Modifier Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion Threads' started by Blonde Panther, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Modifier Suggestion Thread

You have undoubtedly noticed that our Weapon System is a little lacking in modifiers in some areas, especially Magic and Staves. The implication is that the mod team ran out of ideas- and the implication is true. This thread is where you, the RPer, comes in.

If you have any ideas for modifiers, post them here. Of course, due to the nature of our weapon system we can't implement all modifiers, but we will respond to every suggestion in here provided you adhere to the form:

Code:
    [b]Name:
    Applicable weapon types:
    Suggested weapon rank:
    Description:[/b]
    The suggested weapon rank does not have to be the same for all weapon types that the modifier can be applied to.

The Ylisse team reserves the right to modify the information in all fields before implementing the modifier.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Might as well try, as no one else has stepped up yet... even if I have no idea what I'm doing and my suggestions quite possibly suck.

Name: Spellsilver
    Applicable weapon types: Axes, Swords, Lances
    Suggested weapon rank: B
    Description: The weapon is made of a rare ore that, while no more durable or sharp than ordinary iron, has a peculiar aura that can bolster a friendly enchantment or soften the sting of an enemy spell.

Name: Broadhead
    Applicable weapon types: Bows
    Suggested weapon rank: E
    Description: The arrows have sharp, hardened blades in lieu of a regular arrowhead, and deal more damage (and inflict worse wounds) on impact. As a result, though, they are heavier and less precise than a thinner-headed arrow.

Name: Disturb
    Applicable weapon types: Magic (Dark Only)
    Suggested weapon rank: C
    Description: The spell has a more malicious aura than usual, and can engender fear in the caster's enemies more easily than another spell of its caliber.

Name: Derange
    Applicable weapon types: Magic (Dark Only, require Disturb)
    Suggested weapon rank: A
    Description: The spell has such an unnatural presence that its victims feel noticeable mental strain while under its effects; this can range from unease, to gibbering insanity depending on the strength and intent of the wielder and the target.

Name: Compound
    Applicable weapon types: Magic (Anima Only)
    Description: The spell is designed so that its caster can use multiple elements to achieve an effect, such as bending thunder and wind to make a small storm, or using fire and earth to create lava.

Name: Quick-draw
    Applicable weapon types: Staves
    Suggested weapon rank: D
    Description: The staff is made to be more easily carried than most, and can be taken out more quickly.

Name: Empathic
    Applicable weapon types: Staves
    Description: The staff seems to have a mind of its own, and can warn its wielder of the peril of allies or approaching danger somehow, such as a gem at the top of the staff glowing.
  3. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Name:Spiked
    Applicable weapon types:Staves (Requires Fighting Fit)
    Description:The lower half of the staff is outfitted with tiny spikes, allowing the wielder to do even more damage to enemies when used as a bludgeon.

I wasn't sure whether C or A would fit this better when I made it, so if it's chosen feel free to go with whichever one you think fits better.
  4. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

All suggestions in the topic have been noted, will confer with BP as soon as possible to see about making them official. Based on first impressions, I think all of these should pass, save for Compound and Spiked.

Compound describes something you should already be able to do without a modifier, in my opinion. We don't really have strict elemental categories for Anima magic in Ylisse, so you could easily make an ice/lava/storm mage with no problems. You could also use the D rank modifier Complex if you want combining the two elements to be a key part of the spell.

Spiked clashes with Ylisse's policy of not dictating a weapon's physical appearance with modifiers, to encourage maximum creativity. While there are admittedly some exceptions (Chained Axes, Barbed Bows), Spiked overlaps with Fighting Fit. If you wanted to have a staff with spikes, you could simply use the Fighting Fit modifier to create one. We don't want a player to create a staff with spikes, only to find out he/she can't because that's a separate modifier.

Thank you for the suggestions, your contributions to Ylisse's weapon system are appreciated. I will post as soon as I can with details regarding which mods have passed and any changes the mod team has made.
  5. Darth_Slaverus

After review, the mod team has decided to pass all of the modifiers except the ones I mentioned in the above post (Compound and Spiked). The only one we wish to modify is Quick Draw, which we feel would work better as:

Name: Quick-draw
    Applicable weapon types: Swords, Axes, Lances, Bows, Staves
    Description: Whether through magic or design, the weapon jumps into the wielder's hands when they reach for it, allowing it to be drawn in an instant.

If this is acceptable to you, we will add it to the list of modifiers immediately.
  6. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Seems legit to me, so... go for it.

Thanks for the quick response, guys.
  7. Darth_Slaverus

Done. All approved modifiers have been added to the weapon list.
  8. Velyoukai

Velyoukai Member new

http://forums.hyrulecastle.org/index.php?threads/weapon-system-list.1018/
    ^Thread with old version that this seeks to replace. Use for comparisons.

Magic
    : Magic is the power of the world of Ylisse, tangible and immaterial, shaped into spells that defy the laws of convention and can summon into existence various strange and mystical effects depending on the will of the caster. It exists outside of any weapon triangle and the capabilities of the power its users wield are more varied than those of any other weapon type.

Dark Magic is a very rare branch of magic practiced exclusively by the Dark Mages of Plegia. It is more destructive and ancient than the Anima magic practiced elsewhere, but according to rumors it is more dangerous than Anima, as well. There exists a rumor that a connection to the Fell Dragon, Grima, is required for the practice of Dark magic, but some view that as simply a means to keep the magic within the ranks of the Grimleal.

Modifiers that state "Anima-Locked" are locked exclusively to spells of the Anima school, used by classes with Anima as a magic type. The same goes for "Dark-Locked" modifiers, which can only be used by those who wield Dark magic, and on Dark spells.

E-rank Modifiers (open)
    At E-rank, all spells have their basic form and function, with Anima spells stemming from bases: Fire, Water, Wind, Lightning and Earth, and Dark spells using the mysterious Darkness attributed to Grima, the Fell Dragon. In addition, any one of these modifiers can be taken:
    • Charged: Charged spells are extremely simple; they can be overfilled with magic, causing them to unleash stronger than normal effects. Due to their volatile nature, however, they can rarely do more than be charged and sent at the target.
    • Corrode: The spell eats away at whatever it comes into contact with, whittling at wood and tearing into metal and flesh.
    • Delay: The potential for a delayed effect or duration is empowered in the mage's spell. Some spell effects can last for longer, while others can be delayed for better timing.
    • Residue (Anima-Locked): Instead of spells dissipating after being triggered, they break down into their magical base. Spikes of earth crumble to dust, while fireballs turn to ash and water pools where it lands.
    • Malady (Dark-Locked): The darkness composing the mage's spells leaves behind a weak, but malicious debilitation that saps at the target's stamina and magic.
    D-rank Upgrades (open)

• Potency - The raw power and reserves of the mage themself are vastly improved, allowing for a greater depth of possible spells and longer duration for spell effects and casting stamina in general.
    • Complexity - The mage's control is uplifted to an even finer level, unlocking more complex abilities and tricks for their magic. More Complex spells are often able to have stages, or levels to their effects, such as a whip of fire being summoned as a serpentine dragon of flames crashing into the target, or a bursting sound bubble being fine tuned for a specific frequency in order to achieve different results with the same spell.
    C-rank Modifiers (open)

• Area-Affecting: Whereas most spells are capable of affecting a small area from their center, Area-Affecting spells have a much greater radius of effect. Fire spells that once would hit the center of a small group would now be a small wave of fiery orbs crashing into each target.
    • Inversed: Inversed spells work opposite the standard laws of magical stamina; as they are cast more and more in any single skirmish, their power and intensity grows. The weaker and more exhausted their caster, the stronger the power of an Inversed spell.
    • Killer: Spells of intense power and effect that demand a price of blood, either from their caster or from their target. After a Killer spell takes effect, it immediately consumes blood from either the target that it struck, or it steals it from its own caster to feed its hunger. Killer spells are extremely dangerous, and can at times demand more blood than even the caster can part with.
    • Aftermath (Anima-Locked) (Requires Residue): An even greater amount of the spell's base composition is left behind than with Residue. With even a small number of spells cast one after another, a mage could turn a battlefield from a barren plain to a shallow, muddy swamp.
    • Forecast (Anima-Locked): Rather than focus singularly on any given target or groups, your spell seeps throughout the area and changes it to more benefit the element of your choice. Forecasting mages can turn the tides of battle by attuning the battlefield to match their strengths for a short time.
    • Curse (Dark-Locked) (Requires Malady): A greater depth of the darkness that makes up the spell leaves its mark upon the target, cursing them with a mild-to-moderate affliction. The extent ranges from a sniffling nose to a fever to a slow-acting, paralyzing illness, depending on the caster's malice.
    • Drain (Dark-Locked): A small portion of the dark spell eats away at the target's life, swallowing their energy whole and returning it to the caster for their own benefit.
    B-rank Upgrades (open)

• Ritual: The mage has researched into the practice of ritual spells, allowing them a greater range of effective capabilities. Ritual spells have three basic requirements: magic from the caster, some manner of reagent, and intense focus and concentration. A mage engaged in conducting a ritual spell cannot be interrupted without a magical backlash being unleashed, however, the immense power, range and complexity to ritual spells compared to the norm is worth the risk to some.
    • Doublecast: Training and experience have honed the mage's abilities, allowing them to cast and hold onto two spells at the same time without severely draining their mental stamina. Doublecasting mages often are feared as some of the most complex, and thus dangerous, mages to face in battle, as what would normally be a simple, but lethal, spell could just as easily be a feint as a death blow.
    A-rank Modifiers (open)

• Siege: Exchanging close-range accuracy for long-range access, Siege spells have a reach capable of striking targets tens of meters away. Siege-level spells are typically incapable of being summoned at close ranges without the constant risk of the caster being caught and the magic itself going out of control.
    • Brave (Requires Delay): Brave spells are often misunderstood as spells being cast rapidly, one after another. The reality is that a Brave spell is one spell that has been divided into several copies of itself, each possessing the same power and effect as the original spell. Brave spells are nonetheless very fast; as soon as the first spell takes effect, its copies almost instantaneously follow through, innately knowing their target without the mage's command.
    • Vortex: Those targeted by a Vortex spell find themselves literally in the eye of a magical storm. Vortex spells spin and swirl around their target, forming waves of magic that aims to wrap around and crash into the target from all sides rather than from any single point.
    • Masterful: Instead of taking a normal A-rank modifier, the user may apply an unused E-rank or C-rank modifier to their spells.
    • Storm (Anima-Locked) (Requires Forecast): Storm spells literally summon a powerful, volatile storm of the mage's chosen element onto the battlefield, capable of great, but indiscriminate destruction. No one, not even the mage themself, is safe from the devastation of a Storm spell.
    • Terraform (Anima-Locked) (Requires Aftermath): The sheer volume of what is left behind from a Terraform spell is enough to temporarily transform the terrain of a battlefield entirely. An entire village could be transformed from a green scene of beauty to a sand-swallowed ruin if a Terraform spell was given enough time to enact its full effect.
    • Thrall (Dark-Locked): When a target is killed by a spell with the Thrall modifier, the mage may bind their spirit to his/her will, creating an undead servant known as a Risen. The Risen retains all of the combat prowess they had in life, but are otherwise bestial and unsuitable for stealth. However, only one Risen may be created and bound at a time, and while it will not attack its master, the Risen hungers for flesh and will attack anyone who draws near, including the mage's allies. Suppressing this urge takes a great amount of concentration on the part of the caster.
    • Vilify (Dark-Locked) (Requires Curse): The ultimate and most costly of all Dark curses. Vilification spells consume a part of their caster, unless they have necessary living reagents to take their place, in order to put an often permanent curse on the caster's target. Unless removed by a master healer, a Vilification curse will eventually devour all of its target's life force, rendering them invalid and then, past that, little more than a drained corpse.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I would like to clarify that Vel's post above is a suggestion for an updated magic section entirely. I asked him to post it here so I could get everyone's opinions on the whole deal before I made a change that affects everyone who has a magic-using character. I don't mind whether opinions are PMed to me or posted in this thread- just make your voice heard somehow.
  10. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I'm having some mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, it offers some neat ideas and I definitely can't complain about the little blurb it gives. On the other, it also does away with or changes some things that I'd like to figure out before implementing it.

For example, Forecast is cool idea, but I feel like since we're missing Attune in the new system we should probably figure out how exactly it would work; i.e., would Anima be assumed by nature to be strengthened by a good environment, with the main drawback/selling point of Dark being that it isn't attuned to or hindered by anything, or would the environment created by Forecast simply make a mundane, if dangerous battlefield? Ditto with Complexity, which I would assume to be more or less the equivalent of the current system's Complex, except... kind of more vague. I'd probably feel more comfortable if there were an example or two listed in its description.

The apparent absence of Dragon-blessed, and I suppose more importantly, Beastbane also gives me pause. Dragon-blessed I can sort of understand, since magic is meant to already have effects beyond the ordinary, but given the ubiquitous nature of the modifier (and given that the Book of Naga and Grima's Truth are things that I assume would be under it) I'd kind of like to know the official rationale here. Beastbane I also feel is a little strange to have missing given that, like the above, it's present in a lot of areas, and moreover, Wind for example is always effective against Pegasi (and honestly the thing I ended up using most of Awakening to deal with them), but implementing the same thing here might make Wind a god-element so to speak, because of the lack of hard numbers in a spell's Might.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  11. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

With regards to your proposal of elemental 'bases': Do spells have to sit in the elements you suggested? My character Hannah has two spells which are classified more as sound waves, so I suppose they don't have an element (though I could argue Wind at a squeeze?).
  12. Velyoukai

Velyoukai Member new

I'm currently in the process of writing a list and explanations for changes made and thoughts belonging to them.
  13. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Okay. Thanks for the work, vel.
  14. Velyoukai

Velyoukai Member new

Changes Made (open)
    • General
      • Clarified the ways that a spell can fall into the Anima school; through a base type of Fire/Water/Wind/Lightning/Earth. This allows it so that if a user can define what they want, such as sound, as belonging to Wind in some way, they can use Anima modifiers for Sound. If they cannot form such an attachment to either Anima or Dark, a person can still use their idea; they are just restricted to the non-Locked modifiers.
      • Added some lore for Dark magic's origins in Plegia.
    • E-ranks
      • Removed Defensive as a modifier. There's no reason a mage shouldn't be able to use their magic defensively without a modifier.
      • Removed Non-Lethal as a modifier. Unlike weapons, magic spells can be precisely defined to levels that they do not inflict lethal harm to their target.
      • Clarified Malady's description to give a better concept of its effect.
      • Added Residue in order to assert permanence for Anima.
      • Added Charge as a parallel option to Delay, and as a way for a power-type mage to feel included.
      • Basic writing improvements all around.
    • D-ranks
      • Both D-ranks now affect the mage themself instead of spells.
      • Clarified how Potency works due to the addition of Charge.
      • Further clarified Complexity from initial change.
    • C-ranks
      • Area of Effect -> Area-Affecting. Area-Affecting was also clarified.
      • Added Inversed for two reasons. 1. To give a flavor of magic-fighting to mages who prefer desperation tactics in their writing. 2. haha Inverse.
      • Changed Killer to make it more of a legitimately meaningful risk than it previously was. Now taking Killer as a modifier has a tangible risk and mood to it, rather than just being a "one-in-10" lack of control.
      • Removed both After-Effect and Attune and recreated them into Aftermath and Forecast. After-Effect's condition is something that should exist as a general permanence modifier for everything (Should make that). Attune's effect was good, but Forecast helps the mage set the conditions for gaining that benefit instead of situationally benefiting from it. Attune's effect is something that should be built into mages in general, not requiring a modifier cost.
      • Aftermath was added as a follow-up for Residue. At this level, more complex levels of casting are possible, especially with Water spells (a greater amount of water is left behind for future use for lightning or ice spells) and Earth spells.
      • Curse took the A-rank's name and clarified the extent of its own power.
      • Drain was reworded to give a more structural understanding. Otherwise, no changes.
      • Removed Pestilence to bake it into Curse.
      • Removed Martial. The Luna concept was solid, but it messes with permanence, which can be achieved with making solid spells. Might look into reintroducing this with clarification.
      • Removed Disturb to bake it into Curse.
    • B-ranks
      • Clarified how Ritual works.
      • Removed Silentspell; mages don't need words to cast.
      • Added Doublecast in order to create a viable parallel to Ritual. Speed and immediate focus and benefit vs Ritual's need for time and safety to create a greater overall effect.
    • A-ranks
      • Clarified Siege.
      • Redefined and clarified Brave to make it work for magic. Feedback on this would be appreciated.
      • Added Vortex as a general modifier to give a power-based option for mages.
      • Added Storm to emulate Fimbulvetr and other A-rank special spells.
      • Edited Terraform to reflect the Residue and Aftermath modifiers. Terraform is now the final form of a mage's ability to alter the terrain around them on a grand scale.
      • Removed Derange and baked it into the new Vilify.
      • Removed Beastbane entirely as a modifier. As pointed out, Wind magic flat out -should- be more effective against flying enemies, while any manner of magic can be creatively used to greater effect against other creatures, including humans. While functioning for melee weaponry, magic is innately creative and free-form enough in this setting that the mage and RPer in question should be able to creatively take out their enemies as their tactics allow. This is not to say that, in numbers, Wind magic deals 3x damage to anything in the air; it is just that, while the target is in the air, it is reasonably sound that the Wind element would be the most effective in terms of dealing with said target. Lightning would also be solid, whereas Earth might not have a great effect:cost ratio.
      • Removed Dragon-Blessed as a modifier from magic. Magic is freeform by nature in this setting, so while I do want to think about a way for dragon blessings, the effect of this modifier is not good enough to reflect that as it is with weapons and bows+arrows.

To both questions, while addressed somewhat above, answers below:

@Light: At the crux of your question, just because Sound (or any idea) might not fall into Anima sub-specifications, it does not mean you can't use it. If your idea doesn't fit any of the Anima qualifications, it just can't use the Anima-Locked modifiers. For yours, if you did want to use Anima-Locked modifiers, you would just have to have a mindset that your idea (Sound) worked with Anima, such as with Wind. By doing so, you are done; you established a connection to Anima, so you can access Anima-Locked modifiers.

That is all that the statement regarding bases was meant to convey. It has been edited to reflect this clarification.

@UD: you suck Mechanically, it could be assumed that Attune worked as a hidden +4 to [element] magic when in an area that supported [element]. Being in the desert could support fire, or earth, and being by a lake could support Water. That makes it hard to justify it supporting Wind, though, or Dark, which isn't even visibility darkness innately, but a sort of metaphysical/emotional darkness. That is a major reason why Attune was written out; it was just too vague and wasn't ready to be presented to people and expect understanding in return.

Forecast sort of cheats the justification process and works on a pseudo-chemical level to force the battlefield to apply that hidden +4 to the mage. It can be shown by suddenly making the battlefield's humidity rise, or having it get hotter, colder, windier or the like, but think of Forecast working more on a magical-chemical level of making the atmosphere of the battlefield itself more conducive for the mage's magic. It also works to make it much easier for the mage to, if they took Storm at A-rank, literally create a Storm spell in an area that might not accept it naturally. Like with magic's intent at heart, Forecast is there to cheat the natural law system.

Beastbane and Dragon-Blessed were explained above, but in short: Beastbane was redundant in the face of RPer creativity and tactics, and Dragon-Blessed should exist, but with magic being free-form for the most part, I want something better/more fitting to replace it.
  15. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I know I suck vel, I deal with it every day :haa:

Okay vel. Thanks for all the work you've done. It really does help me and my supreme ocd immensely to know the reasons behind the changes, and the points you bring are fair enough.

That said now that I know more or less what happened to do what, I approve.
  16. Darth_Slaverus

In order to accommodate the likes of throwing knives, shurikens, boomerangs, etc., the mod team has introduced a "Throwing" modifier for Light Swords.
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    As a note: While the changes Vel proposed above will NOT be implemented, the moderating team will discuss the separate modifiers to see if they can be implemented.
  18. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    I have an idea please don't kill me that I want to suggest. :tpr:

Name: Piercing
    Applicable weapon types: Lances
    Suggested weapon rank: E or C maybe?
    Description: Well the same mod that swords have.

I've noticed that Lances have no armor piercing mods. The other two do and yes there were armor effective axes and swords in Awakening, but here axes have beastbane, but there were no beastbane axes in game either for the argument of 'it's not in the Awakening'.
  19. Darth_Slaverus

Piercing for Lances looks good to me. I'll make it a C-rank mod.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.