the phrase "But wait, there's more!". If it were activated by someone saying "By the way," or "Hold on," It would be too easy to get out.

As for length of time, it's until you stop talking. In a conversation, that'd be your next sentence. In a speech, that could be the whole thing. Sound alright?
  6. Quill

Don't have much time for a full post, so I jotted some things down. Don't poke fun, lol. It's time-efficient : P

- Activated by a preselected phrase of 4+ words
    - Target treats user's words as if spoken by a well-trusted friend
    - Effect lasts until the user stops talking
    - Resistable, negated by illusion-cancelling treasures
    - Query: will the target 'regain their senses' at that point and look back on what the user said during the enchantment with suspicion, or will the target continue to treat whatever the user said after the activating phrase as trustworthy?
  7. Tsubori

They treat what was said at that time as they did during the spell, but any further conversation may incite suspicion.
  8. Quill

Mmhm. And what if someone wanted to change the preselected phrase? Would they be able to do so at their convenience, or would they have to repurchase the treasure? I'm leaning toward the former, but what do you think?
  9. Tsubori

I'd say they have to maybe... meditate on it for a while or something? You wouldn't want them to just change it before everything they say.
  10. Quill

Sounds reasonable. Here's what I got:

- Activated by a preselected phrase of 4+ words
    - Phrase can be changed after some time spent meditating
    - Target treats user's charmed words as if spoken by a well-trusted friend
    - Effect lasts until the user stops talking
    - Resistable, negated by illusion-cancelling treasures
    - After the spell is completed, target still views charmed words as they did during the spell
    + However, if a third party forces the target to re-evaluate the charmed words, the effect may be lost

I feel like this deserves a disclaimer.

- Note that magical coercion or mental manipulation is generally considered illegal in Hyrule, and using magic of this nature (especially in official or economic settings) may land a character in trouble with the law.
  11. Tsubori

Sounds good.
  12. Quill

13. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

I would like to have some sort of clarification on what "some time meditating" would look like, because I feel that it could be interpreted different ways, and it would be a better way to strategize for both a person and their opponent.
  14. Quill

I can see what you mean. A character ducking behind a pillar for a few moments, breathing deeply, and changing his trigger phrase would be going against the intended purpose of this treasure. Clarification on that would be nice- just something vague to imply that this isn't something that can be done on the fly.

Part of the good thing about treasures is that some of the restrictions are left ambiguous. This allows for one single treasure to be used in a variety of different situations without actually going against the written rules for that treasure. Because treasures are meant to be communal, rather than individually tailored to meet a single character's needs, there needs to be a certain amount of flexibility involved in an item's description and restraints.

Because of this, I would advise against putting down an absolute numerical time limit for the meditation process. I'd say to leave the letter vague but the spirit clear- we don't want this being abused by going against the treasure's intended restraint, but at the same time we don't want to unduly restrict RPers by laying down a precise value.
  15. Fcgfyv

Of course, especially since it's meditation, concentration would also factor in the environment and what's happening in it, so a set time would be bad. But hey, as long as the user doesn't go God on the phrase, it has my approval. [2/2]
  16. Fcgfyv

Hey, Tsu! Sorry for such a long wait, stuff needed to be done. Does this look alright to you?

`Charmed Speech
    Original: Tsubori, Skill - Defense/Utility
    [Communication], [Empowerment]

C5: 35
    C4: 50
    C3: 70
    C2: 110
    C1: 190

A skill of magic mixed with persuasion, the user may utter a phrase of words specific and unique to them in order to compel a given target. Should this compulsion override the target's will, they will find themselves altogether more trusting of the user once subject to the spell. Depending on the willpower and mental strength of the target, the extent of this coercion may range anywhere from simple openness to the user all the way to complete obedience. Even after the magic has faded, suggestions and advice given under it may continue to have power unless otherwise interrupted. Because of its deceitful nature, however, this type of magic is generally considered illegal in the lands of Hyrule.