Lottery Errant

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Guy, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

A short while later, the pair found themselves sitting across from each other on a small, cheap little dining table. The table was just outside an effectively-nameless restaurant which had just now served its last customers for the day, and was already closing up for the night. As the owner of the place locked the door behind him scurried off back towards the residential district, she gave a slight nod towards Gustav, which was returned in kind.

"...Well, that's just about the last person here who owed me a favor," the Scrub said with a sigh. He was referring to the fact the meal his friend received was free. He still remembered how she couldn't stop thanking him for it, noting again and again how she knew his profits were poor. She was just adding insult to injury right there, even though she had the best of intentions. But still, it made matters all the more apparent to him. The businessman was always quite skilled at what he did, but lately... things have been getting worse and worse. At this rate, he might be broke by tomorrow. Broke... he shuddered as the word resonated throughout his mind. For a Business Scrub to be broke was beyond failure. He would do anything to avoid it, and was already deep in thought, desperate to know how... why... what he could possibly do to reverse the tides of fortune. Staring off into the distance, he once again let out a sigh.

Ruby paused from her devouring of her cucco and glanced up at him, brow slightly furrowed. "Mr. Grimm, have you thought any more about Impa?"
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"Hm?" He tilted his head, diverting his gaze back down to refocus upon her. Though he truly wasn't fully understanding of what she said, he was mostly distracted by the bit of fried cucco glued to her cheek.

"This morning, we were talking about Impa, if you recall..."

"Yes, yes..." Gustav nodded, remembering bits of the conversation. He managed to divert his eyes from the fried bit and look into her irises straight. "What about it?"

Ruby placed down the last bone of her meal, and carefully wiped her face--fried cucco bit and all--off on a white napkin provided by the restaurant. "The last of your loans ended today. You no longer have anyone owing you favors. And you've already said profits are terrible lately."

Gustav grimmaced with each sentence that came out of her mouth. Frustrated and annoyed with her unintentional insults, he was about to speak up when she continued onwards.

"Hear me out on this. Though I've only known you for a day, I know that you're tailor-made to be a merchant--a very good one." She smiled somewhat uneasily, "But you were right, there are many factors working against you here. It isn't only the economy, but it's the fact you don't have many wares to sell... your list of contacts grows shorter... and above all--I can tell you've been depressed about it all, and a merchant with a negative attitude is no merchant at all." She looked him dead in the eyes, "You need a fresh start, and quite honestly, I want to help you towards that end."

The Business Scrub glared at her quizzically. Needless to say, he was not completely thrilled about her proposal, and skeptical of every word, "...What exactly are you proposing? What would be in it for you?"
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Ruby let out a bit of a smile, knowing his response at this point was far from a no. She had her foot in the door, she realized, and now she just had to pry it open. Her position shifted as she leaned across the table, words filled with gusto, "Impa. A new city where you can be one of the first merchants available. With so little competition, much less with the experience you have, customers there will quickly learn your name, and remember it well as you expand alongside the city itself. Traders will come to you, searching for someone to help sell their products on the marketfront..."

"Yes, yes, I know the benefits of that--but why are you so interested in helping me? As you yourself said, we just met today."

"Mr. Grimm," Ruby returned to leaning back in her chair, "I'm not sure how this might sound to someone who has traveled across Hyrule, but all my life I've never truly left Castle-Town. The closest I've ever gotten to another city is seeing Lon Lon Ranch miles in the distance. The tome you gave me," she patted it with the flat of her palm, "Reminded me how displeased I am with that fact. I want to see the world, not simply spend nights reading about it. All I ask in return is that you let me protect you on your travels there, and be the one person I trust when I first arrive in Impa. It is always best to have a friend in a new place, is what they say..."

Gustav's eyes widened, before abruptly moving off to the night sky, "Let me think about it for a while..." It was quite the proposal. He would essentially be abandoning his life here on a complete gamble, but as she herself pointed out, it seemed as though he had so little left here to lose.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

He chuckled quietly to himself, quickly realizing she had not merely been reading that book all day. No, it seemed she had thought this out even more than it seemed. Perhaps it was in the best interest of both of them... "How soon can we set out?"

"Tomorrow morning," Ruby nearly exclaimed. "The Guard is eager to get soldiers out to Impa asap, so it will be no problem for me to get relocated there, particularly if I provide my own transportation."

"Your own transportation?"

"A mare by the name of Emerald has been in my care for several years now," her response was as quick as a whip, "She would make the journey easy for the both of us."

"...Mm." Gustav smirked to himself. This was all so bold it seemed ridiculous, but simultaneously, it was quite exciting, "Where should I meet you?"

"Outside the watchtower will be fine," she was smiling quite eagerly now, apparently of the notion that this was the best idea anyone had every had in the history of Hyrule. "Shall Emerald and I wait for you at sunrise?"

"I'll be there," the words came firmly. "I do apologize, however, that you will need to walk home tonight after all. Obviously, I have quite a few things to take care of tonight..."

"Very well," Ruby arose from her seat with a start, her face beaming. "Good night to you, Mr. Grimm!" She excitedly scurried off, almost forgetting to ritualistically rest her left hand upon the hilt of her longsword as she did so.

"Good night..." Gustav mumbled after her. Indeed, there was much to do, and the watchtower was such a distance from his shop. He wondered if he would even sleep at all tonight... Perhaps it was too rash of a decision, but he decided to stick with it. With a moonbeam shining down upon him, the Scrub hopped out of his chair and strode across the now mostly-vacant sea of the merchant district, headed directly towards the Grimm Emporium itself.

(Role-play continued here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=203)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.