Illusive Shadow

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

(Ignore until Dark Affinity Changes are worked out)

Name: Illusive shadow.

P/W/C Type: Courage, wisdom or power. I’ve got no idea. Based around physical aggression, uses sneaky stuff, and it’s magic.

Appearance: Looks exactly like the user, but with about 90% opacity.

Description of Function: When activated, creates an illusion of the user that will immediately rush towards an enemy with a single attack. While this attack isn’t capable of damaging the target, it’s useful for creating openings in enemy defences. When the “Attack” connects with the enemy, it phases right through them.

Limitations: Illusions only last about a second and a half. Can only be used once every fifteen seconds. Illusions cannot interact with anyone or anything in any way. Won’t work on people who see the opacity, or have a lens of truth. Requires Dark Affinity.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I'm not sure why this would be a Dark spell. Dark magic isn't elemental here; it's magic derived by sacrificing a portion of one's humanity. This would probably fit more under the element of Shadow.

As usual, before I start asking questions I'm going to make sure I have the gist of this treasure.

--

The caster may create an illusion of himself that will immediately rush towards a selected target with a standard melee-attack. As this clone is purely an illusion, it will pass straight through the target with no damage done. The illusion will only last for about a second and a half, and the spell can only be cast once every fifteen. The illusion is slightly transparent, and anyone with the Lens of Truth or a Cross will immediately know its true nature.

--

If this is so, I'm wondering whether the attack should be changed to "an attack standard of the caster" to fit more types of casters, such as mages, archers, and throwing-knives-people.

This is a good treasure; I like it. Nice job, Tsu :)
  3. Tsubori

Yeah, it'd make more sense to be shadow. More or less, I was hit trying to brainstorm a bunch of Dark techniques for people to use if they get dark affinity as a melee fighter. Anyway, the analysis is spot on, and making it an attack typical of the caster would work well too.
  4. Quill

Makes sense. Again, good job. [1/2]
  5. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I could see this working as a courage-based skill. [2/2]
  6. Quill

On second thought, despite its name this treasure doesn't really have anything to do with shadows. It's just an illusion spell, so I don't really think it needs a [Shadow] tag; not unless we were going to make a blanket statement saying that illusion=[shadow]. There is some canonical basis for that, but that's an issue for another time that, when resolved, will be incorporated into existing treasures.

That being said, how's this?

`Illusive Shadow
    Original: Tsubori, Skill - Defense
    [Clone], [Illusion]

C5: 30 rupees
    C4: 45 rupees
    C3: 60 rupees
    C2: 95 rupees
    C1: 150 rupees

The caster may create an illusion of himself that will immediately rush towards a selected target with an attack standard of the caster. As this clone is purely an illusion, it and any of its attacks will pass straight through the target with no damage done. The illusion will only last for about a second and a half, and the spell can only be cast once every fifteen. The illusion is slightly transparent, and anyone with the Lens of Truth or a Cross will immediately know its true nature.
  7. Tsubori

looks good.