Multi-shot

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Multi-shot

P/W/C Type: Courage

Appearance: A normal Archery shot aside from the additional four arrows that appear after firing. These arrows are at a slightly different trajectory, going in a cone shape.

Description of Function: Upon focussing their energy into their bow, the user makes a shot as normal, but the moment they fire, four additional arrows are fired at 10, 5, -5 and -10 degree angles. They otherwise act the same as a standard arrow. This ability takes about a second or two to set up and can’t be used again for about two minutes.

Limitations: Requires a bow or crossbow. Two second charge time, two minute cooldown time.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

My thoughts. I ramble a bit, so be warned.

This is a good idea: magically summoning additional arrows when firing a bow. However, I remember once you suggested buying additional effects for treasures- an idea I've been using in the Summon: X lineup. I'm wondering if that could be applied here, making a fixed "20 rupees per arrow" capping at 5 summoned total, instead of a blank "buying this gives you five arrows."

The bit about angles is a little too specific; saying that they appear in a cone shape is enough. Although, I think even that should be left out to let the RPer choose his own configuration. "These arrows can be set at additional trajectories" or something similar.

For limitation, opening it up to "ranged weapon" should do fine. Since this only summons arrows, you don't have to worry about this being applied to throwing knives or w/e; unless you'd like to open it up to all ranged weapons, which would be an interesting idea to play around with.

Remembering about past treasures makes me wonder if this shouldn't have a "any Enchantment spell applied to the 'main' arrow may be instantly applied to the others."

^ I toyed around with that, but then I realized that if it were natural skill there wouldn't need to be a treasure. This is about conjuration, not Legolas-ing.

Sorry to wall-of-text you, but ya. I like this, and I can see it being desirable to any archer worth his rupees.
  3. Tsubori

Oh god that mental image. :P

Death dealer throws a single card, so Kasumi's ready for it, the moment it leaves his hand though, it turns into six cards. Ohgodscary.

I do like the idea though. I'm not sure you mean for you to be able to summon five extras, giving six total. That aside, you're right about the dispersion. So, for the ranged attacks, where do we limit that? For example, we don't want someone hucking five claymores at people. And what of spells? For example, would this spell be able to make a shotgun-like blast of fireballs? That'd be pretty neat, but we may be getting off message with that :P
  4. Quill

Maybe that was a typo. Maxes at "original + four summoned," anyway. If this is opened up, it would probably be to "standard, common-tier ranged weapons only." That would eliminate the serious stuff, such as fireballs and bombs, and most people don't count claymores as 'standard ranged weapons.' :tpr:

Also, just to make sure, additional ranged weapons could only be summoned / released at the moment the original projectile is fired, right?

If you could please repost this treasure's fields, I think we're about ready for grading.
  5. Tsubori

Yeah, the projectiles are all fire simultaneously. But how would this work with projectiles like rocks? Or as I should say, more or less improvised projectiles. If I'm chucking a small rock at someone, can I make it a five shot stone blast? And what about in conjuncture with things like... say... enchantments?

Name: Multi-shot

P/W/C Type: Courage

Appearance: A normal ranged attack aside from the additional four projectiles that appear after firing. These projectiles can vary in trajectory, but obviously only to a certain degree.

Description of Function: Upon focussing their energy into their projectile, the user makes a shot as normal, but the moment they fire, four additional projectiles are fired. They otherwise act the same as the original weapon. This ability takes about a second or two to set up and can’t be used again for about two minutes.

Limitations: Requires a common tier ranged weapon. Two second charge time, two minute cooldown time.
  6. Quill

I guess that's a silent "no" on the "pay 10r for each arrow," then :tpr:

Enchantments should be able to be applied instantly to any of the summoned projectiles if one is applied to the original projectile, I think.

imo, if it falls under "common-tier ranged weapon," this skill would affect it.

[1/2]
  7. Tsubori

Well... A specific example I just thought of, what about Snap trap? Would snapping detonate them all?
  8. Quill

If the projectile would count as a "common-tier ranged weapon," which would be up to your interpretation (within reason), and if an [Enchantment] spell was applied to the original projectile, it would be applied to its duplicates. Snap Trap is an [Enchantment] spell atm, so yes; it would apply.

Unless another staffer feels that only the original should have the [Enchantment] magic, anyway.
  9. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

I'm not approving this. While an okay idea, this is a mechanic that only works in games. The original mechanic from the start of this thread is quite literally ripped from Diablo 2--that kind of mechanic only really works in top-down games like Diablo. In a third-person narrative perspective such as a roleplay, this just doesn't really work; it's too complicated to really be described in a roleplay in a way it doesn't sound awkward and unwieldy.

Normally it's a good idea. But as it stands we're just not using the right medium for it's use.
  10. Tsubori

As quill often does when illustrating a point, a la Flash bombs, I'll do an example of how easily it could work.

---

Kasumi had the Death Dealer cornered, after a long, difficult fight. He was tired, but so was she. The evil Zora raised a hand, holding a single bladed card. "Well now, it appears you have the upper hand... But how about we play a game?" little did Kasumi know that Dale had enchanted the card with his notorious snap trap.

"What are we talking, 52 pick-up?" she said, her aquarang primed. Kasumi knew she could take one out of the air if he threw it, but he merely chuckled.

"No, no, no, my dear woman. More like fifty two CUT-up!" he said, flicking his wrist forward, throwing the card. Unfortunately for our Zora heroine, four more cards than expected soared towards her! She leapt to the side, but he had her well covered, two of the extra cards being embedded into her arm. Them with that dreaded snap, the card exploded, tossing Kasumi to the ground.

---

EDIT

Additionally, I'd appreciate not being accused of ripping a treasure from a game I've never played.
  11. Quill

The original submission of this treasure was a mechanic that would not work in an RP. What this treasure has worked up to is almost identical to Skyward Sword's Scattershot. However, Scattershot being applied to anything but the low-level slingshot would be broken. Imagine having five arrows cluster-shot at you at once. I'm afraid this would be either too powerful or too mechanical to work.