Payback Punch [Final]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Payback punch

P/W/C Type: P

Appearance: A sort of red energy seems to flow through the strike, the brightness and size dependent on the amount of energy gathered.

Description of Function: The user takes up a defensive stance, provided they’re unarmed, and await enemy attacks. Whenever a strike is successfully blocked, the force of the attack is stored within the user. Upon the next unarmed attack, the force stored in the user, along with their own power, is given in a single hit. Mind you, this does nothing to increase defensive power. If a Goron was about to roll into you and you can’t normally block a goron, you’re about to become mountain roadkill.

Limitations: The release of this strike GREATLY exhausts the user, moreso when a lot of force is gathered. This ability must be used unarmed.

No idea how to word the Energy gaining cap, how would you suggest it? Additionally, would this fit more under Dark Affinity, given the whole vengeance theme?
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Re: Payback Punch

I see this less as vengeance and more as simply returning energy. This concept is a little hard to place in Zelda since Link never uses his fists, barring a couple of unique scenarios, but it is a pretty functional mechanic that one might be able to envision in an actual game.

That said, [1/2] from me
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Re: Payback Punch [1/2]

This would make for a good tank treasure... if only it weren't unarmed only. It restricts it so much- not only does this keep it from most of combat (defensive no-shield stance meets sword) but also from a lot of non-tavern brawl situations. What was your reasoning for making it so?
  4. Tsubori

Mostly because there's actual risk and limits to how much you can block and tank. A guy with a greatsword would be able to block much much more with much less risk, which takes away from it. If you can only dish out however much your body can take, it more definitively sets a cap for the level of damage you can do with this. Plus, I keep trying to make some stuff for unarmed but it's all getting rejected or swapped to general. T_T
  5. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

From what I understand of this treasure, it's not going to be of much use to anyone outside of a fistfight, because even with its damage return, getting hit with something like a sword or an axe is going to be quite fatal. That's intentional, I assume?
  6. Tsubori

Pretty much. Also, where do gauntlets and such fall?
  7. Quill

Well, it says "unarmed." In my opinion, gauntlets don't count as unarmed. Even though they're fitted to someone's lower arm and hand, they're still not bare flesh. Personally, I think 'unarmed' doesn't count as anything but 'nothing but skin.' However, another staffer may feel differently.
  8. Tsubori

Well, wearing leather gloves or something would probably just count as unarmed, because many characters have gloves and it'd be annoying to have to take them off between attacks.
  9. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Gauntlets are sort of a gray area but I'm willing to let it slide. Coverage of gauntlets depends on the make; not every gauntlet or glove is armored, and not every armored gauntlet covers the entire fist in metal. Indeed, the most common usage of gauntlets seen in Zelda exposed half the fingers and only covered the back of the hand and forearm in metal. On its own, a metal gauntlet isn't going to add too much to a punch, certainly not at the same level as, say, weighted knuckles, which are designed to add more force behind a swing due to their weight.
  10. Quill

[2/2]
  11. Quill

Re: Payback Punch [2/2]

How's this?

12. Tsubori

Since I doubt the "No." trick would work again, I'll just say yes :P
  13. Quill