Obscure/Low rated games you love

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meanea, Sep 23, 2013.

1. meanea

meanea New Member reg

There are ALWAYS games that we have as kids, that we find out are considered "bad" later on. It's very confusing when you first find out that NO ONE liked one of your favorite games. What are some of your favorite games that people say are "bad"?

Mine:

Bomberman Hero (PLAY IT)
    Bart Vs. The Space Mutants
    Bart Vs. The World
    Virtual Bart
    Deadly Premonition (PLAY IT)
  2. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Yugioh Falsebound Kingdom was a game I loved when I was young. It's apparently considered really bad, but I still enjoy it personally. Even now I occasionally play it (Haven't recently, but I would still enjoy it if I did and I last played through just a couple years ago). I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I may either edit this post or make a new one if I do later on.
  3. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

It's only like a year old, but 'Spec Ops: The line' is definitely in my top 5 and didn't really get any advertisement on release. It starts off like just about any other 3rd person shooter; you and two other US soldier killing insurgents in a middle-eastern setting (Here, Dubai); but quickly forces the player to make drastic and morally ambiguous choices throughout, and throws real-life moral horrors at the player and forces them to watch, horrors that most media refuse to even acknowledge exist.

One word of warning do NOT spoil the endings for yourself, not only will you ruin most of the game for you, the ending doesn't have nearly as much weight without the context the rest of the game (including the gameplay itself) provides.

Other than that, 'Condemned: Criminal Origins' is amazing, (Not 'Bloodshot' that one was worse than god-awful) a true psychological horror (Not like Spec:Ops' Moral discomfort/horror, but in the more classic sense), one of the few horror games I've seen in which combat works well without spoiling the atmosphere. The second-last level was really well done and truly terrifying, the singular best in the horror genre (and one of the best overall) I've ever seen.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

There was a game for the GCN/Xbox/PS2 called Conflict Desert Storm that was a blast to play with 3 other people. It was long, difficult, and required a lot of cooperation between you and your buddies, but it was super rewarding. Despite getting atrocious ratings, the game was immensely fun!
  5. meanea

meanea New Member reg

Spec Ops has finally been getting the recognition it deserves, from what I've seen! It looks fantastic.
  6. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom. It was so frustrating and confusing, and I ditched it once I realized how low it was rated. :tpr:
  7. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Oh boy obscure games nobody knows :tpr:

Baroque is probably the king of this, partly due to being an insanely hard roguelike, partly due to the absolutely confusing story, which only becomes clear after a few playthroughs and even then stays really vague. It got pretty bad ratings for both of those, but it's still totally awesome to play and I love the designs of the characters and monsters.
  8. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

Omg, Baroque.

I died about 5-10 times, then went through the whole tower without dying and all of a sudden stuff was happening that didn't match up. :tpr:
  9. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

The great thing is that you have to die to advance the plot, there's just no hint at all when you're supposed to die. :haa:
  10. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Ahhh, and who could forget dwarf fortress? The game in which zombie sperm-whales, Crab titans made of ash and more mundane dangers like man-eating carp and vast goblin invasions are everyday occurrences; Also, be careful how you place traps, once a goblin got hit by one, lost his arm and that arm got flung, set off six more traps and finally flew down a flight of stairs and knocked out one of my militiamen.

WARFARE! :tpr:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  11. AnimeLuxray25

AnimeLuxray25 Member new

It's time I start posting on the forums again. (:

I have to say "ICO." It's really overshadowed by it's big brother Shadow of the Colossus.
  12. darklink28

darklink28 Somewhere in Hyrule reg

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    Xenosaga 2. A lot of people didn't like it, but I actually liked the combat. On a whole the series was looked down upon, but I really really loved it. Great games.