Motionless [Utility Trait]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Eternis, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

A trait similar to Magic Power, this trait focuses on increasing the user's ability to cast spells in unusual situations; in particular, situations in which the somatic components of the spell are impossible or difficult to pull off.

For example, the Elemental Control spell set requires the user to move their hands to direct the object. With this trait, a user could simply focus on the section of their element to control and control it, under perhaps stricter versions of the usual laws, as they will.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Magic Power affects very specific spells, and each spell that is affected says so on its page.

Many treasures that affect objects or other entities use 'touch' or requiring certain motions as a balancing mechanism. As powerful as Life is, it requires the user to actually touch the entity to be healed, giving it some limitations in combat. If the caster need only look at the target, well, what is already one of the top 1% of treasures just became significantly more powerful.

I could list other reasons, as well, but I think you get what I'm saying. Any treasure which affects a wide and vague variety of existing treasures will likely be turned down, especially when its description is this vague. Sorry, but I don't think this could be added in any form--except as an augment to existing treasures on a case-by-case basis.
  3. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Oh yes I completely agree. This would need heavy fleshing out before it comes to anywhere near workable, and I intende-

.... XD I forgot to add the 'needs further oversight' or something to that effect. Every single statement made in that post, guy, is completely accurate, and I had those in mind while thinking of the trait. I am simply too tired to think them through carefully enough to transform it into a workable treasure myself right now.

TLDR at the bottom.

That said;
    Motionless would NOT negate any physical contact requirements, or distance requirements. Life would still have to be cast via touch (making this trait useless for it), and, for example Needle Storm would be unable to benefit as part of the magic is in the link between the sleight of hand trick of drawing a needle from one's sleeve and the flicking being just a magical version of hat, rendering the trait worthless for the spell.
    The ways this trait is intended to help are by, for example, allowing a shackled water control user to draw water up into the shackles, then freeze it to break open the lock, or a pulse user being able to throw out a directional pulse while being physically restrained and thus unable to point, or a user of Winged Flight being able to case spells that would normally require the use of their hands and strong arm movements in mid-air.

I understand that the initial post provided some confusion; that's on me and my brain.
    Also further note;
    Perhaps there are two levels; one minimises the somatic component, so an Elemental Controller would just have to wiggle their fingers, or a pulser would have to nod, or Winged Flyers using their feet instead, and the other entirely removes it (but not any distance limits or requirements for physical contact).

Additionally, techniques in which wide movements are inherent parts of the technique/spell would be ridiculous to have with this, so almost all WEAPONBASE treasures would definitively not have this.

TLDR this is just a basic concept, and was intended to be a lot closer to Magic Proficiency than could be inferred by the opening post. I'd be happy to go further into detail before this sees the metaphorical light of day provided by entrance into the library.