Mirror Silver [Material]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Blonde Panther, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Name: Mirror Silver.
    P/W/C Type: I’m tempted to say Power.
    Appearance: A bar of Mirror Silver is an almost perfectly see-through bar of metal, although it weighs the same as any mundane metal. If peered into at the right angle, it will show a reflection of the user’s face, much like a mirror.
    Description of Function: Weapons forged from Mirror Silver become capable of reflecting light just like a Mirror Shield. However, if swung with enough force, they can also reflect magic projectiles. Armor forged from Mirror Silver still reflects Light and, if hit under the right angle, will deflect magic projectiles, but cannot reflect them back to their caster.
    Limitations: Must be forged by a character that has the necessary Crafting profession. Mirror Silver cannot be combined with any other Materials.

Description Suggestion (open)
    `Mirror Silver
    Original: Blonde Panther, magic-tier – material
    [Material], [Mirror]

[Price here: I’m thinking 20 Rupees a brick but it’s up to the mods]

This precious see-through metal can be used in crafting by a PC with a profession that capable of crafting magic-tier items. When used in crafting, a brick of Mirror Silver can be used to create a single weapon, armor set, or other item capable of reflecting light like a Mirror Shield. Weapons or other items that can be swung will also reflect magic projectiles if they collide with enough force. Armor sets will deflect said projectiles, but only if struck under the right angle, and they cannot reflect them back to the caster due to being unable to be swung. The drawback is that Mirror Silver cannot be combined with any other Material due to its partially magical nature. When creating an item made of Mirror Silver, it is necessary to calculate the weight of the metal portion of the item, divide it by the weight of a bar of Mirror Silver (5 lbs.), and multiply that number by twenty for the cost in rupees.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I'm not responding to this with quotes like Lovers' Bond, just because that was effort-consuming and I'm lazy where I can be :tpr:

For P/W/C: Mirror Shield is Power, so I'd agree with you, but why would it need that? Most materials just have a fixed price.

Thanks for that last bit. We're still figuring out materials, but that last line means we can move forward with this. If things clear up later, we'll give you the option of changing that.

I see how this functions almost exactly like a Mirror Shield and the Reflect spell. However, since this can be made into anything (and therefore is better than the Reflect spell), I'm tinkering with the idea of giving this a drawback beyond the one "cannot send things back to the caster." I dunno, maybe the others think this is a big enough drawback to make things even.
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    If it's any help, I've been toying with the idea to make it more fragile than regular iron or just cranking up the price. I'd rather not see the Mirror Shield in the Library become fully obsolete because of this, although I'm not sure how we'd avoid that.

EDIT: Also, I just added in the Power thing because the field was there and I thought it was mandatory to be filled out. Lastly, I intend for weapons to be able to play Dead Man's Volley- this is something I want to get for the sword of my character that's going to do Ganon's Tower because he doesn't use shields or magic. I'm not sure how to balance it for armor.
  4. Quill

Just as an aside, you may not need any treasures to play DMV. Just as Arcane Bolt, Ganondorf's attacks, and PG's attacks can be deflected with a slice, so too could DMV be probably played with normal weapons. IMO, anyway. Unless I'm forgetting a canon detail, you could probably pull that off.

Cranking up the price... I would rather avoid doing that as a balancing act. Fragility may work; some kind of drawback is needed to keep this from overshadowing the Canon Mirror Shield. Also, you can put N/A in a field if it's appropriate.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The games are awkward on this. In OOT!Phantom Ganon's and Ganondorf's case, the Master Sword is held by Link at the time of the battle. I forget if this is the case in Wind Waker, too. But then, a simple bottle can be used against Ganondorf and WW!Phantom Ganon..?

Obviously a sword of Mirror Silver isn't gonna be the Blade of Evil's Bane. At any rate, even if DMV can be played with a regular sword, Mirror Silver has the added ability of reflecting light, so I still need it =P
  6. Quill

I was mistaken earlier; only "enchanted weaponry or magical defenses can reflect" Arcane Bolt. Anyway, that's not too relevant to this treasure. I think that magic-reflecting armor is a little too strong; a warrior wearing one would be more than a match for a mage that way. Magic-reflecting weapons, though, is a good idea. The bottle thing probably won't work here, though, and probably shouldn't be tried.

A fragile weapon capable of reflecting most magical projectiles? Seems good. The "fragile" thing makes sense, too, given the title "Mirror Silver."
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Extreme-case scenario, I could change the description so that the metal can ONLY be worked into weapons. However I have a hard time coming up with an explanation for that. I myself was never intending to make a suit of armor out of this for that very reason- it'd be very overpowered against mages. (Which, coincidentally, I have a lot of.)
  8. Quill

Well, if it's too powerful as armor, it needs to be clear that it can't be shaped into anything but weapons.

Explanation... oh boy, crafting question... maybe that Mirror Silver can't be shaped to meet the exact measurements necessary for a suit of armor or somat?
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Maybe if stretched to that point the metal loses its magic properties, therefore losing its ability to reflect magic? I know NOTHING about actual smithing, so I'm not sure here.
  10. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

You'd need multiple plates and such fitted, and to borrow from a Mega Man fancomic concerning Mettaur plating as an analog, it would probably be unhealthy to have such armor equipped and could very likely kill the wearer and such, with all of the reflected magic going to the edges of the armor plates.

I'm pretty okay with this being made for anti-magic projectile weaponry, though. I like that idea, though for the most part it makes this material remarkably limited in application.
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Is that necessarily a bad thing, though? I'm once again speaking from personal experience, but I prefer to forge weapons from material treasures over armor and shields, anyway. I know Goron Iron is used as armor material, but I don't know about others...
  12. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

No, not particularly a bad thing. Just wondering if there's other applications we're overlooking.
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Not that I know of...
  14. Quill

By "other applications" do you mean things like gauntlets, small items, and pieces of smaller armor?

Personally, I think that clearly limiting this to weapons would be best, but just thought I'd throw that out there.
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm with Quill. I think the best way to not make this overpowered is to make it only available as material for weapons.
  16. Quill

In the first sentence, do you want "transparent" or "reflective?" Dunno how something could be both, although that may just be my natural ignorance of metallurgy. XD Also, if I missed anything important, let me know. I threw in the "due to" sentence on a whim, but if you think the entry doesn't need it (or if you have a better idea for it) just let me know.

`Mirror Silver
    Original: Blonde Panther, Magic-Tier - Defense
    [Material], [Mirror]

20 rupees per bar

This almost perfectly transparent metal can be used in crafting by a PC with a profession that is capable of crafting magic-tier items. Weapons forged from it become capable of reflecting light as does a Mirror Shield, and if swung with enough force they can also reflect magical projectiles. Due to its unique smelting properties, it cannot be forged into anything beyond weapons. A bar of Mirror Silver weighs almost the same as a bar of any other mundane metal, and it cannot be mixed with any other material.
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Looks fine to me. Transparent works best in this case, yeah.
  18. Quill

Alright. You've got my vote. Nice idea with restrictions to prevent OP misuse. Seems good to me. [1/2]

`Mirror Silver
    [Material], [Mirror]

20 rupees per bar

This almost perfectly transparent metal can be used in crafting by a PC with a profession that is capable of crafting magic-tier items. Weapons forged from it become capable of reflecting light as does a Mirror Shield, and if swung with enough force they can also reflect magical projectiles. Due to its unique smelting properties, it cannot be forged into anything beyond weapons. A bar of Mirror Silver weighs almost the same as a bar of any other mundane metal, and it cannot be mixed with any other material.

EDIT: We could possibly explain that last part as, "due to its pure, reflective nature being necessary to the reflection of magic, this treasure cannot be mixed with any other [Material] treasure.
  19. Quill

`Mirror Silver
    [Material], [Mirror], [Single-Use]

20 rupees

This almost perfectly transparent metal can be used in crafting by a player-character with a sufficiently-related level in the Crafting treasure. Weapons forged from it become capable of reflecting light as does a Mirror Shield, and if swung with enough force they can also reflect magical projectiles. Due to its unique smelting properties, it cannot be forged into anything beyond weapons. A bar of Mirror Silver weighs almost the same as a bar of any other mundane metal, and due to its pure, reflecting nature being necessary to the reflection of magic, this treasure cannot be mixed with any other material.
  20. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    If, in the light of the new crafting system, the price is acceptable to the mods, then that's it.