Flame Aura [Final]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Flame Aura

P/W/C Type: W

Appearance: An orb of fire around the user.

Description of Function: Focussing their fire to be around them, a sphere of flame emanates from the user. This fire will scorch anything that touches it, but the user can only uphold this aura for about three seconds per hour.

Limitations: Three seconds an hour of use. Requires Fire Control.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Re: Flame Aura

This sounds a lot like the other Aura treasures, which have two requisites: Specialty and [sometimes] Racial. As it stands, this sounds a lot like Din's Fire, but I'm thinking that if "sphere of flame" was changed to "superheated air" we could propose this as a "prereq: user's race is Subrosian or user has Specialty: Fire." Just my thoughts, mind you, but it'd be interesting... maybe even a new racial ability. Prolly want Ribs on that, though.
  3. Tsubori

I suppose, but as I said before, I think it should be Race, speciality or the access ability for something like this. Because as it is, there's no logical way for a W5 character to get this treasure. It'd be wasting money on the specialty, which doesn't bring down any prices, just brings the rest up. And it'd be all to get one treasure. That just doesn't seem fair or logical to me.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Given the very brief amount of use, as a concept for an aura this seems fine. However, I think it should follow in suit with the other auras and should require either the specialty or the racial perk, probably for Subrosians in this instance. I know it's not really your favorite thing in the world, but take it or leave it.
  5. Tsubori

More or less, this is why I really don't like specialties. The benefit is lowering the costs of treasures you're getting, and forbidding treasures from people with 5 in a stat feels like the wrong way to go. Isn't that the point of Fire control? Giving you the starting point for learning fire spells? What's the point of having TWO different starting points that you have to have if you want to get the fire spells. It's just counterproductive as hell.
  6. Ribitta

I'm aware of your opinion of Specialty, and you're aware of ours. The fact remains that your assumption isn't accurate, seeing as Specialty serves as PWC increase to both Power, Wisdom, and Courage for that field. Even if you have Wisdom 5, there are [Fire] techniques that relate to Power, and it's a possibility to relate to Courage as well. This has been and always will be the primary point of Specialty.

Furthermore, Specialty is also different than a "Control" type of treasure. While Fire Control offers the ability to move and manipulate fire in a general sense, a Specialty: [Fire] (from an IC perspective) increases your finesse with Fire. They serve two different roles.

Specialty doesn't "forbid" anyone with any arrangement of stats from doing anything, it simply changes the economic game. Yeah, getting Specialty will make certain things more expensive, but it will also make certain things cheaper (because it affects all PWC attributes) and, in instances like this, even unlocks certain treasures. It's a form of opportunity cost, and if the offer isn't enticing then you have the option of simply getting different treasures.

Getting a Specialty isn't about just systematically granting boons to people, it's about them giving something up in exchange for something else that's more than just spending rupees. Whether or not it's "worth it" is entirely dependent on the person and their character.

Regardless though, what I said still stands:
  7. Tsubori

At the very least, will you consider letting people rebalance their characters for PWC, given a total rule overhaul on what PWC represents? I was talked to as if it was a 100% conscious decision to make my character W5 and I thought to myself that it foregoes Speciality, which at some point, may be used for other treasures. Changing the rules midgame and not letting people adjust to it isn't fair.
  8. Ribitta

Yep, as I said in the Specialties thread:

9. Tsubori

Alright, if it's got to have the specialty, then I'll take it.
  10. Ribitta

[1/2]
  11. Quill

[2/2] But would actually say P, not W.

Hmmm... I noticed that the other Auras had a s/m while this works on s/h. It's not really more powerful than the others- I'm not sure why it would need such a huger time limitation.

12. Tsubori

13. Quill