Lightning Weave Cloth

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Spirit Adept, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Name: Lightning Weave Cloth

P/W/C Type: None - Mundane cloth material

Appearance: Dark yellow fabric that feels like cotton

Description of Function: Material for making clothing that is immune to electricity. While it doesn't transfer this immunity to the wearer, it does help protect them against exposure to electricity. It's especially good at protecting against lightning magic.

Limitations: Does not protect user from intentionally touching something electrified with their bare hands, if exposed to too much electricity the cloth's insulation will be overwhelmed and the wearer will end up getting electrocuted. Cannot be woven into other kinds of cloth. Requires one bolt of cloth per shirt or pants, two bolts of cloth for robes.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I'm no physics major, but I feel like we may have to get slightly more specific with something like this. Do you think we could explain this effect by saying that when electricity strikes this cloth it dissolves the currents, effectively absorbing/nullifying them? I like the idea, it's wording it in a reasonable way that may be challenging.
  3. Spirit Adept

That's pretty much what I intended for how it would work. It works like a rubber sheet, just without having the texture of one. Most electrical currents wouldn't be able to overcome the electrical resistance (resistance in terms of electrical science, not in terms of video game elemental resistances) the cloth provides and would just leave behind a bit of heat where the electrical energy was absorbed.
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I'm thinking that the "does not transfer this immunity to anything else" covers that, unless you want a clause about "does not work for intentional electrocutions."

Basically, how's this?

`Lightning Weave Cloth
    Original: Spirit Adept, Magic Tier - Utility
    [Electric], [Material], [Protect]

20 rupees

This dark yellow, cotton-like fabric may be used in crafting by a player-character with a sufficiently-related level in the Crafting treasure. This material is like rubber in that it is largely immune to electricity; however, it doesn't transfer this immunity to the wearer. Unless the electrical current is particularly strong, though, this cloth will block it. This makes it especially good at protecting the wearer from lightening-based magic. This cloth cannot be woven with other [Material] treasures.
  5. Spirit Adept

Sounds good to me.
  6. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

[1/2] Ribs, are you fine with the price? I've just been using 20r as an automatic pricing for the Materials; it's not like there's been any real reasoning on my part with the prices so far.
  7. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I think 20 is pretty satisfactory for most of these materials that have no real other alternatives but cannot be combined with other materials either. 2/2--approved