Gust

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Name: Gust

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: Strong, chaotic winds

Description of the Function: The caster may stir up strong, chaotic winds in his vicinity, making projectiles nearly useless.

Limitations: Use of the Straight Shooting spell will overpower this, and some magic will not be affected. The winds will not follow the caster. Use of this spell indoors will result in the winds being present only in the caster's room.
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

How far does this extend around the caster? Also does it affect people as well as projectiles, such as staggering them or knocking them over?
  3. Quill

If it's not in a room... 30 ft?

I can see strong, chaotic winds affecting people. Probably nothing more than staggering and hard to stay upright; for the caster as well as the foes. Don't want this to be more about knocking people over, although doing that to unbalanced people isn't out of the question.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

As it stands, this treasure has my approval. 1/2
  5. Quill

Since wind is generally associated with Farore, and since most of the [wind] treasures are C-based, I thought it may be a good idea to change it to Courage, instead of Wisdom. Is this alright?

`Gust
    Original: Quill, Spell - Defense
    [Conjuration], [Protection], [Wind]

C5: 20 rupees
    C4: 25 rupees
    C3: 35 rupees
    C2: 50 rupees
    C1: 100 rupees

The caster may stir up strong, chaotic winds in his vicinity, making projectiles nearly useless. These winds will buffet anyone and anything within them; however, they will not do more than cause a full-grown Hylian to stagger. Centered around the caster's position at the casting of this spell, these winds have an approximate radius of 30ft. If used indoors, the winds will only be present in the caster's room. Some magic will not be affected by this spell, and use of the Straight Shooting treasure will allow projectiles to pierce through the winds.
  6. Quill

Similar to Quicksand: Ribs, you mentioned something about wanting this spell to have a physical medium. Could you expand on that please?
  7. Ribitta

I'm not 100% certain where I stand on the idea, but I guess I'll put it out there.

In the games, since Link is not a mage (but is still our reference point for courage) any magic that is wielded through the hero is done via objects--trinkets and the like. Din's Fire and Nayru's Love both take the forms of hand-sized crystals the hero may use to draw energy out of himself. In contrast, we know true mages like Ganondorf or Zelda can create similar effects without such tools. Another example of this is the medallions from aLttP if I recall correctly.

This in mind, I would be interested if we could treat many courage-based things of magic like that. There's room for debate and such, but in the instance of Gust I could see it working largely like Din's Fire, in terms of the user sending a field of wind out from his person when pouring energy into the trinket.

What do you think?
  8. Quill

Well, I know some people use trinkets for spells anyway if it fits their characters better. If you would like it to be official for some treasures, cool! Maybe like... I don't know, a snow globe to be shaken up? How specific are you thinking? An orb, a hand-held crystal, a rod, a small pouch of powder that refills every few minutes? (is open to suggestions)
  9. Rising Dragon

Something that at least correlates well to its function.
  10. Quill

Do you think keeping it vague, such as saying a "wind related trinket", would be better than pinning it down to something specific?

If not... Wind is most frequently dabbled with through music, like in aLttP. Maybe we could make this musical? "This fife will produce strong, chaotic winds (etc)"
  11. Ribitta

Hm. The more I consider this the more I think we should just do this outside of TC. We may revisit PWC as a whole and what constitutes treasures under each one, but for now I think we should just leave this open and treat it like a normal spell. If people want to make an item out of it, then it's in their creative license to do it. For now, however, I'm not really comfortable with setting the precedent in this topic.

If R.D. approves of this treasure, then I think it is ready to be accepted as is.
  12. Rising Dragon

Yeah this would prove more viable as spell rather than generated by a trinket--most wind-related trinkets had a discernable function associated with the effect, and this one is a bit too expansive for that. I'd also prefer this NOT being related to some sort of musical instrument, if only for the sake of leaving magical music as its own thing.

Otherwise, approved, I suppose.