Hibernation [Open] [Review]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Razgriz, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Hibernation
    Original – Razgriz, Spell - Utility
    [Alteration]

W5: 20
    W4: 30
    W3: 45
    W2: 70
    W1: 100

Common among battlefield mages and healers, the spell puts the target into a state where they fall unconscious and their bodily processes slow down significantly, to the point where it is in-fact difficult to tell that they’re alive. The mage spends a minute in contact with the target performing the spell and may do nothing else in this time, thus it is useless in combat and requires a passive or restrained target. After the minute, the target’s system slows down for between an hour to two weeks (duration the user's choice), during which injuries and diseases fail to progress (although they can still be injured in this state) allowing more time to get proper medical attention or preventing POWs to continue using valuable resources.

Lastly the target still requires a portion of the normal nutrients and water of a normal person, as they can’t eat normally while in this state, wake up extremely hungry and thirsty; thus using the spell on a person already suffering dehydration or starvation may be a death sentence.

While someone can be brought out of the state prematurely, doing so is both dangerous and difficult. The comatosed person must be the target of spell, ability, item, etc. that acts as a stimulant (it must speed up the most of the target's metabolism) and if it is a drug potion or something similar that is used it must be applied directly to the heart, an almost surely fatal course of action. But even if they are revived in this manner, significant strain is put on all parts of the body as the system goes from being almost inactive to hyperactive almost instantly. Many people cannot survive the shock and even the others find severe chest pains, shortness of breath, headaches and other such effects lasting for days after and severely impairing them.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Cool! I like this; it has a lot of in-game potential.

"Lastly the target still requires a portion of the normal food/water of a normal person, as they can’t eat typically wake up extremely hungry and thirsty; while using the spell on a person already suffering dehydration or starvation may be a death sentence."

This confuses me. The first part seems to imply that they can be fed in this comatose state. The second implies that they cannot be, and therefore caution must be exercised since (as their bodies are not entirely frozen in time) they still consume nutrients and stuff and could starve to death.

Also, how would this spell be reversed? Can the mage establish a clear time limit from the get-go, can only the caster reverse it (and unless he does the target will awaken when the natural limit is reached), etc.
  3. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Updated for clarity and more info. on bringing them out of the state
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Oooh, I love the drawback to waking someone up prematurely. Well explained and risky. Me gusta; nice job! :)

I like this treasure a lot, and (as someone with a Healer character) may buy this myself. New additions to the Healing section of the Library are much appreciated; a lot of the time, Healing treasures are just bits of what Life already offers, but this does something Life cannot, which is really cool in and of itself.

You have my vote for acceptance.
  5. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Approved.