I just ordered a PS2 and I want your suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bitoko, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

So what games should I get? What are some good ones? (both PS2 and PS1)
  2. Seththeshadow

Seththeshadow New Member reg

Jack and Daxter. The original. Not the shitty sequels. Love that game :P

Ratchet and Clank. The best game in my opinion is Going Commando (the second game released), but the original and Up Your Arsenal are good too.

Ace Combat Zero: Belkin Wars. I haven't played it in years, but my brother owns it and I remember many hours of entertainment. Really good air combat game imo.

And of course, I cannot forget this one... Dynasty Warriors 5. Mindless hack and slash ftw. :)

None of those require much thought to play, but I found them all enjoyable.
  3. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Seth mentioned some good ones (Dynasty Warriors 5 for sure).

From me, I suggest Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, almost any Final Fantasy (either PS2 or PS1), umm, Legendary Swordsman Musashi, son of a -----, I'm not at home right now so I can look at the games to suggest them, lol. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Guitar Hero 2, idk what else, lol, out of ideas.

What I do sometimes is a just google top lists and read through them.
  4. Seththeshadow

Guitar hero! Yes! I prefer the game play in 3, but 2 has a better set list, :P
  5. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Yeah, I have GH3. I ordered KH along with the PS2 and a 128 MB memory card, but I definitely want to get ratchet and clank/jak & daxter. Never heard of Dynasty Warriors 5 but I'll look it up tonight. I do want to get the FF games as well, along with other PS1 games, but yeah, I hope to build up a good library soon! Keep giving suggestions
  6. Seththeshadow

ps1 games... Spiro. I cant remember which one i used to play though. D: Spiro was a fun game.

So was CRash Bandicoot!
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

The Playstation (2) has a ridiculously massive library of amazing games, that it's almost difficult to narrow it down to a reasonable selection. Nonetheless, I shall attempt to give a pair of rudimentary top ten lists:

Playstation:
    1. Ape Escape
    2. Final Fantasy Tactics
    3. Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, 3, & CTR
    4. Spyro 1, 2, & 3
    5. Tekken 3
    6. Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return
    7. Legend of Dragoon
    8. Brave Fencer Musashi
    9. Final Fantasy IX ...and I guess maybe VII and VIII as well, though I personally find them overrated.
    10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3
    Honorable Mention: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (The only reason this isn't numbered is because the Wii remake, entitled "Klonoa," is an improvement and much less obscure than the original PS title.)

Playstation 2:
    1. Shadow of the Colossus
    2. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
    3. Sly 1, 2, & 3 (2 is by far the best, though.)
    4. Jak 1, 2, & 3 (and possibly Jak X, but I've never played it, so I can't be sure.)
    5. Final Fantasy X
    6. Resident Evil 4
    7. Ico
    8. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    9. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    10. Ratchet & Clank 1, 2, & 3
    Honorable Mention: Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (In truth, this is in my personal #1 spot. Few can fully appreciate the game, however, so recommending it with a number seems inappropriate.)

:yomp: Naturally, these lists are formed only from games I've played myself, and are extremely subject to my personal opinion.
  8. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Dark Cloud for PS2, that is one of my favorite PS2 games I own.
  9. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well seeing as how I have yet to be led a stray by your opinion I'm pretty sure I can count on all of those to be great games. I'll have to try Klonoa.

CJ What is Dark Cloud about?
  10. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Dark Cloud is about a teenage boy named Toan, who's village (and many other places) are attacked by the Dark Genie. Before the Dark Genie's attack destroys the town though, the Fairy King encases parts of the town in a stone called Alta. This Alta though, is scattered about the nearby dungeon by the blasts of energy from the Dark Genie, so the Fairy King selects Toan as the person to go collect them all again. The boy is gifted with a stone called Altamilla, which can absorb the Alta and then allow him to rebuild the towns.

The gameplay for Dark Cloud is interesting, I've seen people liken it to Zelda mixed with a Sim builder. You delve into dungeons as Toan, equip with daggers and swords, you go through randomly generated dungeon floors, searching for the key that opens the entrance to the next level.

While in dungeons, you have to watch your Thirst meter, which goes down over time, but drinking Water or finding a Spring (which also heals your health) combat thirst and certain items can increase your Thirst meter.

Another thing that you must be careful of is your weapon. As your fight, your weapon takes damage, and should it run out of Weapon HP, then it will break and disappear (except for your default, like your Dagger). To combat this, you want to be sure to use Repair Powder on it to restore it's health.

While in dungeons, or as rewards, you'll get certain stones, and these stones can be equip to your weapon to increase their power or increase damage dealt to certain monster species. After your weapon has gained enough Weapon EXP, you can increase the level of your weapon, absorbing the stones and permanently making the weapon stronger. Do that enough times, you can Status Break or Build Up the weapon, either turning the weapon itself into a Stone to equip to other weapons or evolving it into a different weapon.

Once you've gotten a fair amount of Alta, you can start to rebuild the town. You place down the Houses (along with trees, rivers, ponds, windmills, wells, ect) and then place people in their respective homes. Its always good to check around and in a home half-complete or finished, as their is usually chests with nice items in to take.

You then talk to the person, finding out what items might be missing from their home and also ask them how they want the town rebuilt, like some like being near the pond or some like being around lots of people. Once their home is complete, they will usually reward you something nice.

Overall, I simply love this game. It can be a bit of a challenge, but there are some hints that can be useful.

-Until you can build the shop, always visit the Mayor before each dungeon visit. He will give you a couple items if you lack them, like Repair Powder, Bread, Water. If you have multiple nearly-broken weapons, use a Repair Powder and ask him for another one.

-Tackle dungeon floors one at a time.

-Building up weapons is useful, and something I like to do is build up the Dagger to +5, then Status Break it as it gives about 60% of its stats to the next weapon I equip it to. This is great if you just put it on your next weapon, but replace it for a seperate stone before leveling the weapon up, as you can trade the Dagger+5 stone among different weapons and this helps especially with your 1st ally.

-If you ever find a Dran's Feather, love it to death. Equip it to one of your bag slots at the top of the screen, select it with the control pad, then hold down Square. It increases your movement speed (though it can break after a while, so keep an eye out for more) and it makes getting around dungeon floors so much faster.

So yah, I love this game to death, its so fun, and challenging. I highly recommend it.
  11. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Hmm, sounds pretty cool, I'll have to try it.