Litonium (Open) (Review)

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

`Litonium
    Original: Tsubori, Magic-Tier - Material
    [Material]

10 rupees a brick

This smooth black metal can be used by an individual with a profession that is capable of crafting magic-tier items. When used as a material, a brick of Litonium will create items that will have their weight cut down to a quarter when in use, but has the same durability as normal steel. Once released or removed, the weight of the item returns to normal. When creating an item made of Litonium, it is necessary to calculate the weight of the metal portion of the item before any weight removal, divide it by the weight of a bar of Litonium (5 lbs.), and multiply that number by 10 for the cost in rupees.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I'm mostly worried about how this will work with other magic-tier matierals; specifically, Goron Iron. If one of the drawbacks to GI is its weight, I don't want people mixing Litonium into their weapons to counteract it.
  3. Tsubori

So could I add an effect saying it can't be mixed with any other materials? Additionally, why is this not an issue that is looked at with any other materials? A cold iron goron iron mix makes a nigh on invincible suit of armor.

EDIT: Upon further pondering, as opposed to forcing every material to do dances around Goron Iron, because that seems to always be what it comes back to, why not give GI the effect that it may not be combined with anything? Prevents a lot of annoyance down the line, and as I said, Litonium and Goron iron is no more powerful than Cold Goron iron
  4. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Tsu, the problem with that is that at least one material (Splinter Crystal) is designed to work with Goron Iron, otherwise it's almost useless; not to mention me, and probably at least a few others, had plans to make items of goron iron combined with another material. So that should really be a last resort, if an option at all.
  5. Tsubori

In the past, "Because I've got plans" has been disregarded as a point. No reason it shouldn't be here.
  6. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Because in this case I've already got the Goron iron base, pretty much part of the treasure which is now worth that much less. Wouldn't make much more sense for her to have a Litonium, cold iron armor, especially cause she's supposed to be a tank-ish character and is currently without magical protection? So then she would have good protection from both magic and physical attacks.

So she'd have to start from scratch essentially throwing away a 60 rupee treasure at the end, cause there's no way they'd stack; something when I had no way of knowing when I made her.

To me anyway, this would be like declaring potions non-canon after getting alchemy.
  7. Quill

I'm not really sure what's going on here. Please bear in mind that it is perfectly possible for materials to be mixed; however, this can only be done by a PC blacksmith at the required Profession level. Before you ask, yes; it must be a PC blacksmith. If an NPC was capable of doing things otherwise unique to the Blacksmith Profession, there would be no reason for the Blacksmith Profession to exist.

Also, Raz; Tsu is quite right. Personal plans for future treasures or treasure combinations are not valid reasons for said treasures to be passed, because if they were, Treasure Creation would be nothing more than "this is good because I want it."

Please remember that this is a thread geared solely towards the official review of the "Litonium" treasure and its potential position in the Library of Treasures. Discussion of the validity of other treasures or another RPer's personal plans is to be kept somewhere else.

Tsu, your suggestion about Goron Iron is interesting. It's definitely made us think. We'll post again when we come to a decision. Thanks for all your patience.
  8. Quill

Is Litonium's effect magical? That is; is it simply lighter than normal steel yet still as strong, or does it have a magical lightening effect on whatever it's mixed with?
  9. Tsubori

I'd say the latter. Think of it as the opposite of iron boots. Only when worn are they light.
  10. Quill

So, I pretty much just compiled everything into this. However, I don't think the "when in use" and the last bit are really needed. I mean, if the weight-reduction affect only comes into play when in use, what's the point in having it heavy other times?

`Litonium
    Original: Tsubori, Magic Tier - Utility
    [Material]

15 rupees

This smooth, black metal can be used in crafting by a player-character with a level in the Crafting treasure. The weight of items created with Litonium will be reduced to 1/4 when in use; however, the steel-like durability of Litonium will not be affected. This weight-reduction affect is only active when the item is in use; once released or removed, the weight of the item returns to normal.
  11. Tsubori

Looks good to me. And the heavy effect is great for when you need to apply force onto something. If you need to hold down a switch, the item would return to a heavier weight when released.
  12. Quill

Ahh, I see. So, the lightening effect could be activated/deactivated at will. How heavy is it normally? It should be at least as heavy as standard steel, I think. I just threw in a "W=2(standard steel)" but if you have any preferences...

`Litonium
    [Material]

15 rupees

This smooth black metal can be used in crafting by a player-character with a level in the Crafting treasure. The user can activate its magical properties at will, reducing it to 1/4 of its original weight. The durability of the metal, that of standard steel, is not affected. When this magical property is not active, the metal weighs approximately twice the amount of standard steel.
  13. Tsubori

Yeah; it's natural weight is identical to steel.
  14. Quill

Ah, I see. This seems a pretty useful material, so unless another staffer thinks this is broken... [1/2]

`[uLitonium[/u]
    [Material]

15 rupees

This smooth black metal can be used in crafting by a player-character with a level in the Crafting treasure. The user can activate its magical properties at will, reducing it to 1/4 of its original weight. The durability of the metal, that of standard steel, is not affected. When this magical property is not active, the metal weighs the same as standard steel.
  15. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

1/4th of the original weight, even as steel, strikes me as a bit much. That's... really light, even for temporary use. Just as likely to hurl whatever it is out of your hands.

1/2th sounds much more reasonable, and far more manageable and easier to visualize for roleplay.
  16. Quill

Tsu, are you fine with this?

`Litonium
    [Material]

15 rupees

This smooth black metal can be used in crafting by a player-character with a level in the Crafting treasure. The user can activate its magical properties at will, reducing it to 1/2 of its original weight. The durability of the metal, that of standard steel, is not affected. When this magical property is not active, the metal weighs the same as standard steel.
  17. Tsubori

Sure, why not?
  18. Quill

This seems like a pretty straight-forward, useful material. Unless someone else believes this to be broken or OP, this looks fine. Since its use goes beyond simple utility, and since Materials aren't really cheap anymore, I upped the pricing a little. [1/2]

`Litonium
    [Alteration], [Material]

30 rupees

This smooth black metal can be used in crafting by a player-character with a level in the Crafting treasure. The user can activate its magical properties at will, reducing it to 1/2 of its original weight. The durability of the metal, that of standard steel, is not affected. When this magical property is not active, the metal weighs the same as standard steel.
  19. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Unless there are further complaints, this is approved. Just remember that if you reduce the weight of something it will also reduce the mass of it. Swords that weigh half as much will do less damage and such.

Regardless, approved.