Forsaken Screech

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Feedback Screech

P/W/C Type: Courage or wisdom

Appearance: The user must raise their hands above their head and there's a few visible distortions in the air as the sound travels.

Description of Function: Upon focusing energy to their hands, the user raises both above their head, eliciting a massive deafening screech. While not able to differentiate between friend and foe, the user isn't effected.

Limitations: Ca't be used for more than ten seconds in 12 hours.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Re: Feedback Screech

Okay, so here's the deal with this one.

During this month we also passed Dissonance, which (as far as I can tell) has very similar effects to this. Given that Dissonance is musical based and consequently more naturally fitting into the Zelda universe, we chose to process that one first. That said, this essentially becomes an unfortunate duplicate, so we're left with two options.

On the one hand, we can simply move this to the unaccepted forum and move on. I feel like any need that would be met by Feedback Screech would also be met by Dissonance, so this really has nothing to do with one being better but simply a matter of redundancy.

OR

We can convert this into something else. In Zelda we do have an example of a horrendous screech, and that's the one given by the Redead. It would pretty much restructure this treasure (going from pain/deafening to pure paralysis, probably giving it the [Undead] tag, and so on). We'd in essence be altering this to become the canonical ability, if you wanted to do that.

The choice is purely up to you, so let us know.
  3. Tsubori

Hm, so if all else fails, I could go with the second one, but there are instances of a treasure in the library of the same effect with a different stat used. Think Jump, Roc's cape, and Roc's feather. One uses power, one uses wisdom, and the next uses courage. Would this be able to fall under that clause?
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Mm, you're right to point to the Library for precedence. However, the thing with the Roc, Goron Tunic/Fireshield Earring series is that they're canon. If there were copies of treasures in different virtues, though, it would undermine the point of having the P/W/C system. If they're canon, it's one thing, but original? A little less justifiable. Nice job backing up your point with evidence, though.

Plus, this would probably still be Power.

btw can I just say I love your post. Logical, polite, very nice. Good job! :)
  5. Tsubori

In that case then, yeah. Let's go with the redead thing.
  6. Quill

Mmm, maybe something like this?

Name: Forsaken Screech

P/W/C: Power

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: The user may loosen a paralyzing, bone-chilling screech which can freeze all within his line of sight who are capable of hearing it.

Limitations: Doesn't last long, doesn't differentiate between friend and foe

Wondering whether there should be some sort of "user moves at a shambling pace when technique in effect" or somat.
  7. Tsubori

I'd say so for the slow walking thing. And even then this is going to be a very costly treasure.
  8. Quill

Name: Forsaken Screech

P/W/C Type: Power

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: The caster can unleash a terrifying scream, pouring such fear into an enemy's heart that he is paralyzed

Limitation: Can only be used on a single target.  Can only be used when the sun is not in the sky or when indoors.

Are you fine with this, Tsu?
  9. Tsubori

Seems good. Are we stating any set time for paralysis?
  10. Ribitta

I think we're going to leave it open, for a couple of reasons. Having a set time is, ironically, both a little underpowered and overpowered at the same time. It initiates a harsh freeze where I could just scream at you, take a couple of steps, and decapitate you. On the other end, it also means that even if you wanted the stun to last longer (say on an NPC of your choice or worked out between two RPers) then you couldn't.

Leaving it open means it's not an instant death in an arena, but gives you flexibility for RP drama or use on NPCs and such.

One thing I will add to Quill's abstract, though, is this should probably have some sort of clause that prohibits spamming. Maybe causes the user to quickly grow hoarse and light-headed or something.
  11. Tsubori

Makes sense :P I've screamed for a minute straight before and Know how it feels
  12. Quill

How does this look to everyone?

`Forsaken Screech
    Canonical, Technique - Offense
    [Disable], [Undead]

P5: 45 rupees
    P4: 60 rupees
    P3: 85 rupees
    P2: 100 rupees
    P1: 125 rupees

The caster can unleash a terrifying scream, pouring such fear into a single enemy's heart that he is paralyzed. If used outdoors, the magic will only work when the sun is not in the sky; however, it can be used indoors at any time. If used too often too quickly, the caster will become hoarse and dangerously light-headed.
  13. Tsubori

[​IMG]
  14. Ribitta

Sounds good to me