Jon of the House of Augustus

Discussion in 'Accepted Characters' started by Idarian, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Idarian

Idarian Imperator of Known Space reg

Name: Jon of the House of Augustus, Sergeant-at-Arms of the Northern Blades Regiment of the Hylian Army

Race: Hylian

Place of Origin: Hyrule Castle-Town

PWC: 3/1/3

Treasures:
    Sense
    Spin Attack
    Mount

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 185lbs

Equipment: Jon is a heavily equipped soldier of Hyrule, wielding a warhammer, a broadsword, a large, rectangular shield, and wearing a full coat of heavy, steel mail.

Jon' war-hammer is a deadly weapon with a durable, oak shaft. This weapon measures nearly four feet in length, and weighs approximately 4.8 pounds. The head of the weapon is crafted from fine, Death Mountain steel, and is reinforced by lengths of metal running along two sides of the shaft for one foot of the weapon's length. One side of the head is a blunt, crushing weapon, while the other side boasts a deadly, curved spike used to pierce armor and grapple foes, pulling them from their horses or otherwise dragging them to the ground. The head of the war-hammer features a series of linen strips displaying the colors of the Northern Blades Regiment.

Jon's next weapon is a longsword, crafted in the forges of Hyrule Castle-Town. In all, the weapon measures 3'7" and weighs approximately 2.8 pounds. Its blade is made of steel crafted from iron ore of the Northern Hills, and worked by the blacksmiths of Northern Hyrule. The sword's well-polished blade runs up to a cruciform hilt of similarly well-crafted steel, providing the framework for a comfortably-designed handle tapered to a degree that allows for excellent grip. This handle is wrapped in fine leather. At the center of the heavy, iron pummel is a stone of obsidian glass, as the weapon's one decorative feature. The hilt of Jon's sword is worn from extended use, as he would prefer it. A fresh blade, while beautiful, is wielded only by the extravagant young lord who has never seen a real battle. A blade that shows the wear and tarnish of years of combat is the only blade fit for a true warrior.

Jon has named his exquisite blade Fire-Brand, for the way the sunlight blazes from its polished steel in battle when the sun is high in the blue skies above.

As a last-resort, Jon keeps a long combat-knife with him at all times. The total length of the weapon is 14 inches, including a well-crafted, steel blade and an ivory grip shaped to fit well with the shape of a man's hand.

Jon's shield is a large rectangular shield, measuring four feet in height. Like Roman shields, it is curved, being about two feet across, but along the actual curve of the shield face, it measures almost three feet. The shield, itself, is made of a 6mm thick piece of cedar with a durable, steel frame and an iron boss in the center. The face of the shield is painted dark blue, and displays the crest of the Kingdom of Hyrule.

The basic component to Jon's heavy armor set is a hauberk of 8-in-2 mail, or, as it is more commonly known, king's mail. This hauberk of double-ringed chainmail includes full sleeves and extends down to just below Jon's knees. Over this mail coat is another layer of flexible, steel armor. This overcoat is a type of lamellar called klivanion (the type of lamellar worn by Byzantine soldiers in the Komnenian period), which is made, to put it simply, by making a coat of steel strips together and holding them with what is essentially a leather weaving underneath. Basically, lamellar is made by stitching steel strips together to make an advanced coat similar to scale mail.

This first coat of klivanion is without sleeves and serves as a flexible cuirass. In addition, this coat includes a lamellar fauld comprising four flaps: one over the front and back of each thigh. Jon also wears pauldrons made of klivanion, to allow for flexible arm movements.

Over his armor, he wears a white, cloth surcoat displaying the crest of the Royal family, as well as the crest of the Northern Blades.

His helmet is a barbute-style helm, featuring an added layer of thin, protective steel over the face. This face-plate is ornate and protective, as it is inlaid with bronze designs. At the top of the noseguard, in the center of the brow, is a small, gold triforce symbol, which is sprouting small, bronze-inlaid wings, similar in appearance to those of the bird in the Hylian Royal Coat-of-Arms.

In addition, he wears steel bracers on his forearms, mail-coated, cloth gloves, and steel greaves.

On his back, he wears a flowing, dark blue cloak, with a trim of gold lace.

Appearance: Jon is a proud, stern man with the features of a Southern Hylian. He has almost Nordic, blond hair and bright, green eyes that never seem to dull or show anything but courage. He has a wooly beard about his face and mouth, and a determined brow.

Personality: Jon is a fierce, unyielding warrior, a stern leader, a calm teacher, a valuable, caring friend, a noble, honorable citizen, and a personable, warm-hearted man.

In the field of battle, Jon does not seem to tire or waver. He does not shy from the battle that needs fighting, and, if he could, he would always be the last man standing.

In the training ground, he is a hard drill-master, and a stern, effective teacher of soldiers.

When in the tavern, he is a lively comrade-at-arms who knows how to hold his liquor.

When not a soldier, however, he is a kind-hearted, polite individual.

Residence: Hyrule Castle-Town, Barracks of the King's Blades Regiment

Pet: Baratheon, a brown courser with only light barding to allow easier travel. Baratheon wears a relatively small, bronze peytral, designed to protect the chest mainly by deflecting or, if possible, even stopping sword blows or pike thrusts. He also wears an open champron of fine steel for facial protection, which includes a small, spiked rondel. To protect his horse's hindquarters, Jon has Baratheon wear a croupiere of boiled leather. Baratheon is a horse from Jon's days with the cataphracts, and is used for travel and combat.

Backstory: Jon Augustus was born into a wealthy family in the thriving Southern town of Kakariko. His mother died giving birth to him, leaving his father, Cassius, and his older brother, Tiresius to look after him. His father was a captain of the Kakariko garrison, a wealthy man who was, at times, anything but loyal to the king. Cassius was a man always looking out for the good of the House of Augustus, and, often, he felt the King was working against such ends.

So, when Ganon launched his war against the south, Jon's father took the liberty of calling up the garrison of Kakriko to defend itself. So, the garrison of the south rose up to defend the city, and held out well indeed. However, in the last weeks of the siege, Ganon massed his most elite minions against the defenders. His Iron Knuckles smashed through the outer defenses of the city, and, before long, the defense was on its last legs. Cassius' plan never got off the ground.

Before the final battle, Cassius feared for his life, and sent his two sons to the north to carry on the bloodline of the Augustus House. While many refugees fled south to the Western Caves, Jon and Tiresius were among the refugees fleeing north, toward Castle-Town. Some of the soldiers that had fled the scene decided to make a stand with the Gorons, as they had seen the end coming, and decided to defend the realm of the King rather than a doomed city.

As it happened, the City of the Gorons was doomed as well, and many of the small group of Southern Hylians were killed. Tiresius was one corpse among them, and, before the final days, Jon fled, alone, to the city of the King of Hyrule.

At the beginning of the war, he was but 15. and was one of the young soldiers taking part in the defense of Kakariko, and, later, Goron City.

Having fled safely to the north, accompanied by many a Goron refugee, Jon enlisted with the Army of Hyrule. For seven years, Jon served with Cataphract heavy cavalry: heavily armored men riding lightly or unarmored horses. Eventually, however, Jon decided to join with the footsoldiers in the real thick of battle.

So, he joined up with Hyrule's heavy infantry, in a unit that would later be known as the Northern Blades. Since joining, he has become an honored, respected soldier and a Sergeant-at-Arms in the Regiment, acting as a training instructor in peacetime, and a skilled soldier in war. Though yet unfulfilled, Jon's ambitions are to one day be deemed worthy of joining the ranks of the King's very own personal contingent of elite guards.

While living in Hyrule Castle-Town, Jon married a beautiful young woman named Catherine, and fathered a son, Bran, who is now five.
  2. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I don't like how you keep referring to things as the king's army, or King's regiment etc... Change it to Hyrule, the King has his own personal task force but its not one members can be a part of at this time. Also, the part you said your household was next to the throne? No... Can't have that either. And your origin, its not one of the ones listed.
  3. Idarian

Well, I mean to say Cassius believed he was next to the throne, as many nobles of medieval Europe might have believed. I figure that adds a bit of tension between the houses, for purposes of plot, because the House of Augustus has a habit of thinking too highly of itself. But, I can change that if you want.

Also, shouldn't the army be run by the king? I assume there is a personal bodyguard for the king, like the Praetorian Guard of the Roman Emperor. So, I'm wondering, do you have a problem with the Regiment's nickname, or the fact that I suggest that it is part of the King's force rather than the regular army, because I meant the King's Blades as a regiment of the regular army in the same way that the 2nd Edwards VII's Own Gurkha Rifles was an Indian regiment in the British Army, but had no direct connection with the king in reality, nor did the 6th Queen Elizabeth's Own Gurkha Rifles had no actual direct connection with Queen Elizabeth.

Anyway, given that, I can certainly reword my paragraphs to avoid suggesting a participation in the King's personal contingent, and I can, though admittedly rather hesistantly, choose a new nickname for the regiment.

EDIT: Because Jon is technically a low-level noble of Hyrule and a vassal of the King, can I name him Sir Jon?
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

First off, Kakariko isn't a town of nobles, its a town of middle classmen. The nobles are all from Castle Town with few exceptions.

Second, the King does not run the army, sure he may make a decision here or there that the army carries out, but it isn't run by him.

Third, the Hyrule Castle Guard did not have anyone in Southern Hyrule, the History states that they are a northern force. Therefore, there would be no King's anything down there.

Fourth, it seems like you want to turn this into a type of King Arthurs Medieval thing when its not, this is Hyrule not Europe.
  5. Idarian

Ah, sorry. I thought this was, to some extent, to be modeled after Medieval Europe. I also was under the impression that Kakariko was, before the war, for all intents and purposes, a Southern equivalent of Castle-Town.

So... I have only one question left... The South did have an army, right? I mean, Cassius can still have been a captain of the soldiers in the south, right? Otherwise, Kakariko would have basically been held off by a peoples' militia, and from the history, it seems like they put up a better fight than that.

So, every fix but that is clear to me.

EDIT: Also, Southern Hyrule was ruled by the King, yes? Or was it its own nation?
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

It is, to SOME extent, similar to the Medieval times. However, a lot of what you've put in some of your characters are making it seem like a King Arthur role play with zelda names attached here and there. A lot of this is my fault haha, I am going to be writing a LOT about the setting and history of Hyrule that expounds upon what I've already written. While this is a Hyrule/medieval hybrid to an extent, I don't want the Medieval aspect overshadowing the zelda part. I like your characters a lot, don't get me wrong, its just I don't really like all of the things you have been fabricating for them. I realise the first one was a copy paste, but you are adding things that would have a major impact on the story of Hyrule, (Nations at the beginning, now entire armies etc...)

As for the Kakariko being equivalent to Castle Town, it was as in function, meaning it was the main source of military and political reign down there, and yes it did fall under the jurisdiction of the King of Hyrule. However, it was not near as big nor as sophisticated, Hyrule Castle-Town has been around for centuries, Kakariko village not near as much. While it is the biggest town of Southern Hyrule, it still pales in comparison to Castle Town. Again, this misunderstanding is my fault, as I have not made what is in my mind clear haha.

As for the Southern army, yes they had one. It was based out of Kakariko Village. They were not quite as numerous as the North's, but they did exist.
  7. Idarian

Thia is ready to go, I think.