Flame Condenser [Final]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Flame Condenser

P/W/C Type: W

Appearance: Same strands of fire as normal Fire control, but much, much brighter.

Description of Function: If the user has access to more fire than that used to create the strands from Fire Control, they may pack the extra fire into the current strand, not changing it’s size, but adding to it’s temperature. The maximum cap for this heat rise is three times the temperature of the normal fire.

Limitations: Takes a moment to add more flames to the strand. 3X limit. Requires Fire Control.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Re: Flame Condenser

It's a neat idea, but increasing an unknown temperature of the original spell doesn't seem to be enough for a treasure. That's more of something that a game would have- you know, "triples damage done." Useful in a video game, not so useful in writing. When you're working on expansions, make something that can't already be done.
  3. Tsubori

Alright fair enough. But what if we set it at a feat then? Something like "This makes the strand hot enough to slowly melt through thin metal." or something?
  4. Quill

Well, the problem with that is that what you're suggesting is still possible under the normal Fire Control. Anything you do for an extension can't be already doable, else there's no reason to have it.
  5. Tsubori

Wait, that's doable with the normal one? I'm talking like... Cutting through shields and stuff with about four or five lashes. Pretty much my point is, would it be possible to have an add on that gives the strands higher penetrative power?
  6. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I think that this is viable. "Condensing" fire isn't really a natural occurrence, and therefore probably wouldn't be covered under the context of Fire Control, which simply allows you to alter the displacement of fire but not its properties, requiring either an excessively hot source of fire or a spell that could unite temperatures. As a treasure, this concept seems fine to me.

However, simply on its own, I don't think triple-heat would be enough to do exactly what you want with it. Three times the heat of a wood-burning fire would probably get you 50%-100% of the way of simply reaching the melting point of a typical steel shield (~2500 degrees Fahrenheit). With enough condensed exposure, you could melt through a shield, but in terms of just striking blows you would probably end up with a different effect.

If you hit someone with a wave of fire, they would probably ignite and burn, but the fire itself doesn't really provide any sort of force. It's just a mixture of hot gasses, so it would just bathe the target in flames and heat but otherwise "wash over" them. If you wanted to, you could make another extension of Fire Control (Fire's Hammer or something, i dunno) that would allow you to, on top of the heat, actually put force behind the blow, perhaps at the cost of actually lighting anything on fire. Not really sure, it's an idea for another treasure, but I think you would need two separate spells combined to slice through a shield or a weapon like you want to.
  7. Tsubori

So you'd say this is fine as is? Plus this could be a good basis for all fire spells, condensing the fire to do more damage, if covering less space.
  8. Ribitta

Yep, I think this is fine, so long as you understand that you're just exposing something to the heat and it's not necessarily a cutting or bludgeoning tool on its own. That said, [1/2]
  9. Tsubori

Re: Flame Condenser [1/2]

What would the effect be on spells like Din's burst and such?
  10. Ribitta

Just be hotter. You'd get more sever burns, would be harder to protect yourself from, and it would do more lasting damage, I would imagine. Fiddling with things like the actual explosion or the speed or whatever would likely be covered under a different subset of a treasure.
  11. Quill

[2/2]
  12. Ribitta

Re: Flame Condenser [2/2]

`Fire Condenser
    Original: Tsubori, Spell - Offense/Utility
    [Fire], [Empower]

W5: 25 rupees
    W4: 35 rupees
    W3: 50 rupees
    W2: 70 rupees
    W1: 100 rupees

The caster may choose to combine the flames of his spell with pre-existing fire, combining and condensing them to drastically increase the heat of the fire under his control. Since the two sources were condensed together, the size would remain constant, even with the dramatic temperature change. In this way, the fire may become capable of reaching temperatures that, with enough time and exposure, could melt through steel.
  13. Tsubori

No, I don't like this.

Nah jk, looks good to me :P
  14. Quill

LOL I thought you were serious for a second and had just left it at that XD