Lens of Truth Augment?

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by samusbot, Nov 12, 2013.

1. samusbot

samusbot Member new

"The affected creature need not be aware of this effect and cannot willingly negate it unless they too, have a Lens of Truth or similar effect."

I honestly can not think of any reason that someone would want to negate the Communal effect on themselves. Unless the intention is to allow someone to negate the effect on other people, this last bit of the augment is completely pointless!
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Not necessarily. If there were a future illusion treasure that, for instance, had beneficial effects rather than detrimental, they may want to negate the communal effect.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

The lens lets you see the truth, but the truth isn't always pretty. The last sentence is composed of two parts: being forced to see the truth without realizing it, and not being able to see illusions they could otherwise see.

For the first part: If a Hylian peasant normally sees a beautiful fairy and doesn't suspect an illusion, the cunning wielder of the Lens could force the Hylian to see through the illusion of the "fairy"--revealing that she's actually a hideous Stalfos. All this could be done without the Lens-wielder making his presence known.

For the second part: Someone might not want to be forced to see the hideous face that would be hidden by Actor's Illusion; if an illusion is used to point out the right path, the affected individual might be hindered by not being able to see it; if they create illusions as with Handheld Illusion, their illusions might be less accurate or convincing if they can't see what they're doing; etc.

I realize these reasons are extremely niche, but are worth noting for the rare time those niche uses come up. I try to never underestimate how uniquely a player will use a treasure; after all, Tsu wanted to fuse Roc's Cape and Deku Leaf into one item; others have thought of countless ways to use Goron Iron in insane ways; even Bombs have been thrown skyward to a Rito, causing no direct damage, but creating enough wind nearby that the Rito lost "balance" and had its spell interrupted. So, I try to accomodate niche uses like that. That said, if someone else posts here agreeing with you, then I'll go about removing it.

EDIT: Sorry if this seemed ranty. Also, what Will said.
  4. samusbot

samusbot Member new

Given how your talking about Communal, I can assume that you can not "pick and choose" what illusions you and others around can see?

I noticed that the Lens of Truth only dispels visual illusions, but there are none that dispel other types of illusions, such as Ventriloquism which produces a sound based illusion.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'd assume the controller can, but others cannot. I'll edit in that clarification. Otherwise you're definitely right, the bit at the end makes no sense.

Hmm. That's true. What do you recommend? Do you think we should expand the effect of the Lens/Cross to cover any forms of illusion?
  6. samusbot

samusbot Member new

I think having it simpler is better, instead of creating even more super specific treasures.
    Does a user remain aware of any illusions while they are utilizing the Lens of Truth? (being able to tell where they are, whether they are still in effect, etc...)

Side note: The three rightmost Circle Button links are wrong on the Lore, Maps, Affiliations and About pages.
    From right to left, they still link to the old Character Creation, Timeline and Tutorials pages.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

So, alright, I'll just say it applies to "illusions" without specifying visual.

That will persist if your browser's cache hasn't been cleared. If you try to open them in a different browser, for instance, they should work properly.
  8. samusbot

samusbot Member new

Nope it's still doing the same thing even though I cleared the cache.
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...Hm. If so, that doesn't explain how I'm able to open these links properly in Chrome, IE, and Safari. If you hadn't already done a hard refresh (which is ctrl+F5 in most browsers), then try that. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Anyway, I've made the appropriate edits to the Lens of Truth.