Ice Weave Cloth

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Spirit Adept, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Name: Ice Weave Cloth

P/W/C Type: None - Mundane cloth material

Appearance: Dark blue fabric that feels like cotton

Description of Function: Material for making clothing that is immune to damage from the cold and freezing. While it doesn't transfer this immunity to the wearer, it does help protect them against exposure to coldness. It's especially good at protecting against ice magic.

Limitations: Does not protect user against cold environments, if exposed to too much ice and cold the cloth will freeze over and burn the wearer. Cannot be woven into other kinds of cloth. Requires one bolt of cloth per shirt or pants, two bolts of cloth for robes.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

It may be simpler to just say that this cloth is warm and then jump straight into the "helps protect against ice magic." How would normal clothing be damaged "from the cold and freezing", just in case that's why it's in there Also, what do you mean by "freeze and burn"?

I think that the "cannot be woven into other kinds of cloth" deserves editing. I think I know what you mean; you can't stitch Desecrated into this and expect this mundane cloth to keep its effect. But perhaps something like "if crafted in combination with other kinds of cloth, this must be crafted in some kind of layering system, not stitched in" or something. I dunno. It may be simpler to just take that out entirely. Thoughts?
  3. Spirit Adept

My idea was that it helped protect against cold based attacks indirectly by being immune to cold temperatures itself, rather the simply granting ice resistance to the wearer. That way it would have multiple uses beyond armor, like making a tent out of the cloth for someone traveling in the mountains. By being immune to cold and freezing I meant that it wouldn't get brittle at low temperatures likes some fabrics do nor would it be able to be frozen and then shattered. Your idea that it is always faintly warm actually makes a great deal of sense and is definitely a good addition.

Technically speaking, a burn is any damage done by extreme temperatures, either hot or cold. Frostbite itself has similar symptoms to burns caused by heat. Sorry about the confusion.

My reason for not having it be able to be stitched into other fabrics is twofold. One is that I didn't want to make it possible to make the omni-resistant cloak that would protect you from all elements. The other is that only ice weave cloth itself is immune to the cold, which means that if you combined it to other fabrics it wouldn't protect them and when exposed to temperatures that would damage it, the whole thing would fall apart. It would work in the case of layering though and it would prevent someone from gaining resistance to multiple elements.
  4. Quill

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if you meant "so cold it's a burn" or some kind of magical "bursts into icy flames and sears the wearer". I think that the layering thing should just not be mentioned, now that I think about it. That kind of reasoning you bring up at the end, with the inherent drawback of layering, doesn't seem like something that's immediately obvious. If someone wants to do it, sure, and they'll probably recognize the drawbacks, but it may be better to just not bring it up during the treasure itself.

I am, however, confused. You say that it's "immune to damage from the cold and freezing," but then later you say that too much cold will freeze it over and damage the wearer. This is confusing and counterproductive; I would suggest either clarifying this or removing it altogether and just make it immune to damage from the cold.

`Ice Weave Cloth
    Original: Spirit Adept, Magic Tier - Utility
    [Cold], [Material], [Single-Use], [Protect]

20 rupees

This dark blue, cotton-like fabric may be used in crafting by a player-character with a sufficiently-related level in the Crafting treasure. The fabric itself is immune to damage from the cold; however, it does not transfer this effect to anything else. It is always faintly warm, which helps protect the wearer from cold environments. Note, however, that excessive temperatures will cause the cloth to freeze over and burn the wearer with cold. This material may not be woven into other kinds of cloth.
  5. Spirit Adept

Sorry, sorry, that was a complete and total slip up on my part. I didn't mean to say freeze, just that with enough cold even the cloth will be overcome and start getting really cold itself. It still isn't hurt by that, it just means that you can't make a full body suit out of the cloth and have total immunity to cold attacks. I can't image too many situations where it comes up for the ice or thunder weave cloth (maybe sustained breath attacks from multiple targets or something like that), it's a bigger issue for the fire weave cloth to prevent someone from making a diving suit out of the stuff to go swimming in lava.
  6. Quill

Well, stuff for the Fire and Lightening Weave Cloths should be left in their own treasures. These don't have to be carbon-copies of each other, especially when what makes sense for one doesn't make sense for another.

I'm wondering if what you're saying is already covered by the "does not transfer this immunity to anything else." The bit about no-spell-protection may, I think, be fixed if it's stated that this fabric is only immune to cold-temperatures. Concussive or ripping effects that accompany cold-spells won't be blocked. Is that right?

So, basically... how's this?

`Ice Weave Cloth

25 rupees

This dark blue, cotton-like fabric may be used in crafting by a player-character with a sufficiently-related level in the Crafting treasure. The fabric itself is immune to damage from cold temperatures; however, it does not transfer this effect to anything else. It is always faintly warm, which helps protect the wearer from cold environments. This material may not be woven into other kinds of cloth.
  7. Spirit Adept

That works for me, let's go with that.
  8. Quill

9. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

So I actually take issue with the price. As it stands, this is actually a fairly weak treasure, and that's fine, but I think the cost should reflect that. Compared to other treasure that offer protection from elements, this is priced similarly (considering cost of Crafting plus the core cost of each craftable treasure) but it only applies to the clothing, unlike say a Goron Tunic which provides heat everywhere. I suppose you could make a cloak out of this and have it help you, but if you tried doing multiple articles of clothing this would stop being affordable pretty quick.

I think if you lowered this to like... 10 rupees, that would be adequate. Paying 40 rupees for a cloak or gloves or something that gives you a much better chance in the cold seems pretty reasonable. Even 40 for a tent of that sorts doesn't feel mind blowing either.
  10. Quill

Fine with me. Spirit?

`Ice Weave Cloth

10 rupees

This dark blue, cotton-like fabric may be used in crafting by a player-character with a sufficiently-related level in the Crafting treasure. The fabric itself is immune to damage from cold temperatures; however, it does not transfer this effect to anything else. It is always faintly warm, which helps protect the wearer from cold environments. This material may not be woven into other kinds of cloth.
  11. Spirit Adept

That's fine by me.
  12. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg