New spell?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Quill, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Hey, I was looking for some Healing/Protection spells in the Library for my character, but there weren't that many. I was hoping I could propose an addition to the Library.

My Fields and Wisdom costs are probably way off. I wasn't sure how to properly designate this spell into its proper fields, but I think I did okay. As for my Wisdom Costs... well, I just started at 100 and worked my way down. If you think that the spell shouldn't be accessible to those under W3 or something similar, just let me know. I put the Courage prerequisite in because I reasoned that one would need Courage in order to sacrifice oneself for another. And, obviously, if this needs corrections/total erasing/whatever, please let me know so I can edit/delete this. Thanks! ^_^

Designation: Standard
    Name: Sacrifice
    Fields/Metafields: [Original, Spell, Defense, Healing, Magical]
    Description: The User magically transfers any damage or injury that the Target receives into him/herself.
    W5: 20
    W4: 25
    W3: 35
    W2: 50
    W1: 100
    Prerequisite: A Courage score of at least 2.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

No one ever gets the fields right consistently, so don't worry about that. The rupee costs seem alright, depending exactly how the spell works...

What concerns me, however, is the description. It doesn't describe how this spell works in enough detail. Is the spell cast on a single individual, and remains in place for a certain amount of time? If so, for how long? Can the same spell be cast on several individuals simultaneously? Does the target still flinch from attacks at all? Can the spell be cast so quickly that an enemy can fire an arrow at a target and have it not damage the target by the time the arrow reaches the target? How far away can the target be when the spell is initially cast? Your description should leave no reasonable questions unanswered, nor should it allow exploitation of the treasure itself to make it overpowered.
  3. Quill

Right-o. I should have seen that coming, sorry.

Single target spell. It stays up for one hit, then must be re-cast.

It can be re-cast again and again until the user loses consciousness. However, the target can only have Sacrifice cast on him by ONE person every 24 hours, to prevent misuse. This also goes with the User casting Sacrifice multiple times on different people. The in-game explanation for this is that the spell forms a kind of bond between the user and the target, through which the attack is funneled. Although the bond won't do anything after one hit, it is still present, almost as a ghost image, and the creation of a new bond would interfere with the old one, thus causing massive distress and (literal) mental/emotional dis-tract-ion within the target. The out-of-game reason for this is that the spell could be spammed by ten or so wizards on a single warrior, causing said warrior to be invincible.

The spell remains after casting for as long as the User can maintain it; if the concentration of the user is broken, then the bond fades into the afore-mentioned 'ghost image.'

The target might flinch from SEEING the attack come, but the target will not receive the attack him/herself. This is most easily explainable in magical attacks, as the spell just seems to 'fade' into the target without affect, only to have hit the user. Physical projectiles would seem to 'disappear' into the target, only to be sighed within the User instead. Physical strikes, such as a sword blow, would go through the target like butter/putty, slicing through, yet leaving no affect. As you might guess, the user would have a huge sword gash. Armor is still taken into effect with this spell, and only attacks that have actually reached the user's flesh would be transferred through the bond.

The distance limit on this spell is a direct line of sight with the target. If the user can't plainly see the target, then the bond cannot take effect. However, it is not necessary to see the threat to cast this spell.

The spell takes a few seconds to place, as a link/bond must be established between two beings. However, two factors lessen the length of the spell. The greater the user knows the target and the greater the number of times that the bond has been established both allow a faster casting of the spell. So it is highly unlikely that the user will be able to set up a bond between the target while an arrow is flying. However, it is completely possible to set it up if, say, the user sees the bowman ready the arrow at the target.

I hope this is better! ^_^
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Well, that does certainly provide more detail... perhaps too much. Yet, the way you word it, I'm not entirely sure how it functions.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the following points:
    - The user can cast the spell Sacrifice as often as they desire, but the effect of Sacrifice can only be active on one target at a time.
    - The user can cast Sacrifice on any single individual they can see, but once the effect is in place, it will last until either the target is struck or the user casts the spell again.
    - The effect of Sacrifice only lasts for one hit.
    - The user can only cast Sacrifice on the same target once per day... and thus can only absorb one of their hits per day.
    - Several users of Sacrifice can simultaneously cast the spell on one target (who likely has no apparent means of resisting the spell), but doing so by even two casters causes the target extreme distress and inflicts mind-breaking insanity.

If all of these points are correct, then quite frankly this spell is underpowered as a defensive spell and perhaps overpowered as an offensive one.

I'm also quite confused about one thing. You reference a "bond" and it becoming a "ghost-image." Is the effect of this spell visible in any way? You haven't mentioned any visible effects, so I've been assuming not.
  5. Quill

Wow, I'm really bad at this, sorry. -_- I'll try to clear it up as best I can. I put a scenario at the end, which I hope will tie everything together nicely.

The user can cast Sacrifice as often as they desire, but only on ONE target. A 24-hour lapse must go by before being able to cast the spell on another target.

The user can cast Sacrifice on any single individual they can see, but the spell only lasts as long as the user maintains concentration (sight is still necessary) or until the target is struck.

Yes. After that, it must be re-cast.

The user can cast Sacrifice on only ONE user per every 24 hours. The user can, however, cast that spell on that one person in those 24 hours indefinitely.

You're right; as it stands, it's an overpowered offensive spell. Here's my edit: If two users cast Sacrifice on an individual, then only one Sacrifice "bond" can take. Similarly, if one user cast Sacrifice on a target, then cast it on another target, the first bond between target 1 and user 1 would prevent the bond between user 1 and target 2 from taking.

No, it's not visible. The "bond" is just how I referred to the connection that the spell creates between the user and the target for the spell to work. The "ghost-image" is the lingering after-effects of the spell, the thing that prevents another user from casting the spell on the same target or from the first user casting the spell again on a different target. The lingering effects of the spell, while not actually doing anything, prevent another bond from taking effect until a whole 24 hours have gone by.

If I may, I'll type out a scenario.

Target 1 gets attacked. User 1 casts Sacrifice. Target 1 receives no damage. User 1 takes damage.

Target 2 gets attacked. User 1 casts Sacrifice to no effect. Target 2 receives damage.

Target 1 gets attacked. User 2 casts Sacrifice to no effect. Target 1 receives damage.

I hope this helps! Sorry for all the confusion!
  6. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Sense is made. Then yes, that spell spell is reasonably powered for the rupee costs given. I'll add it to the library when you finish this quest and earn it. I will be tweaking the description of the spell and the fields, however.
  7. Quill

Alright! ^_^ Yeah, condensing is needed... a lot... -__-;

I am, however, slightly concerned about one point you made earlier that I didn't address. "This spell is underpowered as a defense spell." Did I fix that? How is it underpowered?

Thanks a lot,
    ~Quill
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Not really, you fixed it. It was underpowered when I thought the user could only target the same individual once per day.
  9. Quill

Alright! Thank you very much for your time, Guy. I'd better go and edit my post, saying that yes- I'm getting Sacrifice as my reward for the Quest. Oooh, I'm so excited!!!! ^_^
  10. Quill

Guy, is this basically the same thing as the Cane of Byrna? I don't want to copy previous treasures, and if they're the same thing then I'll just get it for my character instead of trying to pass a new, non-canonical spell.
  11. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Even if two treasures have similar, or virtually the same effect, it is still okay to create that treasure as your treasure may have some unique flavor, or for some reason might fit your character better than the currently existing treasure.
  12. Guy

Guy Admin admin

This is true. Heck, even Fire, Fire Rod, and Din's Burst are almost the same thing.

To answer the question, however, the basic effect is nearly identical between the two treasures. The primary difference is that yours is a spell, whereas the cane is a physical item imbued with magic.