Lost of faith in the Golden Goddesses

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by tlozbj, Jun 3, 2013.

1. tlozbj

tlozbj New Member new

Lost of faith in the Golden Goddesses

[​IMG]

From The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia we learn that a timeline where Link was defeat exists. In this timeline the faith in the Golden Goddesses seem to have diminished. Their symbols are less prominent and catholic symbols seem to be all over Hyrule. Some ALttP artwork also show Link praying in front of a crucifix, as seen in the image above.

The reasons for which the faith in the Golden Goddesses was lost or have diminished is unknown. Though there is two very likely possibilities/answer.

1. The Hylian took the dead of he HoT and Ganon obtaining the Triforce as a Divine prank

2. The diminishment of the Hylian Blood could had cause the dissapearance of many Hylian culture since alot of the people are humans, not Hylians/Skloftians.

The 2nd being the most likely. Since the "humans" would surely not follow the Hylian religion and bring their own, similar to the conquistadors in our own world. Little by little the Hylian blood thin to it only being the Royal family, Link's family and the maidens, for the time of AoL, Link is he only Hylian left. Though the Royal Family may still have Hylian Blood, since they are the descendants of Mortal Hylia. If those are indeed the only Hylians left it is not strange that faith was lost fast and easily.

Though a Golden Era came to Hyrule's history where the the kingdom recovered land, returning to its former glory of Hyrule, Land of the Gods. But like every moment of peace in Hyrule, it rapidly ended, with The Tragedy of Sleeping Zelda. Then Hyrule losed more territory and Ganon returned. Though it seems that some faith was recovered for the towns in the Era of Decline to be named after the sages who sealed Ganon.

But the faith in the Golden Goddesses was completely/majorly lost in that timeline. What happens after AoL with the religion of the GG it is unknown...

Catholic/christian references in the Decline Timeline:

In the Decline timeline, many religious references are made. Some of them are:

1. The sanctuary in ALttP was originally a church and the sage that resides in the temple was originally called a priest.

2. The cross/crucifix have appeared in many different places in the DT. For example, Link's shield, a item in AoL and in the third reference, the bible which will be listed below.

Cross from AoL:

[​IMG]

Cross in Link's shield:

[​IMG]

3. The bible. The bible makes a appearance in the original Zelda. Though it was called the Book of Magic in America.

The bible with the cross present in it:

[​IMG]

Opinions?
  2. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

It's an interesting idea, but I have one nitpick about it. Why, if this is a result of human culture overtaking Hylian culture, are there no signs of this human culture present in other games with significant human populations, such as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess?
  3. tlozbj

tlozbj New Member new

Difference here is, that the Hylian race have mainly gone extinct, with a few specimens remaining, like the Royal Family, Link and his Uncle, and the Descendant of the Sages. In TP, the Hylian Race is still going strong, and humans are mainly in Ordon. In WW, alot of the wisdom on Hyrule, was lost during the ages after the Great Flood, the main people who still believe/have some moderate knowledge on the GG are those who have the pearls, while the other people just go with what the HoT legend says, that there are Gods that will help them in times of need, and so Christianity hae not been able to usurp the religion of Hyrule. In the DT this does not happen, since there is no HoT legend to say, since the HoT didn't win the battle, he died and the Demon King was able to get the Triforce.
  4. Aurelia

Aurelia unreliable and clumsy new

3DS Friend Code:
    3325-1925-7295
    Honestly, as you pointed out, there is religion in a few of the Zelda games. It is strongly seen in a few of them, (hence the cross on a few of the items, but I honestly thought it was for mostly design, not an actual thought). As you progress deeper onto the games and look, (I did a little research myself) they all have different beliefs. I honestly think that the Hylians do worship a god or goddess but they mostly look over Nayru, Din, and Farore.
    When looking at pictures, (I was trying to see images of OoT and MM gravestones for crosses to make some comparison) I noticed this one:
    [​IMG]
    The Lost Woods here in LoZ looks like a sideways cross. I don't know if in the first game they were trying to force Christianity down our throats by doing this, or that is just the game place design.

And I also seen this:
    [​IMG]
    Ending in Twilight Princess, it does show 3 women portraying as goddess of the Realm, (Farore, Nayru, and Din) but it could also be some type of other goddess that they are representing for.

If anything, a few of these games do suspect a hint of religion in different ways, but it could be the same or different, I honestly don't know.