Force Enchantment [Final]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Force enchantment

P/W/C Type: Unsure on this one. 

Appearance: The weapon or limb has transparent pulses being released from it. They're only aesthetic though.

Description of Function: When the user focuses their energy to their weapon, filling it with passion and vigor, it will pulse. Upon the next hit that is made with it, the knockback will be greatly increased.

This force is easily able to throw an average weighing Hylian about 25 feet. 

Limitations: Same as other enchantments.
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Re: Force Enchantment

This needs to be toned way, way down on its range and force. 25 feet is a long, long way to fly from an attack.
  3. Tsubori

Alright, but how much less to see that it's still useful? If someone only flies five feet, the treasure won't have much of a point. Is 15-20 better?
  4. Rising Dragon

Even five feet is quite an achievement with a physical blow. More than enough for staggering or knocking an enemy down, leaving them open for further attacks. 15 to 20 feet is still overkill.
  5. Tsubori

Five feet completely undermines this as a treasure. A particularly strong person could punch someone that far. Putting it down to five feet pretty much takes away any point to this treasure that someone could reasonably punch someone with a strong character. The whole point of this treasure is the knockback. There's no damage increase, no extra complexity, nothing like that. You hit them, they fly back. If someone was going to buy something that only increased their knockback by maybe 20% or so, I don't think they'd waste their time with it. I think 15 feet is entirely reasonable.
  6. Rising Dragon

Five feet is exceptional knockback. Normally you'd only get that kind of distance by hitting someone if they were completely unprepared for it and many times stronger than that person--this treasure with those qualities eliminates the need for sneak attacks and overwhelming strength.

We are not, however, going to let people punch others across small canyons. This is not Dragon Ball Z. This is Zelda.
  7. Tsubori

Small canyons... What feet are you thinking of? This is the distance of less than three people lying down. For a magical effect, this isn't that absurd.

EDIT: And would you stop comparing things I make to DBZ when it's not justified at all? If it were DBZ, I'd say it sends them sixty to one hundred feet, the actual distance to cross a canyon.
  8. Tsubori

Alright, approached with a calmer head, here's my goal for this treasure. I want this to be a treasure that more or less can't be tanked with no ill effects by someone blocking, unless there's a good reason for it, like a massive boss or something. I'd like a blocking goron to at least have to take a firm step back and wince when his block is hit by this treasure. With that in mind, what's the best you'd say for an average Hylian you'd accept
  9. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

20 feet would be about the length of two building stories, but I would actually like to get rid of the metric altogether. Maybe a comparison to previously known forces would be better that an estimation on how far a 'normal' Hylian would be launched. Possibly "this enchantment doubles the force output of the next blow" or something similar. I thought about giving it a comparison to Goron-punches, but then that brings about the "Picori/Kokiri vs. Gerudo" deal. This keeps it powerful, but relative.

Thoughts?
  10. Tsubori

That's a good way of doing it. I like that more because more or less, it gives it a little over double the distance you can hit something, given that the hit object only has so much of a resist threshold that when surpassed, gives the knockback distance. Logical, I like it.
  11. Quill

Alright, the next step is to redo your fields so we can keep going. Oh, and I believe I said this in some of the other Enchantments, but please don't say 'see other treasures' in your limitations. It just means a lot more unnecessary work for me, both in grading and in drafting. Thanks.
  12. Tsubori

Name: Force enchantment

P/W/C Type: Power and wisdom

Appearance: The weapon or limb has transparent pulses being released from it. They're only aesthetic though.

Description of Function: When the user focuses their energy to their weapon, filling it with passion and vigor, it will pulse. Upon the next hit that is made with it, the force given will double.

Limitations: May only be set to one weapon at a time. Can only be used once a minute.
  13. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

[1/2] Just to be clear, though, this isn't necessarily doubling the force of the strike but doubling how much weight it can displace. It's sort of splitting hairs, but if this simply doubled the damage of the attack then it'd be a very different treasure.
  14. Quill

Re: Force Enchantment [1/2]

[2/2] Power would work better than Wisdom here, and the only enchantment spells that have 2 virtues are Fire and Wind. Ribs, feel free to edit this to make it clearer with the "double dispelled weight" vs. "double force" thing.

15. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Amended it just slightly for wording. This is ready for Tsu's approval
  16. Tsubori

Looks good
  17. Quill