Noelle, The Accursed Kokiri

Discussion in 'Accepted Characters' started by SenpaiPancake, Oct 19, 2015.

1. SenpaiPancake

SenpaiPancake Shhh! I'm charging my laser... reg

Name: Noelle

Race: Kokiri

Place of Origin: Kokiri Forest

PWC: 1/2/5

Height: 4’ 6”

Weight: 83 lbs

Treasures and Rupees:

0 Rupees

Traits:
    Eternal Youth – Innate
    Valiance – Racial
    Fairy Companion – Racial
    Language of Fauna – Racial
    Dark Affinity – Offensive – 50r
    Unusual Character (Fairy Companion) – 20r

Technique:
    Shadow Invisibility – Defensive – 20r
    Tendrils of Darkness – Defensive – 20r

Utility:
    Smoke Seed Supply – Organic – 20r

Spell:
    Puppeteer – Utility – 10r

Equipment: Favoring subtlety and stealth over direct confrontation, Noelle carries a single, simple weapon: a gnarled, oaken branch, originating from the depths of Kokiri Forest where she once lived. Time and weather have hardened the black wood, affording Noelle a makeshift staff when needed. Standing at equal height to the girl, deep gouges mar the surface of the branch, relics of countless conflicts long forgotten.

Pet: N/A

Appearance: Tainted by her blackened soul, Noelle’s appearance is often regarded as grotesque and horrifying. Her “skin,” if one could call it such, is of a bark-like quality, not so unlike that of a Deku. Unlike the wooden race however, her bark skin appears to exist in a perpetual state of rot, sickly gray and marred by burrows and holes home to an uncountable host of insects and other, less savory, specimen. From her scalp grows a mix of putrid leaves and vines, a failed attempt by her body to replicate “normal” hair. Cold and dead, her black eyes sit unblinking upon her face, devoid of any notable eyelids, while beneath them a twisted knob of wooden flesh juts from her flat face. Where her mouth would be, a crooked crack stretches, flanked on either side by two mossy “lips.” While most would suspect such a creature to be stiff and stricken, Noelle moves with a deceptive speed and grace. Combined with her relatively small stature and shadow powers, Noelle is as slippery as they come.

Tattered and torn, Noelle’s Kokiri tunic has been kept more out of habit than practicality. The once-vibrant fabric has become a muddled mess of brown and faded green, stained by decades of dirt and blood, every edge a frayed, ragged mess threatening to unravel at a moment’s notice. Stitched to the neck of the tunic is a ragtag hood, sewn together from bits of cloth scavenged over the years. Unburdened by normal feet, Noelle opts to go barefoot, her wooden soles more than a match for most terrain.

Personality: Tormented, paranoid, and erratic, Noelle is as much a product of her environment as she is of her misfortune of birth. Persecuted mercilessly, and misunderstood greatly, by her peers, distrust has become as natural an action to her as breathing. Accordingly, the concepts of compassion and loyalty are as alien to Noelle as her appearance is to others. Noelle rarely, if ever, warms up to those that do manage to look past her horrific visage, preferring to keep them at best at an arm’s length.

As if this was not enough, Noelle is equally plagued by her own dark thoughts, her mind thoroughly poisoned by Umber over the long decades they have spent together. Her only friend, yet foulest enemy, Noelle’s Fairy Companion has been instrumental in her rampant paranoia. Dark whispers of suspicion and fear flow endlessly from Umber to Noelle, while long forgotten memories of her youth are been twisted and corrupted, leaving her to believe her curse to be one of self-infliction.

Unsurprisingly, Noelle knows nothing of the Goddesses, and if she were to learn of their existence, it is safe to say she would not hold them in high regard, and may possibly even despise them for her accursed life.

Background:

Countless generation ago, long before the founding of Kakariko Village, or the invasion of Ganon, an unusual Kokiri was born in the Forest. Unlike the others before her however, a taint had seeped into this Kokiri’s vessel upon its birth, corrupting the resultant soul. Aghast, the Deku Tree lamented its newest child, a creature neither quite Kokiri, nor Korok. Yet knowing the creature’s probable fate, in that instant the Deku Tree could not bring itself to smite the girl, merciful as it would be. Instead, he sent her forth, praying the other children could find it in themselves to show her the same compassion.

How wrong he was.

For the two decades following her birth, they mocked her mercilessly. For two decades, they beat her with their words almost as much as they did with their sticks. And after two decades, they had chased her so deep into the forest, she knew naught the way home. And for the first time in two decades, the world was truly quiet, if only for a moment.

“Noelle, my dear, Noelle we mustn’t stay here no-no-no, not safe no…” The silence was broken by her companion, Umber. The dancing speck of brownish light danced before her face, zipping back and forth with such vigor it was making the girl nauseous.
    “Quick-quick, go-go,” he hissed, stopping suddenly. “Or go back. Go back, make them pay, make them all pay, yes-yes, make them pay we will…”
    “No.” Her suddenness belied her shaking legs. “We’re not going back. Not now, not ever.” Noelle looked away from the Fairy, her eyes glistening in the soft forest light. She was free of them, finally. Nothing could make her return to that hell.
    “That way then, go-go quick now, quick now before they find us. They’re searching for us Noelle, can’t you hear them? ‘Find her, kill her!’ I can hear them, can’t you?” Umber began to move erratically again, as if to add urgency to his words. A sickening fear washed over the girl. Darting into the underbrush, Noelle strained her ears, hoping to catch the sound of her pursuers.
    “Where are they Umber? I can’t hear them!” she cried out, her voice cracking.
    “They’re everywhere, everywhere. Run!”

And so, the edge of the Forest became their home, far from the taunts and jeers of the other Kokiri. Here countless years passed, and with them, so too did Noelle’s memories. Unbeknownst to her, Umber quickly took to spinning tales of atrocities that had never befallen them to replace her fuzzy recollections, a trend that would have continued on for all time if it were not for Ganon’s invasion. She watched as strange and terrifying creatures attempted to pierce the Forest, only to be beaten back by the combined effort of The Deku Tree’s magic and the Scrubs she had long avoided. Before long, the monstrous beings retreated, and began heading North. Something deep inside Noelle compelled her to follow, hoping perhaps she could find a home among creatures not so unlike herself.

Noelle began stalking Ganon’s Army, hiding herself within the shadows, always keeping her presence a secret. Umber pleaded, scolded, and threatened the girl, but nothing could be done to dissuade her desire. Alas, it did not take long for Noelle to learn of the brutish, violent ways of the creatures. Different in form, yet identical in temperament to the Kokiri, Noelle’s heart broke. She had no place here, just as she had no place back home.
    “I told you so.” Umber cooed. “We’re alone Noelle. So, so very alone. You and me.” He landed softly on her head. “Learn your lesson, my dear. Umber knows best, yes he does, yes he does. You must always listen to Umber.” Throat clenched, Noelle nodded softly, turning her gaze from the camp. Perhaps, there was somewhere they would be safe, somewhere no one could find them, she thought.

Perhaps, one day they would find it.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Being 'partially Korok' is a bit iffy, but I'll allow it under Dark Affinity so long as it's just a cosmetic difference. New characters aren't supposed to be aged over 100, but you never explicitly said she was, so that'll slide for now.

A p p r o v e d.
  3. SenpaiPancake

SenpaiPancake Shhh! I'm charging my laser... reg

Spoke with Willow, switching Navigation with Language of Fauna racial before doing anything with her. Note to self, do not post sheets so late.