Just Business (Will+Guy)

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by WillowtheWhisp, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    It was sweltering hot that day, as the sun beat down upon the citizens of Nabooru, and the heat seemed to suck all life out of them, even the children. Even so, they were glad, for it was a welcome change from the bitter cold that had plagued them for just weeks before. It seemed that whatever evil magic had caused the bitter, and uncharacteristic winter to fall upon Hyrule had fled the land, though the people were blissfully unaware of the sacrifices necessary to make it so. Boris shook his head, letting some of the moisture, perspiration really, that had collected on his head leaves fall to the ground. Walking through the town, he waved and smiled the hot, but nevertheless cheerful people.

"Don't forget to drink lots of water! Wouldn't want to get heat stroke!" Boris called out to some kids, who, despite their griping, did what they were told. Most of them had come to Boris at least once in their short lives, and none of them had regretted listening to his advice, so even while they complained on their way to the well, each of them was glad that the Deku was there. Boris smiled contentedly as he watched the run along. "What good kids." He said to himself, nodding his head, rather his entire body, slightly.

"You're a good guy, Doc, watching out for all of us." A gruff voice spoke from behind. Boris turned around and looked up instinctively, and for a moment he was blinded by the sun. Once his eyes adjusted, though, he saw that it was a muscular, middle-aged man, and despite his gruff appearance, Boris knew him to be a jovial man. "Well, I wouldn't be a very good doctor if I didn't." Boris smiled widely, the two laughing together. "Well, I gotta get back to repairing these roofs, so take it easy, Doc." Patting Boris on the head fondly, the man walked off with an armful of thatching into the distance. Chuckling and shaking his head, Boris couldn't help but wonder what made the Hylian treat him almost like a kid, though he was older than most in the village.

"Ah, well, might as well get to work myself, then." Humming a tune to himself, Boris began his trek towards the outskirts of Nabooru.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Soft hoofbeats could be heard trotting across a path of scattered stones leading out of Nabooru.

"Jeez," Ruby said with a sigh, "I was expecting to leave earlier in the day... Even when I was finished taking care of Emerald--" she stopped a moment as she abruptly guided the mare in question towards the left path of a fork--"and polishing my armor, you were still talking to that wizard fellow."

"Now, now, it's nothing to get upset about... I had to get the best price." A deku scrub's words came from behind her, his back to hers. As the two of them discussed, it would be his duty to watch their rear this time, lest the three be effortlessly ambushed by mere birds again.

"I understand that, but I don't know how he managed to bare hearing your voice for... how many hours was it, even." Ruby's eyes navigated the forest, judging the shadows falling beneath the trees, hoping the approximate direction of 'Northeast' would get them to their destination.

There was a smirk in Gustav's words as they returned to her, "You managed to do it for two days straight." He chuckled softly, "But in all fairness... he was one of my kind. We haggle until our throats hurt, and little is more exciting to us than getting the best deal. There was also the matter of procuring the optimal position of the portal, getting the correct spell ingredients, and syncing it up with the previous portal in Castle Town..."

The hylian loosed a soft breath, almost a sigh, as she gave a bit of a nod. She hindered saying anymore, as she realized her voice was beginning to sound like that of a whining child--although Gustav was definitely an interesting fellow, she did rather dislike how her more embarrassing tendencies began to show around those whom she felt most at ease. Truly, it is hard for someone like her to be at all threatened by a friendly little blob of wood that can barely hold a bow.

...The picture brought to mind couldn't help but bring a slight smile to her lips, "Alright then. It's already late in the morning, so we may not be able to reach Impa in a day... If it comes to that, you'll have to help me make camp, alright?"

If Gustav had an eyebrow, it would have been raised at the knight's sudden change of attitude. Nonetheless, he gave a slight nod of his body, "I'll do what I can," despite having never actually camped in the wild himself.

Shortly after he did so, his glowing orange eyes passed another form not unlike his strolling down the same path. The oddly familiar creature now behind the trio, Gustav raised an arm towards him, "Where are you headed...?" A slightly surprised expression was laid across his face to realize another Deku Scrub was in the area, let alone a one with a body just as bulbous as his.

(Oh din, Guy is actually role-playing on HC again. Everyone, hide your children.)
  3. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    There was a good deal that he had to gather from the nearby woods. Witch's Bane, Old Man's Beard, Chamomile... The list went on, and as he went down it, Boris' feet already began to ache just thinking about how long it would take him. "Probably won't get back until dusk..." He muttered, stooping for a moment, and taking a second to jot his list down into his metal-bound tome. Removing it from his back, shrugging off one of its straps, he unbuckled it and quickly removed a quill and ink from his pack. "Better get this in here before I forget. Now what was it again...? Chamomile...." Picking up the book and holding it in one hand, he balanced the book and inkwell precariously as he continued walking forwards, not even bothering to look ahead.

So engrossed was Boris with reciting the list of herbs he had to gather, that he never even noticed the two travelers until they were already upon him, assaulting him with a question. Boris visibly jumped, squeaked, and dived into a nearby bush, his bright eyes shining from behind its leaves, looking down at his momentarily forgotten book, which had crashed to the ground. He breathed a sigh of relief to see that the ink had gone into the dirt of the road, rather than into his journal. Shaking, so much so that the bush itself was shaking too, Boris tried for a moment to speak. "H-h-h-hello." He barely managed to stutter out. Now that Boris could see assailants, he saw that it was merely a Hylian and a Deku... A Deku! Oh god, why here! I thought they'd stop bothering me if I went as far away as possible! Boris practically screamed out in his inner thoughts. "Must.... act natural." Boris gasped out quietly, his voice obscured by the trembling of the bush.

Pulling the bush tighter around himself, Boris tried to flatten himself upon the ground, all the while pulling up against its roots. "I'm sorry, but we're not open for business today! Please come back later during normal business hours!" His high pitched voice coming out from beneath the shrub. Removing the bush ever so slightly from the ground, he crawled forward, extended forth a hand, and yanked his book under his leafy shroud.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"Another Business Scrub?" Ruby glanced over her shoulder, halting Emerald for a second. "I haven't seen one of those since Castle-Town..." Despite the peculiarity, her voice was full of disinterest, only stopping because she was sure another one of these fellows would invariably be of Gustav's interest.

Ignoring his companion for a moment, Gustav's head tilted slightly at the peculiar sight. Seeing the fellow jump like that was one thing, but, "Why would a store be closed midday? ...And be literally in the middle of the road?" He realized he was butting in on matters best left unchecked, but when he was about to dismiss his suspicions, they had already passed onto Ruby, who was abruptly keen on the situation herself.

Emerald was abruptly turned about, and Ruby's cold glare diced into the quivering Scrub's hide, "You're acting suspicious, little one..." Clearly, her sense of justice was coursing through her veins as her voice hardened in a heartbeat. Whenever one crew this cowardly, and was this suspicious, she realized only a fool couldn't see what was going on. The creature had seen her armor, the armor of the hyrulean guard, and grown fearful... and if he was so terrified of it, then clearly either he was guilty of an illegal act, or knew such a criminal. "Explain yourself. Now." Her hand rested casually upon her blade, more for the purposes of intimidation than intent. She would never strike down an unarmed citizen... especially one so harmlessly terrified.
  5. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Even as scared as he was, Boris still managed to find time to consider the fact that the two travelers didn't seem to have actively sought him out; rather, it had been just a chance meeting on the road, and not his family sending their goons to harass him. "Y-y-you mean my mother didn't send you?" He asked tentatively, still wary of the two, though the shaking of the bush had stopped. Still, he had yet to emerge from the green shrub, continuing to peer out at the two, rather frightening, people. Boris breathed out a heavy sigh of relief, though, he still looked at the other Deku rather oddly. "But, you're still from the Association, though...?" Boris continued, not failing to notice Gustav's shrewd sense, especially when it came to running a business.

Stepping out from the leaves, Boris brushed at his "hair", sending cobwebs, sticks, and leaves falling to the ground. Adjusting his goggles so they sat more rightly upon his face, he looked up at the mounted Hylian, just now realizing how truly small he was in comparison. He gulped. "I... I suppose I do owe you an explanation, after that.... display. You see, I come from a family of Business Scrubs, quite wealthy ones in fact. But, I never quite was cut out for it, so I've always lived a fairly meager life, by their standards. When my father died, he bequeathed to me all of the rupees he'd saved, because to him, it seemed I needed them the most." Boris scratched at his head, and it was quite clear that he was reliving past days, his eyes looking through the Hylian and her horse, and off into the distance.

Snapping from his reverie, he returned his gaze to the woman. "In short, I took only a small portion for myself, and gave the rest to my family. But my mother, and my brothers, seem to be under the impression that I didn't give them the full sum of their "rightful inheritance", and that I must be hiding some of it away. They... They are particularly fond of sending people here harass me, and I'd thought that perhaps they'd bribed a Castle Town guard this time. I really am sorry for the misunderstanding." He laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head. "In any case," Boris began again, before they could interject, while stooping low and closing his tome, "I really must be going. There is much I must do, in those woods over there." He said rather vaguely, and offhandedly, shutting his book and re-strapping it over his shoulders. With that, he started off towards the trees at a brisk, perhaps too brisk, pace.
  6. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"Yes," Gustav responded partway through his fellow Scrub's explanation, "I'm a Business Scrub, and technically therefore part of the Association. It's always come quite naturally to me, though, this line of trade..."

Ruby stayed mostly quiet, examining the little fellow as he spoke out his tale, eyes slightly narrowed as if discerning every word. Only after he was through and began scurrying away did she move her steed towards him. "We're headed in that direction as well... Gustav, there's room back there, isn't there?" Her elbow was sent gently into his side.

"...Not exactly," he silently shot her a glare the other one didn't see. Of almost anyone else, he would be shocked to see her so easily believe the tale. Making himself the victim of his own generous actions--it was such a cliché in tales proclaiming innocence. In Gustav's eyes, Ruby was nonetheless was the gullible, if good-natured type who would probably believe a man with a bloody hand watched a civilian trip and fall on a rusty dagger. Even so... this one was of his kind, and he didn't even seem capable of actually hurting anyone directly. "...But I was looking for an excuse to get off my rump. Riding a horse is surprisingly difficult on the arse, even with a saddle."

With that said, the Business Scrub gave the propellers on his melon a twirl and was abruptly floating in the air above the Hylian and her mare. He offered a glance down towards the wooden one, "...I'd suggest you take her offer," he chuckled softly, "lest you have a particularly strong taste for steel."

Ruby just glared at him in silence, before again looking down to the one below. This one didn't appear capable of flying as Gustav did, so she leaned down with an outstretched hand and an offered smile--the sort of warm smile that could light up one's soul; the gentle but beautiful sort that she was famous for back home in Castle Town.
  7. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "Uhm... Okay." Boris replied tentatively, particularly frightened by the proposition of steel being shoved into his mouth. That wasn't Boris' idea of a fun time, especially if the offender was twice his height and on a horse. Grabbing her hand gingerly, as if handling a snake, the small Deku was swiftly yanked up onto the equine beast, who didn't even seem to notice the addition of another being. Looking up at the floating Deku, he spoke. "You're right, this doesn't seem particularly comfortable. I'm Boris, by the way." He said, ruefully, shifting around uncomfortably on the hard leather.

Looking off into the woods, he wondered if the horse would be able to traverse the more difficult terrain. He voiced his worries to the rider in front of him. "I'm far more used to walking in the woods on foot," he explained, "so I suppose I wouldn't really know what it would be like to ride a horse in there anyways... Actually, I just don't know much about riding either way." With that, rather embarrassed by his lack of knowledge and his attempt at appearing as if he knew anything about horses at all, he decided to shut up about it. He clutched at the sides of the saddles with his hands, wondering when the horse would start moving forward, and if he would even survive the ride.
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"I'm Ruby," the Hylian said to him with a smile, making sure to omit her last name, "and the one up ahead is Gustav Grimm. We're travelling to Impa, actually." With that, she turned towards the forest ahead of them. Conveniently, their approximate destination and the direction Boris began to scurry seemed to be one in the same.

All it took was a slight maneuvering of Ruby's feet, and Emerald began a gingerly trot through the forest in the general direction of east. Even so, the Hylian's brow furrowed over the passenger behind him. "I'm offering the ride since we were both going in the same direction." Her voice was tempted to sigh, but she held it in, perhaps at the unintentional risk of her following words sounding rude, "If you'd rather walk, you're more than welcome to do so..."

She wanted to ease the fellow and be friendly, as if to make up for... the earlier suspicions. But it seemed her first impression was the one which mattered most, and at this point, perhaps the only one that was even factored in to his impression of her. If such was the case, then perhaps become friends with this one was a lost cause. With another hidden sigh, she decided to bring him to his destination as she had offered, until such a time he made other wishes clear. After all, Ruby assumed, she was probably over thinking the matter...

Her eyes moved towards Gustav, who was busy floating a short distance ahead, as if he was guiding them despite perhaps having the least idea about where they were actually headed. As if on cue, he asked with a glance backwards, "Boris, were you headed to any particular area of the forest...?" In truth, he cared little of the other Scrub now, and was more preoccupied with simply getting to their destination before sundown.

(Huzzah for a lame and uninspired post? :yomp:)
  9. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "There are several places that I need to go to within the forest, as the plants I am looking for grow in various places. The first, however, is relatively close to the entrance, and you are welcome to drop me off there." Boris paused. "You see, I am the doctor for the nearby town, and most of the herbs that I use to treat them are found in this forest." He explained. As he spoke, he seemed to relax slightly, becoming more and more comfortable as his mind wandered to other things. Shaking his head sadly, he continued. "Unfortunately, the recent blizzards caused a lot of damage, not only to the village, but to the forest as well, so I'm honestly crossing my fingers that the herbs I'm looking for are even there, and are ready to be harvested."

"So, in short, thank you for giving me a ride. It saves me a lot of valuable time, that I would rather be spending looking for the various plants." Boris ended, realizing that he was ranting for no apparent reason, once again. He twiddled his thumbs, not really sure what else to say. He was never usually this nervous, but something about the two seemed to leave him disoriented and unsure of himself, as if everything he said seemed silly and childish. I wonder why? he thought to himself, genuinely perplexed by his situation.
  10. Guy

Guy Admin admin

As Ruby inhaled and begin to speak, her voice was abruptly interrupted by Gustav's, "Giant rampaging Dodongo, 4'oclock."

"What?!" Ruby blinked as her voice spat with shock, almost disbelieving him as she her blonde hair whisked over her shoulder to see a tree sundered as the colossal armored lizard galloped in their general direction, its four weighty legs pounding the forest floor. "You can't be serious!!"

Emerald was neighed into high gear as the three if them shot forward through the forest, Ruby's head lowered to pass under the rushing air as her free hand shot hold to heave the floating Gustav along behind her. She didn't need to glance back to hear the thunderous feet. It was even pursuing them, perplexing her behind belief. What had they done to wrong it, she pondered, there's no way it would have territory so close to the village!

"It's chasing us!" She shouted over the rushing wind, "I don't suppose either of you had some bombs you forgot to mention?!" Her eyes glared forward, focusing on evading the trunks of trees, weaving between them as Emerald leaped over the underbrush. She had forgotten that to such creatures, however, a Dodongo's primary weakness might not be immediately apparent...

...Meanwhile, Gustav was still trying to clamber onto Emerald as the steed rushed forth, one little wooden hands struggling to find something to hang onto, as the other dug into his satchel.
  11. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Boris shivered for a moment from the shock, as the realization of what was occurring hit him like a tidal wave. It seemed for a moment as if he might wet himself, but thankfully he regained control of his bladder... at least for now. That said, he still wasn't entirely able to handle the situation. "A D-d-d-d-dodongo?" His eyes widened as he turned to look at the lumbering beast, that could easily crush the three of them beneath their weight. In the entire forest, he had never seen a dodongo before; hell, he'd just never seen a dodongo. But he knew of them, and the massive destruction they could cause, even alone. He did not, however, know of their weaknesses to bombs, and so, when Ruby asked if either of the two Deku happened to have a bomb on hand, he was at a loss for an answer. Why does she want a bomb...? He wondered, but only for a split second, for he did not have the time nor the luxury of letting his mind wander.

"Why do you want a bomb?!" Boris yelled out the question to Ruby, hoping her answer would be swift. If their lives depended on them procuring some type of explosive, Boris might be able to help, though he'd need some time, for sure. He grabbed out with one hand, grabbing Gustav as tightly as he could manage. It seemed that his fellow Deku was rummaging through a satchel, and it was all Boris could do, but to hope that whatever he was looking for, that it would save the three of them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.