Fire, Magnets And Insane Goron Patriarchs, Oh My! – DS and Squishy

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Squishy, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Rewards 'nd stuff. (open)
    Lamont (1/4/4) - Renting: Magnet Boots, +35 rupees
    Samanosuke (5/1/2) - Magnet Boots, +20 rupees

“A-ah...!”

Lamont groaned, the rough stone floor scraping along his bare back. He had discarded his shirt long ago, now lying forgotten on the ground as firm, strong hands held him down.

“Please...” He gasped. “Again?”

His partner grunted, shifting his position to allow the smaller man room to breathe. The Hylian gasped for air, sweat dripping from his face, his chest, everywhere. He was going to be sore tomorrow.

How he got here? A very long and complicated string of bets (most lost but some won) and favours, most of them best forgotten. And of course blatantly wrong directions from an old man on the road.

And so, as one thing had lead to another, Lamont soon found himself in a cave deep beneath the ground, shirtless and sweating. And getting his ass handed to him.

“No! I can take it! One more time!”

The Goron on the other side of the ring eyed the skinny Hylian. So far, he had tossed Lamont from the ring no less than five times. And yet the man was still standing, albeit with an impressive array of bruises forming on his arms, shoulders and back.

“How can you ever expect to survive the mines, boy? You can't even beat our weakest!” Another Goron spoke up from the sidelines.

“One more go! Please?”

The elder Goron sighed in exasperation, nodding at the younger one.

On his signal, the two combatants prepared to enter the ring again.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. Devil-Steel

Devil-Steel Your friendly neighborhood devil reg

A young Hylian had recently entered into the cave. His brow was covered in sweat, but he didn't seemed bothered by it. Of all of the places Yousef could send me. This place would have been right up Dogaths alley and he knows it. Just because I grew up in a desert doesn't mean I enjoy spending time in hot, underground cave systems. Though he much preferred assignments in that had him in the heat over those that tried to freeze him to death.

Looking towards the ring intrigued as a Hylian stepped in against to face off against a Goron. The Hylian already had an impressive number of bruises showing that this wasn't his first attempt at defeating the Goron in this test of strength. While the other Hylian might enjoy that type of embarrassing punishment it wasn't something Samanosuke planned on doing.

Walking past the ring and towards the exit of the cave to move deeper in a Goron would step in front of him and stop him. "If you want to go into the mines you have to prove your strength to us. If you can't defeat one of us in the ring you have no chance of surviving in the mines." As the Goron spoke he would point towards the ring that Lamont and the other Goron were stepping into.

Eyeing the Goron that had stopped him Samanosuke would let out an annoyed sigh. "From what I can see that is nothing more than a test of physical strength. No weapons. No abilities. None of what I would actually be using to survive in the mines is used in that ring." Samanosuke would narrow his eyes at the Goron in annoyance, but he would let out yet another sigh as he turned and walked away.

He would lean on the wall and look towards the ring. If it was the only way that he could pass into the mines without upsetting the Gorons then so be it, even if he had no plans to play fair.
  3. Squishy

"Ack!"

Again, Lamont proved little to no match for his opponent. While there was a certain grace to the arc he made as he was tossed out of the ring, he couldn't help but feel utterly pathetic as he hit the solid ground with a yelp. His chances at winning, and thus earning a way into the mine- and thus a way to countless precious materials-, were looking very, very grim.

He breathed heavily, needing a few moments for the world to stop spinning. When it did, he noticed a face not unlike his own hovering above him. What was another Hylian doing here? Lamont blinked, not sure what to do. But whatever he did, lying on the floor and staring was probably not the best course of action. Not if he was going to ask something of the stranger...

"Oh, uh... hey there."

He scrabbled to his feet, albeit a little shakily. The hard stone floor had not been kind to him. Lamont's shoulder audibly cracked as he stretched it. He tried not to groan. Quickly, the Hylian inspected himself for any new injuries, and sighed in relief when his bones still seemed to be intact. It was a miracle that all he had so far were bruises and scrapes. Then, he looked back to the stranger. He did look more than capable of handling himself. Though the golden eye was a little... creepy. But Lamont was not going to be picky. He could get his ass kicked here all day and it would solve absolutely nothing.

"Look, um, I know this is kind of sudden, and I don't know you... But I kind of really need help here?"
  4. Devil-Steel

Samanosuke could only watch as Lamont went sailing from the ring. Just what was he getting into? He knew he couldn't physically match a Goron in power, then again he didn't know all the rules to this upcoming match of his. Looking over Lamont Samanosuke had little desire to end up looking like he did. With a smile the young Hylian would straighten himself as he stopped leaning on the wall. "You can say that again, but I guess the same goes for me. I'm about to step into that ring without even the faintest clue to the rules. I can tell you're supposed to throw your opponent from the circle, but that's about all I've gathered thus far." Who knows maybe if the two of them were to work together they would be able to gain entrance to the mines.
  5. Squishy

"Right, right." Lamont straightened up, relieved that he hadn't gotten a 'no' from the stranger. "It's a wrestling match. Once you win, they'll allow you entrance into the mines, along with giving you a pair of boots to actually be able to traverse it. So far I... haven't been really succesful. But I guess since you're here, you want to go into the mine too, right?" He tilted his head.

"Rules are pretty simple. The ring's the arena, first one to go out of it loses, or if any participant can hold the other down until the count of ten. Maybe..." An idea had come to the Hylian. "Perhaps- perhaps we could try together? I mean, if we're both going into the mine. It's just an idea..."
  6. Devil-Steel

Samanosuke listened to what Lamont had to say, but at the mention of the boots they would get for winning the smile on the Hylians face would only widen. Yousef you sly bastard. That's why you made me practice using those damn iron boots that Dogath likes so much. Though his belief that Dogath would have been better suited to this task had only been reinforced by his recent understanding, he was at least thankful that Yousef hadn't sent him on his way completely unprepared for the task ahead of him.

"I'm not opposed to working together if it isn't against their rules. Just stay behind me and be ready to help me get the Goron out of the ring." Samanosuke had a plan that would at least prevent him from being thrown out of the ring thanks to Yousef forcing him to practice with those damn Iron Boots, but he was still at a bit of a loss when it came to how he was supposed to throw the Goron out of the ring. Hopefully Lamont could come up with something, otherwise Samanosuke was likely to resort to using his Pulse technique.
  7. Squishy

"Oh, thank you!" Lamont grabbed the stranger's hands. "I'll do whatever you need me to do! If we can beat that guy...! Oh man." He beamed, any trace of exhaustion gone from him, filled with new courage. Then, he noticed he was still clutching the other's hands. "...Right, sorry. Bit too excited. I'm, uh, Lamont, by the way."

Eager to start their new match, the Hylian turned around to the Gorons in the other side of the ring. "One more match, okay? I mean, he hasn't had a go yet. And we'll be doing it together!"

The elder Goron raised an eyebrow. "Together? That's hardly fair to my man here." But he seemed to change his mind as his eyes passed over Lamont. "Though with your record..." He sighed, eager to be rid of these idiots. "Fine, go ahead. This is your last chance."

On his gesture, the other Goron stepped back into the ring, beating his fists together.
  8. Devil-Steel

Samanosuke would grasp Lamonts hand in return after he had grabbed his hand, your typical handshake for a moment, until Lamont held on longer than he had expected that is. "Don't worry about it too much. The names Samanosuke, and you might want to keep that excitement reigned in a bit until we actually win." The young Hylian wasn't expecting this to be an easy match, and he didn't have much of a plan aside from using his iron boots to keep his feet on the ground. Typically Samanosuke relied on his speed and precision over raw power so he wasn't totally confident that he could actually complete a task that required him to out muscle a goron.

Even as unsure as he was, he would make sure not to show any of his unease as he approached the ring. Grabbing hold of his sheathes he would remove his swords from his belt and set them down outside of the ring. No point in wearing them if he couldn't use them after all. Stepping into the ring Samanosuke would do a few small stretches as he eye'd the goron in front of him. This is such a bad idea. Yousef, I'm going to get you back for this. Glancing back towards Lamont before focusing solely on the goron across the ring from them.

On the elders signal the goron would curl up into a ball and come barreling towards the two of them. While his instincts told him to run, he knew he couldn't so Samanosuke would readjust himself into a low stance ready and waiting to intercept the goron. Just mere moments before the goron slammed into him he had summoned his iron boots. The result was Samanosuke sliding back only a few inches instead of being flung out of the ring. While intercepting a goron while it was rolling had done decent damage to his hands, his leather chest armor had absorbed the brunt of the damage his chest would have taken. Samanosuke had managed to stop the goron, now hopefully Lamont had some idea on how to get it out of the ring.
  9. Squishy

Yes! They actually did it! Or at least, this was a start, Lamont quickly reminded himself. He was gobsmacked when Samanosuke remained standing. He should've been sent flying, especially when hit by a rolling Goron. But he hadn't.

Lamont cheered, then remembered he was supposed to help in this match. He hurried over to Samanosuke, grabbing hold of the Goron's arm. Now if they could hoist him over the edge of the ring... Victory was close. Lamont poured all of his strength into it, muscles protesting as he tried to drag the Goron. Slowly but surely, with Samanosuke's help, they inched the Goron closer to the edge. And closer. The Goron resisted little, too surprised at the turn this match had taken. Even the elder Goron seemed shocked.

When the Goron went out of the ring, dead silence filled the room.

Lamont grinned, looking at the elder Goron, who started chuckling.

"Iron boots. Very clever." He nodded at the Samanosuke's peculiar footwear. "Though I do warn the both of you. Relying solely on equipment and tricks will get you killed in the mines. There is a reason we set up this challenge." He took a deep breath. "But, winning is winning. You might be able to survive. At least for a little while."
  10. Devil-Steel

Removing his iron boots Samanosuke would step out of the ring and pick up his swords and slide them back under his belt as he looked towards the Goron Elder. "While you may see it as having relied solely on equipment and tricks, I see things differently. I used what I had to offset the power imbalance between our two races. Without those boots I likely wouldn't have stepped foot into the ring in the first place. So while you don't have faith in our survival, I trust my wits and my skill with the blade will see me through this." While he was acting tough his hands were killing him and he wasn't sure exactly how well he would be able to wield his swords. He would stop at the gate to the mines and wait for Lamont before continuing.
  11. Squishy

The elder Goron nodded again.

"Fair enough."

Lamont looked between Samanosuke and the elder Goron, wisely keeping his mouth shut. He followed them to a large gate, where the Goron bent over a large chest, procuring two pairs of boots with soles of an odd, blueish metal. They were heavy, like waterlogged boots, but nothing Lamont couldn't handle, he found after he put them on. He waited for the other Hylian to put on the boots, shifting from one foot to another, excited at the prospect of all the treasure that awaited below.

An excitement that soon had a damper put on.

As the elder Goron turned to open the gates, he spoke to the two adventurers in a stern voice.

"You have earned the right to enter the mines, though I do warn the both of you, again. The depths of the mines are not for the faint of heart. Many of even our bravest warriors have met their end there." The Goron shifted uncomfortably. "It has long been a prison, a powerful evil sealed away in them. An evil that still remains."

Lamont frowned. That did not sound promising.

"Any, uh, idea on how to deal with it?"

"Don't go too deep."
  12. Devil-Steel

Samanosuke would reach down and pick up the pair of boots offered to him. They looked rather mundane aside from the bluish metal on the soles and an odd switch on the side of them. "What are these fo..." As he asked his question the young Hylian flipped the switch on the boots which caused them to move towards and stick to the nearby metal on the cave wall. Releasing his grip on the boots they would remain firmly stuck to the wall, until he flipped the switch once more causing them to fall to the ground. While he now knew what the boots did, it made him even more curious as to why they were going to be needed.

It was fairly obvious that they wouldn't be giving them such boots if they weren't going to be needed, and as such the young Hylian swapped his normal boots for these new magnetic ones. The metal on the bottom of them wasn't quite as heavy as he had thought they were going to be, though after recently wearing his iron boots it shouldn't be that big of a surprise. Now if only Yousef had given me more information on what I was doing here other than investigate the mines.