Fireshield Earrings [Closed] [Review]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

`Fireshield Earrings
    Canonical, Magic-Tier - Defense
    [Fire], [Protection]

C5: 60 rupees
    C4: 80 rupees
    C3: 120 rupees
    C2: 160 rupees
    C1: 320 rupees

Blessed by the power of the Goddess Din, these red earrings protect the user's entire body from extreme temperatures. These earrings function only as a pair- therefore, giving one to another person would not extend the protection to both parties. They render the user completely inflammable, and negate the fire weakness shared by Deku Scrubs and Koroks.

EDIT

`Fireshield Earrings
    Canonical, Magic-Tier - Defense
    [Fire], [Protection]

C5: 40 rupees
    C4: 60 rupees
    C3: 100 rupees
    C2: 150 rupees
    C1: 200 rupees

Blessed by the power of the Goddess Din, these earrings protect the user from super-heated environments. While the amount of heat these earrings are capable of filtering is unknown, it will protect the user from the heat of Subrosia. However, these earrings will not protect the user from the Subrosian habit of lava bathing- please know that if this is attempted, the difference between the earrings' limitations and the lava's temperature will kill the user. The Fireshield Earrings do not protect the user from flame-based attacks, unless the attack works specifically by raising the surrounding temperature. Otherwise, the user will be affected by spells such as "Fire" and "Din's Burst" as usual, however the earrings will immediately extinguish the user's body and clothes. These earrings function only as a pair, so giving one earring to another party will provide protection for neither user. Additionally, wearing multiple Fireshield Earrings will have no effect. The magic does not "stack."
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Given that these are earrings and not, in fact, a full-body piece of clothing with magical attributes, I'm assuming this would function more similarly to an external shield. So I have one question and one request.

Even though the user is inflammable, does that stop them from being burned?

Given that this might be considered more of a shield or barrier rather than an innate protection (Like the Goron tunic--making the user like a Goron, or the Subrosian Fire Resistance) then I would be of the opinion that it, as a shield, could falter eventually. I'm not asking for it to break after X hits or if an enemy has a P of X, but just that after a reasonable amount of damage or an intense amount of if (Like falling into lava) that the shield has the potential to be broken.
  3. Quill

I never really saw it as a barrier, Ribs, more as a... filter. The Fireshield Earrings can take in X amount of degrees, and if the temperature is X+1, then the user would feel that 1. Basically, the way I see it, they can take in a certain amount of heat, probably around what Subrosians can. Once the temperature exceeds the earrings' limits, though, the user would feel whatever it couldn't filter out.

Now, I'm not sure, but I think you're also asking about fire spells. If the attack is purely temperature-based, then I suppose that it would be dependant on whether the spell exceeded the limits. If it's just a kind of "heat haze" that doesn't meet the max, then I suppose it would have no effect. The person would not be affected by the "heat" aspect of fire spells, unless the temperature exceeded the limitations of the earrings. However, if the spell also has a corporeal form (aka Fire is supposed to hit like a punch and Din's Burst is supposed to [I believe] have a concussive property), that would affect the user.

Does this kinda make sense?
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Subrosians can bathe in hot lava, so at what point on Hyrule is your character ever going to feel hotter than what a subrosian can withstand? That seems vastly powerful. Also, you marked it as "canonical" when in fact its original by you isn't it?
  5. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

DOUBLE POST!! WOO! Ok, so they are canonical, I found this on the Zelda Wiki:

"Link obtains the earrings after successfully passing the test of Din's Silent Realm.[1][2] They appear as a pair of red earrings with spikes arranged to look like flares of fire.
    Upon entering an extremely hot region such as the Volcano Summit, the Fireshield Earrings will flash red, preventing Link's clothes from catching fire, allowing him to explore the area unhindered.[3] The earrings will also extinguish fire caught on his clothes from an enemy or trap, reducing the damage taken. They do not protect Link from fire-based attacks or direct contact with lava, unlike the Goron tunic, which allows a few seconds in lava before burning Link. Before Link obtains the Fireshield Earrings, he is seen wearing blue earrings."

So really, you are not going to be getting the same level of protection that a subrosian has.
  6. Ribitta

I don't know that the reference to Subrosian levels was necessarily the desired level but rather an easily explainable bench mark. Regardless, I agree the protection should be less-so than that of a Subrosian.

From the description of in-game treasure, though, it sounds like it might actually appear less potent than the description would merit. If this is the case, I would be in favor of reducing the cost from the full-scale, power version, the Goron Tunic.

Finally, the only issue I have with the idea of making it a boundary with the exception of certain level of heats is that it eliminates attrition. There are two ways to be effective at the offensive--you can either have large, slow attacks or small, quick ones. By making it a flat block to anything below a certain temperature may put the latter of the two at a nearly useless level, and we're back to the immunity problem.
  7. Quill

Yes. For resistance level, how about "can go into Subrosia but not the level of a Subrosian?" Also, in regards to the defensive attribute, how about this...

Will not protect against attacks (as in, will not deprive a speeding fireball of heat), unless said attack specifically works by raising the surrounding temperature, in which case the spell would have to exceed the earrings' capabilities. That way, the earrings aren't even related to combat. Its sole purpose would be to keep the user safe from extreme environmental temperature, with the added effect of immediately extinguishing the user's clothes and body.

If this does seem less powerful than the Goron Tunic, then we can either raise its current capabilities, give it a new attribute, or lower the price.
  8. Ribitta

The first couple sentences of your second paragraph seem a little convoluted, but your general idea seems fine. I like that it would be more for the sake of exploration and less for combat but could function for both. At this point I would suggest editing the original post with how you feel the treasure ought to look like, at this point. For the pricing, I would personally prefer it to be more affordable and slightly less powerful, but that's just me.

When you've edited the treasure, please leave a post here alerting us so we can go through the final reviewing process.
  9. Quill

I have edited the original post. Thoughts?
  10. Ribitta

I approve of this treasure. You will need an additional mod's approval before this is accepted into the library.
  11. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Kfiiiiiine the edit looks good. Someone move this, because I am feeling lazy.