Gathering Suggestions For Revamping Aspects of the Library

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Eevachu, May 9, 2012.

1. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

As I have mentioned, I am planning on revamping or updating certain parts of the library, such as materials, mounts, and methods of transportation, to make them more balanced or fitting overall. As the title suggests, I am making this topic to gather suggestions from the memberbase on how they think I should do this. While I myself do have a few ideas in mind, I'm curious to see if anyone has any interesting ideas for revamping any aspects of the library, either those that I mentioned above or not at all.

Likewise, as mentioned here, Razgriz has made a well made, if rather specific example of how general professions somewhat outclass specific professions. Now, while I haven't examined further cases to see if these apply to more and not simply this one and while it may not apply to everything, I'm sure there are more cases of this.

What I have to ask is, how does everyone feel about this? Furthermore, and this is especially to Razgriz, do you have any ideas on how to revamp or fix it? Personally, I don't have any ideas on the matter.
  2. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Re: Gathering Suggestions For Revamping Aspects of the Libra

My only thought is that we need to make sure we think out treasures not only in what they do for a character, but also how each race uses it differently. This goes a little ways back, but as an example with a goron with W1 using Din's burst and a hylian with W5 using it, the Goron's will be better. It's just important to look carefully at the wording and make sure it isnt unfair. Another example is shield breaker. Given the decription right now, it breaks through any obstruction between the user and the target, material or effects be damned. Now, this means that if Ganon tried to block this attack, his swords would shatter like glass. That kinda needs to be clarified.
  3. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

For the professions I pointed out, you could decrease the amount merchants receive at each level and maybe increasing the discount on general crafters' items and broadening the discount on specific crafters' items, (so that a bladesmith receives a slight discount on all blacksmithing items) say because of their friends, guildmates or contacts that can give the item for lower than market price.

If that doesn't seem to balance it either, I'd suggest powering up the general crafting profession and removing the specific one, (perhaps by replacing the general crafters' with the specific crafters'; although this might make them too powerful). Because looking at it, there are NO treasures in the library that a bladesmith (a listed example for a specific crafter) receives a discount on, the only ones that come close to it are the materials, but even that stretches the rules on the profession.

You'll also have to remember to take into account however you handle hiring a crafter to blend or shape special materials.

As for alchemist, I'd suggest removing the seeds from the cost and simply limiting the number of potions that can be used, (2 per day, 1 each potion per RP, 3 per RP all seem reasonable options), as that would prevent their overuse, but still prevent it from becoming too expensive. Hell, you probably offer a treasure that raises the limit each time it's purchased if you want. Or you could leave it is, with no formal limit on potions per day/RP and leave in seeds but offer stock treasures for all the seeds in the library at could be used, this keeps the seed idea and adds treasures to the library too.

On a side note in regard to Tsu's post, the first part has to be looked at very carefully, so that something like a Piccori doesn't get a relative nuke because of W5 and the non-race specific wording. And to the second part, shield breaker seems like an almost specific counter to Goron iron and magical barriers, (which if lost can be recovered for free afterwards) so I'd leave that as is
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

As the current active user of the Alchemist profession (I think I'm the only one) this is the idea that makes the most sense to me. Allowing for unlimited seeds at a pretty high premium sounds fair enough to me, with a potential to maybe reduce costs as the alchemist ranks up?

Seed supplies are awesome, though, and I'm in favor of them one way or another.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

When making or adding treasures, one thing I attempted to remember to do was consider all possible circumstances of treasure use--including race, size (especially Minish), and combination with other treasures. There's of course at least one instance where my reasoning was insufficient in the opinions of others (Din's Burst). Needless to say, I'm sure there's other things I've overlooked... so I can agree with Tsubori's statement.

As I stated in the other thread, fields may as well be reduced to the elements, plus illusion. Although it may be counter-intuitive, I do feel as though "summon" should be a field which should be kept (effectively replacing "conjuration"). I believe you yourself, SM, have made or intended to make treasures referring to "summon spells" or a spellcasting character who focuses on such spells.

I do, however, see importance in somewhat diversifying meta-fields. Right now, a typical treasure's meta-field consists of three parts: the treasure's source, it's fundamental type, and whether its primary purpose is offensive, defensive, or for utility. The only one I have a bit of an issue with is the middle portion, fundamental type. By its definition, every non-profession treasure right now is either a magic-tier item, technique (P-based ability), spell (W-based), or skill (C-based). The reason I feel this is important is due mainly to Spell Scholar, and future treasures like it, but also due to several custom treasures I've considered before or to a lesser extent Mirror Shield.

- "Spell" could only refer to magical abilities that are actually spells and not just Wisdom abilities, but including spells based on other attributes.
    - "Technique" could refer to actual martial abilities, regardless of whether they were based on power or courage, or perhaps even Wisdom.
    - "Skill," or some other term, could refer to a passive ability like Specialty or Amphibious. - "Ability" could suit any non-item treasure which didn't fit into one of the above categories, though Ability (as it does now) could still refer to any non-item treasure.

If it was desired, magic-tier could be broken down as well:
    - Magical Items (cane of somaria, magic mask, etc.)
    - Mechanical Items (hookshot, bombs)
    - Organic Items (mystical seeds, deku nuts)
    - Materials
    - Item (as the opposite of "Ability," it could still refer to any non-ability treasure)

Considering each treasure would normally fit under one such label (with sparse notable exceptions), I doubt this would over-complicate things as normal fields currently do.

This perhaps isn't directly related to the library, but, Northern Hylians need an ability to replace Rupee Riches, or that ability needs to be nerfed, or something.

Oh, and there's one more thing. I personally wish professions were completely started over from scratch. They were first designed in HC's infancy, and as such I ended up making many erroneous predictions--I thought spare rupees would have more purpose by now, that trade (both inter-player trade, and player-to-NPC trade) would be more common, and that treasures for one character would be earned at a faster rate, among other things. Crafting professions are not as pathetic as they initially were, but are still fundamentally based on a flawed system. As it stands, professions in of themselves are effectively a rupee drain which only barely serve a purpose if you are trying to supply a guild of at least half-a-dozen characters with numerous items which happen to fit into your field.