John Nolan

Discussion in 'Accepted Characters' started by IgnitedRowlets, Apr 20, 2018.

1. IgnitedRowlets

IgnitedRowlets New Member new

Name: John Nolan
    Race: Hylian
    Place of Origin: Mido
    PWC: 1/3/3
    Treasures and Rupees:
    Perks

Magic Proficiency: Book of Mudora, Feather Fall.
    Compass
    Rupee Riches

Treasures

Calm Weather
    Distress Bead
    Float Clay
    Gibdo Mask
    Harvest Rings
    Magic Bean Supply

Rupees: 0

Equipment:

Wooden Staff: His main form of attack, John got a plank of wood that came in a shipment from the Lost Woods when he was 15, it has been reinforced so that it will be difficult to break in many situations. Its appearance is smooth and straight except for carvings he has made into it, three of them them are of the symbols of the goddesses on the middle above where he grips the staff in a circle, Din, Farore and Nayru, and there is the word understanding above them.

Journal: A book that he uses to log his days and put his thoughts down, John hopes that someone will someday read it and learn more about the world.

Pet: none
    Appearance:

John is an 5"9, lean Hylian male, with short silver hair, light tanned skin and red eyes. He has oval glasses on most of the day, not that he needs them, he just thought they looked good on him. John wears a green short sleeved shirt with light orange shorts that go down slightly below his knees, not that anyone will see it most of the time, seeing as he also has a blue robe on as well that covers up everything there between his feet and head. Finally his facial features are as follows, his nose is a bit pointed, he has slightly sunken eyes, he has a few freckles around his cheeks, and his lips are normal sized.

Personality:

John has a laid back attitude towards people, if you want to do something he won't make much of a fuss, however it's only when those actions are going to cause physical harm to someone that he intervenes. John is very curious about uncharted locations, he is always trying to learn more about the world and hopes that he can help teach and/or inspire others.

John thinks that we should try to understand the people and things we don't before they are shunned, he thinks that just because someone looks scary that doesn't mean they are evil, after all, Hylians are capable of doing some terrible things. John doesn't really care about his eyes being red, even when he knows about the association people have with them and some of the looks he has gotten because of them, he thinks that if he acts like he isn't bothered by it then people will stop suspecting him.

Background:

To whoever is reading this, hello! You have picked up my personal journal, which is fine, the purpose of this is so that others can learn from my documentation, I only hope that this doesn't get destroyed at some point, and that you did not steal this. Within this book you will hopefully find some, if not all of the following.

• adventure
    • knowledge
    • laughs
    If you find one of these things, then I have succeeded in my goal, now I think I should let you know about my life up to this point.

Well to start, my name is John Nolan, or that's the name my adopted father gave me. You see, when I was but one years old, a tragedy fell upon my mother and a small settlement, shortly after my father had died. When I tried to ask him about it, (his name is Winter Nolan by the way), he just says "Ignorance from both sides.". While it IS annoying that he has been stubborn in being as vague as possible, this line has stuck with me all my life.

I have red eyes, yes I know about how people link that with someone being a Sheikah, I read it in a history book, I also have seen the looks that some people, both from people in mido and visitors, give me but I don't let it get to me. If I let people see me bothered by this then they might think that they where right, so I act like they don't bother me. It does work, the villagers stopped giving me those looks after about a month or two, not so much with some of the tourists but hey, progress.

Now before you ask, no I am not a Sheikah, I asked my DAM (Dad who Adopted Me) this one day and for once he gave me a clear answer regarding my parents, besides the stories he told me of them. He told me, "No, you don't have any Sheikah blood in you, remember red eyes are not something that they only have, you got them from your mother."

The three of them where a group of travelers who explored Northern Hyrule together, Dad was a swordsman and was always charging into battle, Mom specialized in healing and slight fire magic, and Winter was the one who was always able to get some of the best deals from shops and inns.

My DAM, is a merchant. Well to be more specific, he triads on a route between Mido (our home), and Lon Lon Ranch. He is one of the people who takes people who wish to get past the woods, and drops them off at Lon Lon, where most of the time there's an interesting person there who would be willing to triad with someone who came from the other side of the Lost Woods, without needing to go there themselves.

He always comes back with food and drinks from the farm, but sometimes when he gets something more, he gets me a gift! One time when I was 8 he gave me this bead that lets people nearby know you need help or some other short message, when I was 12 he got me some rings that let me create a pumpkin, they tastes like cardbord (trust me I tried it), and I can only have one at a time but I just think it's neat. I have more items, but you can probably guess where I got them, except for this journal that I bought last month.

Except, there is one other thing I have that I didn't get from DAM, something that I made myself! You see, in Mido, we make our buildings out of the trees in the Lost Woods, now if left unchecked we could potentially deforest the entire woods, so we plant new trees in place of the ones we take. Anyway I thought that having a staff would be pretty sweet, so when I was 15 (I'm 22 right now) I bought a plank and made it into a staff, I then worked on improving it's resistance to physical damage and afterwords I trained with it for the past 4-5 years.

Now that you know pretty much the key details of my background, you may be asking why I decided to leave the cozy confines of my town to go out into the dangerous world? Well because I want to learn more about it, there's only so much I can find out by staying in Mido, also I kind of want to find that old settlement and maybe get some answers. Right now I am riding on towards Lon Lon Ranch in a caravan, where I will figure out what to do next, I will keep writing in this journal nightly until I run out of room and I need to get another one.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Okay, so, right now I'm gonna have to deny this character. I want to clear a few things first.

As you know, Sheikah are an elite race, that you need a license for, while Hylians are a common race and are free to start with. Right now, from you appearance and backstory, it really feels like John's raised as a Hylian and thinks he is one, but is actually a Sheikah? Particularly because you emphasize him looking as one while the adoptive dad doesn't want to be clear about his family dying and the connection to a small settlement.

This paired with his looks just cuts the line a little too close. Am I correct in reading this in the character? Is he actually a (although unknowing) Sheikah?
  3. IgnitedRowlets

No that is not where I am going with this, I just saw that it wasn't a strict trait with Sheikah, and decided to use it with something that happened in the past, but I can see where you got that impression. I'll add a line or two to clear that up.
  4. IgnitedRowlets

turns out I should have said paragraphs instead, did this clear things up?
  5. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Eep, sorry for the late response! Yes, as long as he is and remains a Hylian (not counting masks/curse treasures and whatnot), it's fine!

ACCEPTED.
  6. IgnitedRowlets

thanks, and it's fine, I was gonna wait at least until finals where done before making another post