Lynel Hunt

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Devil-Steel, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Devil-Steel

Devil-Steel Your friendly neighborhood devil reg

Hanno would arrive in Nabooru searching for someone that had posted a job to investigate sightings of a Lynel hear Lake Hylia. The Zora only decided to take the quest as that was where Zora’s domain was located. Hopefully if there were such a creature near the lake he could be seen as part of the force that dispatches the creature and maybe some of the stigma over his mixed blood would finally be erased. He would walk into the local pub and find the jobs poster sitting with two others. One was a Fokka with black feathers, while the other was a large man in a suit of armor, he almost looked like a Darknut from here.

Slowly the Zora would approach the ground before stopping just a few feet from them. ” Hello there. My name is Hanno Arabo. I’m a Combat Medic, here to take on the job of investigating the Lynel sighting.” The job poster, an older Hylian wearing armor belonging to that of the army, would stand up and look at him for a moment before nodding his head. ” Good, a medic is just what a mission like this might need should the sighting be true. Let me introduce you to the two you will be working with for this job.”

Turning around the old Hylian would wrap one arm around Hanno’s shoulders and with his other arm motion towards the Fokka. ” This here is Carasa a Fokka mercenary.” Moving his hand towards the armored man he would continue. ” And this is Sandal. He don’t speak much, or very well either when he does. We think he’s a Hylian, but he refuses to remove his helmet.” Releasing his grip from the Zora the old Hylian would motion for the three of them to follow him over to a nearby table.

One the table was a map of Northern Hyrule with multiple red x’s on it. ” Each of the marks on the map represents spots where this Lynel was supposedly spotted. I’m going to need y’all to check out each of these places, as well as the general surrounding area. If the three of you don’t find anything, I’ll call this bogus, but if you do happen to find this thing....” The old Hylian would trail off for a moment before continuing. ” Well I’m sure you know what to do it you find it. Anywho, that’s all for the briefing. The map is y’alls so you can keep track of where the spots are and which you’ve checked. Good luck out there.”
  2. Devil-Steel

With that the old Hylian would leave the three men on their own to plan. Hanno was about to speak up with the Carasa spoke up first. ” Looks like the closest mark to us is labeled as the first sighting. Each subsequent mark is labeled for which sighting they are as well. The closer to the lake the more recent the sighting. I say we skip the first marks and start our search from the last mark. If we don’t find anything there or nearby, we can search the others on our way back here to report.” With that Carasa would roll the map up and hand it to Hanno. ” Stick that in your adventure pouch won’t ya. We’re wastin daylight let’s go boys.”

It’s not that Carasa was eager to meet a Lynel or anything, he was just eager to get a move on. The worse the chance of finding any tracks would be. That’s all Carasa needed was one set of tracks and he would be able to find the Lynel no problem, if it was actually out there that is. As Carasa headed towards the door Sandal would stand up and follow him. When Sandal realized that Hanno wasn’t moving, he would turn to look at him. ” We go. You come.” With his words spoke Sandal would once again start to follow Carasa.

Just what had Hanno gotten himself into? One just appointed himself the leader, the other just follows his lead. The Zora never even had a chance to speak up and voice an opinion before the other two started to walk away. This was going to be a long job for him and he just knew it. With a sigh he would stuff the map into his adventure pouch and hurry to catch up with the other two men. Wasn’t any point in complaining now and making a scene in the middle of town.

Once Hanno caught up with the other two Carasa would speak. ” Took you long enough. I was starting to think you changed your mind about coming with us.” Before Hanno had a chance to voice any objections the Fokka would start to laugh and look back at the Zora. ” Relax I’m just bustin your chops. None of us know the other and we will be going through the small woods surrounding the city in a moment. These woods are crawling with skulltulas. It will be a good chance for us to each see what the others are like in the heat of battle before we get to the Lynel.” With that the Fokka would finally go quiet and Hanno would speak up.
  3. Devil-Steel

” You know you could let others speak once in a while. You might find they actually have thoughts of their own and potentially have better ideas than you do. I do not know why you think we are just going to follow your lead the entire time and without question when we know nothing about you. Also, skulltulas don’t count as much of a fight. All you have to do is stare at them until they turn around and then strike them in their back. Though I do agree we need to know how the others fight.” The Zora had been frustrated by the Fokka, and he finally had a chance to let him know what was on his mind.

Hanno’s remarks caused Carasa to stop in his tracks and turn to look at him. ” Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize we had time to debate while a Lynel is potentially on the loose. We don’t have time to discu...” He would be cut off by a large club being thrust between him and the zora. ” No argue.” Sandal’s speech often times left much to be desired, but not this time. With a sigh Carasa would look at the large suit of armor and give a sarcastic bow to him. ” Then what do you propose we do?”

That was probably the worst thing that the Fokka could have done. Ask one of the simplest moblins on the planet what they should do. ” Talk when camp.” Carasa was taken aback. Camp what the hell did he mean camp? ” What do you mean camp?!” Reaching up Hanno would place his hand on the club while looking at the large man signaling, he would explain. ” Well we are traveling across the entirety of Hyrule Field in search of a Lynel. By time we would reach the lake, and your recommended search location we will be far from full energy. If we don’t camp, chances are we won’t survive if we do find a Lynel. That goes for if we search from the starting spot as well. We need to at least rest before hand otherwise we will be in trouble, but frankly I’m not a fan of fighting by moonlight.” Stepping past the two of them the zora would continue on his way forward. At this point they were wasting time.

As Hanno walked past Carasa he was about to speak up when Sandal quietly followed behind him causing Carasa to sigh and bring up the rear. These two are going to give me a headache. I can already feel it coming on. Thought the Fokka as they made their way through the woods on the outskirts of Nabooru. Surprisingly enough they made it through the woods without running into any skulltulas. As they cleared the trees, they could see the expanse of Hyrule Field. A few trees and hills dotted the landscape.
  4. Devil-Steel

It was going to be a long, boring trek across the field, but they didn’t have much choice. It wasn’t like any one of them owned a wagon, they didn’t have any horses either. Neither the view or the sight of just how far they had to go would be enough to stop the trio from breaking stride as they cleared the woods edge. They had no choice but to press on after all.

They walked for what seemed like an eternity and the sun was starting to get low. As the reached the top of a hill they could see Hylia Lake. It wasn’t much further but with the sun going down now was the time to stop. ” We camp.” Sandal was the one that spoke up before Hanno had a chance this time. It was probably for the best, Carasa seemed like he didn’t want to anger the largest member of their group after all.

Oddly enough the large man would pull firewood from his adventure pouch along with tinder and a flint. As he prepared the campfire to be lit, he would realize there was too much wind for him to get the tinder going. He began to adjust his body to try and block the wind, to no success. ” Here.” Walking over to the would-be campfire Carasa would kneel and place his hands on the ground. Within seconds a small wall of dirt and rocks would raise up from the ground surrounding the campfire.

Both Sandal and Hanno would look on in amazement as the wall formed. ” How did you do that?” Asked the zora. ” Just a little trick I picked up a few years ago. I can do more than make small walls though. I can form and shape the earth into whatever I desire. So long as I’m close enough to it that is. What about the two of you?” If they were making camp now would be the best time to find out what each of them can do.

” I know a few healing spells, one requires water, so I carry a bottomless bottle filled with water from Lake Hylia. I’m working on learning more, and stronger, healing spells.” Saying it out loud he felt a like he wasn’t all that impressive compared to someone that can literally control the earth. Turning his head towards Sandal who now had the fire lit he would wait for his response. ” Me strong. Make armor.” Sandal ladies and gentlemen. A man of few words. The strong silent type. Wait what’s that? Oh no, he’s just a simpleton. Then let’s hope the others understood him well enough.
  5. Devil-Steel

Carasa opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Hanno unfurling the map and laying it out on the ground. ” I think you are right about where we should start our search tomorrow. I believe we will find the Lynel close to the shores of Lake Hylia. All the marks don’t stray too far from the Lake, but there have been no sightings around the lake itself. It probably stays close enough to a water source while hunting in the area nearby for food. I think by time we reach the last mark and head towards the lake we should be able to see it leaving the lake after a morning drink, or even bath. My concern is what order will have for keeping watch tonight? Stalfos and Poes roam the field at night.”

He agrees with me! Then why did he argue about it earlier?! This had ruffled the fokkas feathers to be sure. ” If you agree with me why did you argue it when we left?!” With a sigh Hanno would roll up the map and put it away in his adventure pouch once more. ” Because had we followed you, we would still be on the move. Tired, hungry, and having to worry about more than just a Lynel to fight at the same time. It was a foolhardy plan.” Before the two could get into a full-blown argument the smell of cooking meat would hit their noses. It seemed like Sandal had pulled out some food from his adventure pouch and some skewers and set it over the open flame to cook. ” You eat. Me watch.”

Ok that just sounds creepy. Then again with his simple speech did he mean something else? ” You mean you’re going to keep watch Sandal?” It was the zora that spoke up while looking at the armored giant who would just nod his head in agreement before standing up and walking a little way away. ” Guess that settles that. I’ll take the second shift then. You get some rest; I feel like your control over the earth will be needed more than my healing in the upcoming battle.” The zora spoke as he grabbed two skewers of meat and passed one to Carasa.

” I feel like we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. What say we bury the hatchet and start over.” With a sigh and a smile Carasa would take the skewer from the zora. ” Deal.” The two would eat in silence before settling in near the fire to get some much-needed rest. Once the two of them were asleep Sandal would return to the campfire and grab the remaining skewers. They were a little cold, but it didn’t matter to him. He would return to where he had been and remove his helmet so he could eat. Little did he know that his approach had roused the zora from his slumber.

Slowly Hanno would approach the unmasked moblin. “Oh, you were just hungry Sandal. I thought you were ready to switch with me when I heard you walk u….” [/b] Hanno would trail off as Sandal turned around startled. He would quickly shove his helmet on, resting his hand on his club. The zora had been surprised by what he had just seen. Sandal wasn’t some massive Hylian as he had originally thought but rather a moblin. Well, that explains the simple speech pattern. ” Calm down big guy. I’m not going to hurt you. You’ve been nothing but nice since we’ve met. You made us a campfire, gave us food, took the first shift of watch without eating. Which now I see you just didn’t eat because you didn’t want us to know your secret, so let me tell you mine since I know yours. I’m not just a sea zora. I’m a river zora as well. I’m an abomination hated by both kinds of my people. I have no right to judge anyone just based on what they are, and I never would because I know how it feels.” Slowly Sandal would relax as he looked at the zora. ” Me trust. Me sleep.”
  6. Devil-Steel

It may not have been much, but it seems like the moblin believed him. Now Hanno would be forced to spend his shift trying to figure out how Carasa would react to the news. No. It would be better not to tell him. It’s not his secret to reveal after all. Maybe one day Sandal will come to trust Carasa to reveal the truth to him. Letting out a sigh the zora would being to circle around their makeshift camp keeping an eye out for any enemies that were approaching but saw nothing.

After a few hours Hanno would wake Carasa and switch off with him for the last few hours of watch duty. Carasa would remove his halberd from his back he would begin his shift on watch. It was only about an hour into his watch when a lone Stalfos began its approach. One on One eh. No need to wake the others up. Crouching low Carasa would place his hand on the ground and raise up a spike of earth about half the size of his leg. Holding his hand with the palm facing up the spike would rotate in the air until the point was at the approaching Stalfos. Closing his hand, the spike would break into a bunch of smaller spikes of varying sizes. When he reopened his hand, the spikes would fly towards the Stalfos with Carasa following behind them.

The spikes would damage the Stalfos but be too weak to defeat it outright. That was fine though, the cracks that had formed in the bones all over the Stalfos just meant one good swing of his halberd would finish this. As he neared striking range though the fokka would see the Stalfos open its mouth and a purple mist start flowing out. MIASMA! He knew that they could use such a technique but didn’t think he would be unlucky enough to encounter one. With a quick swing of his weapon, he would embed the spear tip on top of the shaft into the ground and fly off the ground landing on top of the base of his weapon out of the reach of the miasma.

With a quick back flip Carasa would be forced to leave his weapon behind that didn’t mean he was out of options though. No in fact the fokka would crouch down once more holding both hands over the ground beneath him. This time it wasn’t a spike that rose from the ground but rather five stone short swords. The five swords would line up one above the other with the middle one directly beside his hand. With his other hand he would motion for the Stalfos to come try and fight him.
  7. Devil-Steel

Angered that his poison cloud failed to do anything the Stalfos would charge sword in hand. The Stalfos wasn’t scared of the five stone swords floating in the air beside Carasa. As the Stalfos neared the mercenary would raise his hand up and bring it down like he was swinging a sword in his hand. The result was that each of the five swords followed his hand before coming down and attacking one after the other. The Stalfos would bring his sword up and block the first sword easily, but then came the second, and then the third, finally the fourth sword would impact the Stalfos blade and knock away his guard. This allowed the fifth blade to strike truth and crash right through the skull of the Stalfos.

With the Stalfos defeated Carasa would let the five stone swords drop to the ground as he looked at his halberd. How long was he going to have to wait to reclaim his weapon? As he sat there pondering whether he should stroll into the poison cloud to get his weapon he would see the cloud starting to disperse answering his question. Well, that answered his question on how long the cloud was going to last. After he grabbed his weapon, he would resume his watch until the sun began to rise with no more surprise visitors.

Returning to the campfire he would wake his two companions. It was time for them to head to the lake and continue their search for the Lynel in question. Once the other two were up, Hanno would pour water from his bottomless bottle on the remains of the campfire to ensure it was fully out. Then the group would head out once more. It wouldn’t take them but an hour to reach the last spot that the lynel had been spotted. Looking towards the lake they could make out a figure and began to head towards it.

As they got closer the figure slowly took on the shape of a lynel and Hannos heart dropped. His mind raced to if he would be of any help at all in this fight. His only healing spell after all needed to be drank to even be effective. Not like he could just hold onto a bucket of rejuvenating water for the duration of the fight and be a water boy. He didn’t have any offensive spells either. Shaking his head to clear his mind the zora would push the thoughts from his mind.
  8. Devil-Steel

Once they were closer the Lynel would turn away from the bush, he looked like he had been studying to face the trio. ” What do the three of you want? No, you’re here to kill me just because of what I am aren’t you?” It seemed like the Lynel was used to this sort of treatment, although he was surprised that it had taken this long for someone to come after him since making it to Northern Hyrule. ” Then come.” As he spoke the Lynel would draw his sword and shield. His sword would start to glow red, brimming with a fire enchantment. Now he would wait for his opponents to come at him.

Sandal would be the first one to make a move. Drawing his club, he would hold it in his left and stop about six feet from the Lynel sizing him up. Even he was dwarfed by this creature. It was a first for him. He was used to always being the biggest dog (eh eh) in the fight. Still, this had to be done and he had the most protection for a head on fight. Focusing for roughly one second the moblin would suddenly launch towards the lynel shoulder first. He was going to try and blitz him and catch him off guard.

The lynel was prepared though. He brough his shield up to block, the impact not even causing him to slide backwards. While his opponent was close, he would quickly swing his sword horizontally at his armored foe. Sandals instincts kicked in and brought his club up to block resulting in searing flames bursting forth from the lynels weapon. The flames would wash over Sandal and his armor. They were extremely hot but didn’t last long enough to heat his armor up to a point of burning him or cooking him within. The flames did burn him through the crack between his armor pieces, but he would still be able to fight. The moblin didn’t move from his spot though. The lynel and he were locked up and this would be the perfect time for one of his cohorts to act!

Never one to be left behind in a fight again, as soon as Sandal made his way directly towards the Lynel Carasa and Hanno had spread out to either side of it to flank him. The first to make a move out of the two of them would be Carasa since he was capable of long-range attacks. Kneeling he would place his hands on the ground and multiple small spikes would form on the ground within a one-foot radius of either hand. One at a time the spikes would launch from the ground. Each one was roughly the size of his leg.

The lynel would use all his strength to push Sandal back and would turn and hold up his shield while slashing at the projectiles coming his way. Now that he was directly facing the assault some of the spikes would miss without any interaction from him. The result was a few spikes slamming into his shield doing no damage to him. The two spikes that he slashed down with his sword caused two separate bursts of flames obscuring the lynel and fokkas view of the other. A few shards of shrapnel would leave small cuts on the right side of the lynels body and face. Ultimately no damage was done that meant anything, and Carasa had just made himself a target.
  9. Devil-Steel

Before the Lynel could go after him though there would be a sharp pain in his left hind leg. Turning his head, he would see the tip of a spear imbedded in him. With a roar he would spin around, ripping the spear from his body and swinging his weapon at it to bathe the zora in flames. However, with one small movement of Hanno’s back hand the front of his spear would quickly drop a foot and a half lower than it had been avoiding contact with the flame enchanted weapon.

With a smirk Hanno would step in and continue his attack. Quick thrusts and quick evades of the lynels sword allowed him to keep the pressure on safely out of range of his opponent’s attack. Each thrust would connect with either the lynels body, legs, and occasionally his arm aside from the attacks that were blocked by the shield. None of the wounds were deep but the number of them were starting to build up and would surely start to take their toll on the beast.

The Lynel would suddenly bring up his shield to protect his upper chest and neck as he reared his head back taking a deep breath before suddenly moving the shield and unleashing a dangerous fire breath at the zora. While Hanno was wearing his fireshield earrings they wouldn’t prevent him from being burned and he had no way of healing himself. So, he did the only thing that he could do. He rolled away from the lynel and the flames chasing him.

Once again before the lynel could give chase he would feel pain in one of his hind legs. This time the pain was stronger. Turning his head, he would see the large, armored foe had just slammed his club into his right hind leg. Bones had been fractured with that attack. The Lynel was no long capable of sprinting that much was sure. Raising his sword up high he was about to swing when he was hit in the back by a heavy blow. A large stone ball, about half the size of Carasa had just slammed into his right shoulder causing the lynel to drop his sword. Throwing down his shield the lynel would draw his large two-handed sword. It would begin to glow red as he once again went to swing on Sandal who was pulling his club back to finish what he started on that leg.

Before the lynel could swing he would find a spear piercing his left arm. Dropping his other sword when the club hit his hind leg once more. He would quickly grab the spear and pull it free from his arm. Then with all the strength he could muster with his injured shoulder blade he would fling the small zora into the back of the moblin. Sending both crashing to the ground, knocking Sandals helmet off and bouncing about ten feet away. (When will he put a strap on that thing?) Turning to face the Fokka he would flip the spear around in his hand and raise it high and throw it like a javelin. It was about the size of a lynel javelin after all. Fortunately for Carasa with that injured shoulder the attack missed. Horribly.
  10. Devil-Steel

” I have hurt no one! I have attacked no one! All I was doing was looking for rare seeds, but I must die just because I am a Lynel?! I know a large amount of my kind work for him, but should I be forced to pay for the crimes of them when I have done nothing?! I just want to study my plants in peace! Is that too much to ask for?” Normally a rather stoic and quiet person the Lynel had spoke up. He knew he was going to lose this fight. Three on one with an injured leg.

Carasa raised yet another stone spike up and took aim, but before he could fire it off Hanno would stumble in front of the Lynel and hold his arms out to protect him. Well try to protect him, the large creature’s upper body was still mostly exposed. ” Don’t do it Carasa. All of us here are the same. We are all outcasts in one way or another. Or will you turn your attacks on Sandal and me next?” Looking over at Sandal confused Carasa had no idea why Hanno would even suggest such a thing. That was when he saw the moblin scrambling for his helmet.

Had Carasa walked up on such a scene without knowing Sandal he would have attacked him, but knowing him, he would never be able to attack such a kind creature. His big question…” Why would I ever attack you Hanno. I understand why you ask about Sandal now, but what reason could I have for attacking you?” Lowering his arms he would look back towards the Lynel. ” Because I’m half river zora and half sea zora. Neither race want anything to do with me. Half of me is from what is considered a monster race that most of the civilized races attack on sight.” Reaching into his adventure pouch he would retrieve a bucket and two glasses. He would start filling the bucket with water before continuing. ” I’m sure you yourself have experienced it. The Fokka such as yourself are looked down upon by the Rito aren’t you. Not only that but you come from a race that is typically associated with the air and you control the earth itself. Haven’t you felt the disapproving gazes we have?” Placing a single finger in the water for a moment before dipping the first glass into the water and turning to face the lynel.

” Drink this. It will heal your wounds and restore some of your energy. Can you tell us why you are out here alone instead of in the Lower Wilds with the rest of your people?” After asking he would dip the other glass into the bucket and head over towards Sandal with a smile and offer it to him. Carasa understood everything that Hanno had said but had yet to lower the stone spike, waiting instead to see what the lynel would do.
  11. Devil-Steel

” I am here alone because my clan shunned me for my interest in plants. I am a fairly skilled botanist and am also gifted in fire magic. My people couldn’t understand and just wanted me to be a proud warrior but that isn’t me.” After speaking the lynel would drink the water. There would be no point in the zora protecting him, only to try and poison him afterwards when his companion could have finished the job himself.

Upon hearing the lynels words Carasa would lower the stone spike and sit down on it. ” Your right Hanno. I have felt the same gaze as all of you. Even from my old mercenary group. It always felt like all of them except the leader looked down on me. So, what are we going to do now?” He was of course referring to the job they had taken. Turning back to Carasa, Hanno would ponder for a moment. ” Easy we tell him that there was no lynel. In the meantime, would you care to travel with us. I’m sorry I never did ask your name. I am Hanno Arabo, that is Carasa, and this is Sandal.” As he said each name he would motion to his companions. ” My name is Corbin Willborn. Are you sure you would want to be seen traveling with a Lynel?” With a smile Hanno would walk towards him and hold out his hand for a handshake. ” Why not? I think all of us should stick together. I think we all belong together. Maybe someday we can show people that not everyone of a race is the same as what they believe. There can be good and bad in any race, and you are plenty strong, but we can help protect you should someone attack you in the future.” With a smile Corbin would reach out and shake the zoras hand before retrieving his gear.

Hanno would do the same and the four of them would form a small circle. ” Here’s to the day the four of us can walk into a town together and not cause a stir. That includes you without your helmet someday Sandal.” With that the newly formed quartet of outcasts would head back towards Nabooru so the three could complete their job before heading off on an adventure with their new friend.