Merchant Profession

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...I've had my I-can't-actually-fight-but-I-can-make-a-lot-of-money Business Scrub, Gustav, been slowly increasing levels in a profession called "Merchant" for a while now, even though I've been pretty unsure of what it actually does aside from make the normal rupee gain almost every profession does.

Especially now that I'm going to be using him again, I felt like I should give Merchant something remotely interesting to do. Instead of just hacking this into the Library of Treasures, I wanted to get some outside approval on it first:

Merchant
    Lv1: A merchant earns an additional 5 mercantile rupees per quest (or classic dungeon). These rupees do not function as quest rupees or profession rupees, and thus cannot be immediately exchanged for treasures or profession points during the quest in which they are earned.
    Lv2: The merchant can acquire any number of free common-tier items in a role-play, through trade. ("Trade" must be role-played or mentioned.)
    Lv3: +10 mercantile rupees per quest; when the merchant earns more than 5 mercantile rupees, the extra rupees must be earned through trade.
    Lv4: The merchant can acquire 1 magic-tier item with a 4/4/4 PWC cost equal to or less than half the mercantile rupees he earned in that same role-play, through trade. The mercantile rupees the merchant would earn in that quest are reduced by the cost of the item.
    Lv5: +15 mercantile rupees per quest
    Lv6: Whenever he successfully sells any item through the Marketplace, the merchant gains a bonus of mercantile rupees which equals 10% of the sold item's 4/4/4 cost.
    Lv7: +20 mercantile rupees per quest
    Lv8: On every Saturday, a merchant earns an additional 5 mercantile rupees automatically due to his ties in the Marketplace. (The player must record these extra rupees manually, and the Marketplace must be functioning for the rupees to be earned.)
    Lv9: +25 mercantile rupees per quest
    Lv10: +30 mercantile rupees per quest; when calculating the costs of items for merchant abilities, treat the item's cost as 5/5/5 instead of 4/4/4.

Comments? Issues? Challenges to a duel?
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    On Level 6/8: "the Marketplace must be functioning" What defines this? Additionally, "every Saturday" seems a little strange since time in the roleplay is not measured by our standards. Also, how are items that have an incomplete rupee at 10% of their 4 or 5 PWC cost going to be treated? Are you going to round up, or down?

Anyways, I challenge you to a duel.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

The Marketplace actually exists and we have a forum for it.

Yes, it does. The Marketplace is intended to function separately from the main role-play in that purchases and sales can effectively be made at any time. Secondly, any actions by NPCs in the marketplace were scheduled to take place on Saturday (excluding any occasionally sporadic actions due to other circumstances). Hopefully that makes it seem a little less odd.

It's always rounded up, of course.

... *shuffles deck*
  4. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Ah. Okay. Everything else is clear, and I don't really have a problem with any of it either, so as far as I'm concerned it seems fine as a profession.

Also, I was always terrible at Yu-Gi-Oh! Mostly because the "rules" in the show always confused me as to how I should actually play the game.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Woo. :tpr:

Yeah... Just like in the manga, the "rules" of Duel Monsters hadn't truly been made uniform (and logical) until the Battle City arc, which didn't seem to even air in the west until YGO's popularity was apparently on a decline anyway.
  6. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Hey Guy, it's a good idea and all, but how will this act with professional? Professional is, by your own words a bit over powered, and working with this would mean that the character at level 10 earns 180 (50 rupees base + (50 for level 10) times 2 for professional + 30 merchant special ability) rupees per quest, 210 if those earned through the special ability count as rupees "earned normally".

That, and things like rupoors and business perk could boost it even further, making that character rich far beyond most other characters and put them into a class of their own (No bad political pun intended). This would mean that a solo RP with the character would bring itself to the per quest rupee limit, not to mention the complications that would arise if you threw them in a quest with other characters.

My suggestion is either make certain abilities incompatible (so you can't gain the extra merchant rupees and professional ones in the same quest; for example) at the same time, or place an overall limit the number of rupees that a single character can earn in one RP.

These are all good ideas Guy, but the way you can string them together could make them game breaking.
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I actually find myself wondering if this is really that much of a problem... because to get the setup you described with a C5 character, they would need to quest for:
    - 590r: Lv10 Merchant profession
    - 40r and a Major treasure slot (Professional)
    - 30r: Rupoor
    - 30r: Double Rupoor
    ~ Begin with the Business racial ability (or a similar ability, like nose for treasure).

To recap, that's 690r worth of questing, plus a major and racial slot. For all this effort, the character can earn per solo-character quest:

+50r: quest rupees
    +115r: profession rupees
    +30r: mercantile rupees
    +10r: rupoor rupees
    205r total. This would be reduced to 200r for the entire quest (even if quest/mercantile rupees were exchanged for treasures), due to the limit you noted. (I'm not sure if the limit actually works that way, but it should.) The main problem here is that it would discourage group role-plays a bit, but, ironically that would be to the player's own effort...

Personally, I don't feel like it's that much of a problem, considering a character would have to spend around ten quests (depending on how profession was prioritized and how many characters are involved, etc.) to be able to get this setup... and as far as I know, we've yet to have a character pull that off, let alone dedicate it all towards one singular purpose. Furthermore, all they're really earning in excess above a more typical character (aside from mercantile) are plain rupees which don't actually have much use aside from getting expensive treasures (which, by current library standards, a normal character could have gotten three expensive major treasures and then some by the time this setup was completed) or expending on Dreamtwiser... who himself would probably spite the character for bothering him so much or having so many rupees to begin with.

As you can see, I'm leaning towards not changing it, or at least not changing it dramatically... but I'm trying to keep an open mind, here. If something should change, what would you suggest?
  8. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    This, pretty much. As I've said before, as things are right now there's not really anything that makes this many rupees worth the trouble of getting, so if the player doesn't have his sights set on a certain super-expensive treasure I can see people going 'well, screw the additional rupees' (if that's possible) if they use the combination Raz mentioned.

I at least am not going to be bothered about a certain combination of treasures making a bucketload of rupees in one RP since they don't really... DO anything making that character better than mine.