Pet treasures

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Tsubori, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Just a little something I’ve been wondering for when I make a specialized pet for one of my characters is if you can give your pets treasures. A practical use would be say… giving your pet wolf something like helm splitter or spin attack. My more wacky and whimsical example is for Masaro’s possessed pet rock Jimmy to be able to cast spells like arcane bolt or something. (Note: It’s being worked on and explained in how it could do that. The whole question though, is how this process would work, if at all.
  2. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    So, like Treasure augments for your Treasures? In theory, I don't see why not, if you gathered the Treasure for in a quest and specifically applied it to the Pet instead of the Character (so as the Pet can use the Treasure, but the Character can not, and if the Pet isn't around, then the Treasure can't be used).

In reality though, I assume it would be for balance reasons, as going into a fight and being able to have a character and a sub-character in a two-v-one seems unfair, but then that only applies to PvP, and it assumes the Player manages to get enough Treasures for both themselves and their Pet to surpass their opponent anyways.

I'd say, as long as it's logical and approved by the Staff, why not, it would add for good flavor if done right (who wouldn't want to give their pet owl Barnabee a Bag of Bombs?)
  3. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The problem is that a Pet is specifically specified in the profile explanations to not be able to be used for Combat. So you'd either have to settle for non-combat treasures or find a way to bypass that.

For example, I could make Autumn's crippled pet Wolfos a Battle Pet or a Mount, and then give him Jump Strike or so. Having to pay for the Pet to be able to fight should help balance things out a bit, as would perhaps banning Major Treasures from them?

This is a cool idea though, don't get me wrong. I've been meaning to try and make a Battle Pet of sorts sometime, so adding special skills to them would be a logical next step.
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

It probably wouldn't classify as a "pet" anymore, if it could fight or use treasures. There may have to be a whole new classification of Fighting... I dunno, Familiars or something. That way, you don't have to be able to Mount it in order for it to belong.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    That always was silly, Quill. Not attacking you personally, but the mods may want to rephrase the 'if it can do any of these, it instead classifies as a mount.' If Alice were more aggressive and Wolfos not crippled, they could both fight just fine but they're nowhere near big enough for Ni'Ran or Autumn to ride. A Battle Pet Standard Treasure could help though.
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Hyrule Castle: Pokemon Edition.
  7. urnotlikeme

urnotlikeme New Member reg

Yo dawg, I heard you like treasures, so we let your treasures have their own treasures, so you can use your treasure's treasure.
  8. Tsubori

That's the thing, is it wouldnt hurt balance because you have to spend your own rupees on it :3 plus it opens up the opportunity for Pet Battles >:3
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...If a pet or mount is getting its own treasures, at that point I feel like it should be its own character with its own PWC score. This would naturally affect the rupee rewards and other aspects of quests and similar things. Furthermore, the "pet" would not be able to be used in things like Arena Lord-sponsored tournaments (as well it shouldn't be) where it's one character versus another.

The obvious problem with my solution, of course, is how would pets and mounts determine their PWC scores? It wouldn't be that hard to come to an agreement on that, I'd think.
  10. Tsubori

Why do you need to give them stats like that? When I say the character buys it, I assumed tey were using their own stats. The same ones that they used to buy the creature in the first place. If you require people to write up full profiles and stuff for their characters' pets, then people will be hesitant to do it because of all the annoyance surrounding it. I mean... Who seriously wants to have to write out a full profile for a bird?
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Assume PWC 2/2/2 for pets? They're not the 'hero-tier' characters our PCs are.
  12. Tsubori

But at that point it's more trouble than it's worth to get any treasures for them. Anything they could get would cost over 50 rupees and set you back very far, even if realistically, your character would be able to have it for cheaper. Look at it this way: if a technique, the more skilled your character the easier it is to teach the pet because you have a better idea what you're doing. Same with spells. And it could be assumed that it's not your pet going into the store and buying pegasus boots. You're buying/finding them and giving them to the pet. I don't see how it wouldn't be reasonable to just allow players to use their own stats.
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Because, just because Autumn is a C5 dodgetank/crack shot, doesn't mean Wolfos is as well. Besides, not all treasures make sense for a pet. Stuff like [weaponbase] treasures and magic spells could be make to work, but how can a horse logically use a crossbow?

And as a fellow dog owner, I thought you'd know how cruel it is to put boots on your pet's feet >.>
  14. Tsubori

But if they made going on a walk take 30 seconds? :P

Anyway, I'm not saying the cost is indicative of how the pet uses it, I'm saying the cost is indicative of how good the master is at training the pet in that field. Also, it would obviously go case by case in what can and can't use certain treasures.