Invisible wire

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Razgriz, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Name: Invisible wire

PWC: Stock: Courage?, 10m length: None

Description: An extremely thin wire that all but the most aware will fail to notice, this wire is strong enough to hold about 150 kg before breaking. Also, as this wire is very thin, it can be used surprising well for cutting through leather, flesh and the like; or if a large amount of force is applied, could conceivably cut through metals as well.

Limitations: If tensed (as in a trap) it will degrade within a day. The wire cannot be used to reinforce other cords or even other invisible wire as it will simply cut through it. Degrades immediately if an electrical current is run through it. Requires chainmail gauntlets (or other hand protection that allows for similar protection and dexterity.
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

This isn't nearly enough for it to qualify as a treasure. It's just a really thin wire, and I'm not even sure if Hyrule even has the capacity to create something so tiny.
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

^ Agreed, especially with the "not really needs to be a treasure" bit. But, uh, I don't think you'll be able to do the 'super strong and cuts through metal' bit.
  4. Razgriz

Well I suppose the "cuts through metal" might be going a bit far, but the strength and ability to cut with minimal force are what make it a treasure, I suppose as well as it's size.

As for justifying it's size RD, that's easy: there's the usual "a wizard made it", Gorons are also absolute masters and metalwork, so conceivably they could've made a metal specifically for this or it's a kind of steel or something (Remember, to make wire all you do is stretch heated metal, so just do that a lot with a really strong metal), or even the Picori could be involved in production, being able to work such a small size. Any of those explanations make sense in universe.
  5. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Even then, it'd be common-tier at best. It's still not worthy of being a full-blown treasure.
  6. Razgriz

Alright if you guys insist that this is common-tier then I'll just use it as such, but as one last argument, I'll list some uses:

- Greatly enhanced (and easily hide-able or destroy-able) garrote
    - Horrific whip (just get a bunch of strands, attach small weights to the ends and it'll cut through most enemies)
    - Temporary nearly-undetectable and highly lethal hall traps, (if you're not expecting it you can easily slit your throat, or nearly take off your foot)
    - Nearly-undetectable dead-fall traps
    - Climbing rope (obviously you need special equipment to use it like this, but you can just tie it off and leave it there, and then you have an emergency escape route)
    - Hidden attack as part of a ranged weapon (run it through a hole in part of the ammo, even if you miss you can move the wire to cut without most opponents expecting it.)

And these are just off the top of my head.
  7. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    I am in agreement with the other two; this does not seem like it would merit being a treasure. The majority of its properties that make it magical are in its limitations. It's almost as if a normal wire made of a strong material, i.e. steel, would be more useful. Steel wire could be used for almost everything you listed above, save for cutting through metal and as a climbing rope, neither of which seem feasible even from a treasure that is essentially a length of wire.

As it stands, this feels like a normal item with a lot of limitations. You could take a single length of string from a Cheval Rope and use it for most of the purposes you listed, save the cutting ones, and use normal steel wire for everything else (except cutting through metal).